Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Castrol TWS 10W60 discontinued...Edge 10W60 now in place.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
    great info shared Ali :D ....:bow: cool now we knw wht oil to use
    Pleasure is all mine Rifo
    So its Edge and not the Edge Sport that we're supposed to use

Comment

It's the draining bolt he's got. Since it's magnetic, any metal shavings floating with the oil would be attracted to the bolt. Metal shavings are BAD NEWS! It could be your piston rings, your pistons scratching against the cylinder block, your crank journal bearings disintegrating.

Comment

SSense, when engines run on and on . Steel shards and shavings are produced from the constant friction between metal parts. If your oil is, let's say too thin for this weather or thins too quickly upon heat.
        Result will be excessive engine wear, you'd know because of the tiny pieces of metal wich are attracted by the magnets.

Not just for oil too, excessive engine wear is caused by millions of other reasons. Oil was just an example .
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks for the useful info Amr and Ayham :bow:
          Last edited by SSense; 05-09-2008, 05:24 AM.

Comment

http://www.tunermotorsport.com/html/...ID=07510009420

i guess u can still get them..............
            sigpic
            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
            Falcons Garage
            Carbotech

Comment

After a good search:

"Castrol Edge is e46 M3 compatible and Edge Sport is missing an additive for shear resistance so its not"
              sigpic
              iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
              Falcons Garage
              Carbotech

Comment

Also you can use Liqui-Moly

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...id/d_1390.html

as advised by their site, and BF.com members :)
                sigpic
                iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                Falcons Garage
                Carbotech

Comment

So I guess we have all the info we need, EDGE it is :)

Comment

Finally, it is Edge !
                    In the mean time what im gonna do is, use the TWS till it goes out of market.
                    Last edited by SSense; 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Castrol has come up with EDGE 10W-60 for special BMW M-Series engines, approved by BMW. Looks like this is the correct replacement of TWS, could someone confirm if Performance is selling the EDGE for BMW M-Series engines or normal Edge ?
                      Here's a pic of the new one

Last edited by SSense; 28-09-2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

The only factory approved oil for the E46 M3 is the Castrol 10w-60 TWS Motorsport oil available at dealers and BMW performance shops.

This oil was introduced after the introduction of the S54 engine due to problems with oil lubricated parts failing (such as connecting rod bearings.) It is the only "officially" approved oil for the S54 engine, although other vendors may at some time sell a comparable oil - none are at the moment.

The best way to get affordable 10w-60 Castrol for your M3 in the USA is to get a BMW CCA membership (includes cool monthly BMW "Roundel" magazine and other discounts and event information) and then call around to your local dealers to get your BMW CCA member discount oil price. Should be around $8.90/Qt. with the discount. If you change your own oil too, you'll get a discount on the filter also which should be around $9 with the discount.

The capacity of the S54 engine as used in the E46/M3 is 5.5 liters. Do NOT overfill!

The BMW Part Number for the oil-filter kit is: 11427833769 - this includes all needed seals and crush washers.

BMW Car Club of America (BMW-CCA): http://www.bmwcca.org

NOTE: Due to the engine problems experienced with the 2001-2003 M3 engines, BMW has added an extended engine warranty to these vehicles - that covers the engines to 100,000 miles OR 6 years from "In-service date" (whichever comes first.) This warranty ONLY covers oil lubricated parts internal to the engine (stuff on the outside is NOT covered). If you use other than the specified oil (Castrol TWS 10W-60) BMW is very likely to declare your extended engine warranty null and void.

the tws was not discontinued... they have produced a batch in april 2008

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful detailed write up Bruno.
                          But incase you dont find TWS anywhere, what will you end up filling your car with ?
                          The new Castrol Edge for M engines or... ?

Comment

I had done some research a while back on this and did find out that Castrol edge 10W 60 is the right oil for M cars and NOT edge sport. But I could not find edge 10W 60 in the UAE all I found was the edge sport. I usualy order my TWS from the USA it comes out much cheaper. Anyone know where to get the cheapest TWS in UAE?
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                            Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                            Schrick cams
                            Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                            Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                            KW Coilovers V3
                            WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
                              I had done some research a while back on this and did find out that Castrol edge 10W 60 is the right oil for M cars and NOT edge sport. But I could not find edge 10W 60 in the UAE all I found was the edge sport. I usualy order my TWS from the USA it comes out much cheaper. Anyone know where to get the cheapest TWS in UAE?
                              Alqassim, TWS is available here in Alain. If you want I can bring the quantity you want whenever I come down to Dubai, no probs :)
                              BTW Edge is available with Top Performance in Dubai, moreover, if you are a officialy registered member of this club you can avail 15% on all Castrol oils.
                              Last edited by SSense; 04-10-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                                Alqassim, TWS is available here in Alain. If you want I can bring the quantity you want whenever I come down to Dubai, no probs :)
                                BTW Edge is available with Top Performance in Dubai, moreover, if you are a officialy registered member of this club you can avail 15% on all Castrol oils.
                                IS this the one in Al Quoz? DO you have their contact? I need a couple of bottles urgently. Anyone has some to spare?
                                My Past BMWs
                                1972 2002 Ti, 1986 E30 318i, 1988 E30 325i, 1996 E36 320i, 2002 E46 330ci, 2003 E53 4.4V8

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X