Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Castrol TWS 10W60 discontinued...Edge 10W60 now in place.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castrol TWS 10W60 discontinued...Edge 10W60 now in place.

As the title says...I've got in touch with Top Performance to secure our Club a number of Castrol TWS 10W60 bottles sufficient for many oil changes for all ya'll. They got in touch with the Castrol agent here and they told them that the TWS oil has been discontinued 3 years ago. The bottles we're able to secure here and there and the remaining of it and soon it won't be found anywhere.

Castrol has replaced it with Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 for our applications (E46 M3 and E39 M5 engines)...So for the guys who debated this a while ago, it's safe and suitable for your engines.

hmmm .... sad news but if Edge is gonna make no difference then why not !
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

I hope both are same and theres no harm to our engines

Comment

If I remember my university education correctly, then both are the same.

Comment

Well Both oils are of the same grade 10W60............. But i believe that they are different in base, and that should be looked into :)

I'd say check with BMW dealars and see what do they use in their M engines now since TWS is not available.
          sigpic
          iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
          Falcons Garage
          Carbotech

Comment

However.........Castrol no longer make TWS and the replacement for TWS is CASTROL EDGE 10W-60 ( Not CASTROL EDGE 10W-60 SPORT ........BE CAREFULL THERE IS A DIFFERENCE ) Edge 10W-60 is the replacement for TWS - they stressed that this is not the same oil as 10W-60 Sport. According to the Castrol website, Castrol Edge 10w60 is recommended for BMW M cars.

Before 2000, BMW specified either Veedol 10w-60 or Castrol RS 10w-60 for the S62 engine pre-03/2000. In 2000 BMW put out a Service Bulletin that announced that Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w-60 was replacing Castrol RS 10w-60 for "M" engines.
            The history was that Castrol RS 10w-60 was BMW Motorsport's chosen race-engine oil (Motorsport makes racing stuff, "M" makes cars).

In 2005, Castrol introduced EDGE and EDGE SPORT. According to Castrol UK EDGE 10w-60 is THE SAME formulation as TWS, EDGE SPORT is a different oil - and the EDGE datasheet supports this.
            The V8 M3 GTR mentions it on the spec sheet, and Formula BMW engines are factory sealed with TWS inside. TWS is a rare beast in the world of motor oil - a combination of base stocks and additives that survive for extended drains, and that provide performance levels suitable for real racing, not just weekend jaunts.

In the end I think we still need to find out the difference between Castrol EDGE 10W60 and Castrol EDGE SPORT 10W60 before pouring it in our engines !
            Last edited by SSense; 05-09-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post
              Well Both oils are of the same grade 10W60............. But i believe that they are different in base, and that should be looked into :)

I'd say check with BMW dealars and see what do they use in their M engines now since TWS is not available.
              EVERYBODY read more about the differences and do what you think is right, we all know MORE than the engineers at BMW, they'd say use any 10w60 Castrol....what do those dummies know anyways????
              Last edited by SSense; 05-09-2008, 05:20 AM.

Comment

That's what I also heard, EDGE Sport is not the same as TWS, or EDGE now, and thus I will secure the EDGE shipment from Top Performance for us.

SSense, could you give us a linkie from the Castrol web?

Comment

**The EDGE Sport in the title before was a typo. Corrected to EDGE only.**

Comment

Boss, thats what i read somewhere, cant find the link though.
                    Ive got the Castrol manufacturer's number in Dubai, will call them on Sunday
                    and see what they've got to say about both Edge and Edge Sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                      and thus I will secure the EDGE shipment from Top Performance for us.
                      Boss, who are Top Performance and what do they do ? Could you brief more pls
                      Also if you want to have a decent oil change done by some experts, who do you usually go to ?

Comment

I take it to Falcons Garage. Bruno's got us magnetic oil pan bolts now to see how your engine is doin' on the next oil change (metal shavings or none) :)

Here's a link to Top Performance's thread: http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368

Comment

Btw, Jaics got in touch with Castrol last morning and they said we can use EDGE instead of TWS. Just telling you to double check...

Comment

great info shared Ali :D ....:bow: cool now we knw wht oil to use
                            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                            eMail:
                            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

I recently had the oil pan ordered from Germany and got it changed , i wonder how did the old oil pan start the minor leak, it costed me 1300 Dhs with the gasket.
                              You've mentioned, Bruno has got magnetic oil pan bolts, how would you know how an engine is doing ?

Comment

Working...
                              X