X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy snowfall on Ras Al Khaimah's Jebel Jais mountain cluster
    By Nasouh Nazzal, Staff Reporter
    Published: January 24, 2009, 19:47

Ras Al Khaimah: Snow fell heavily on the mountains of Ras Al Khaimah on Friday night, leaving the Jebel Jais range covered in a thick white blanket of snow.

The extreme cold spell brought the temperature on top of the Jebel Jais mountain cluster, situated at a height of 5,700 feet, to as low as -3 degree Celsius on Friday night, as the snow blanketed an area extending over 5kms.

Major Saeed Rashid Al Yamahi, Manager of the Air Wing of RAK Police, who flew a helicopter to the top of the Jebel Jais mountain, said that the entire area was covered with 10 cm of snow.

"The sight up there this morning was totally unbelievable with the snow-capped mountain and the entire area covered with fresh, dazzling white snow. The snowfall started at 3pm on Friday afternoon and heavy snowfall began at 8 pm and continued till midnight, covering the entire area in a thick blanket of snow," he said.

The temperature on top of the mountain cluster remained extremely cold during the daytime on Saturday with the temperature rising to just 1 degree Celsius in the afternoon. "Much of the snow was still there even when we flew back from the mountain this afternoon. It is still freezing cold up there and there are chances that it might snow again on Saturday night," Major Al Yamahi added.

M. V. Varghese, Observer at the RAK Airport Meteorological Office, said that there were scattered rains in Ras Al Khaimah on Friday night which brought the temperature down. "The rain along with the cold easterly winds and low-lying clouds could have bought the temperatures further down on the mountains," he said.

Plans for mountain resort
    Ras Al Khaimah had experienced heavy snowing on Jebel Jais mountains four years ago on December 28, 2004. "I had flown there in 2004 when it snowed, but this time it was much bigger and the snowing lasted longer as well," said Major Al Yamahi.

The Jebel Jais mountain cluster is situated around 25kms from Ras Al Khaimah City and normally has significantly lower temperatures even during the peak summer months.

Ras Al Khaimah has plans to capitalise on the attractive climate and spectacular scenery of Jebel Jais by building a mountain resort and ski slope on top of the mountains.

:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

this is the funniest thing i read in 2009! a resort + ski slope and it snows for 3-4 hours every 4 years!! i'm not underestimating the fact that it snowed in the desert, but come on let's be reasonable!

that's what it takes to build a ski slope :bow:

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
      [Ras Al Khaimah has plans to capitalise on the attractive climate and spectacular scenery of Jebel Jais by building a mountain resort and ski slope on top of the mountains. [/I][/SIZE]

this is the funniest thing i read in 2009! a resort + ski slope and it snows for 3-4 hours every 4 years!! i'm not underestimating the fact that it snowed in the desert, but come on let's be reasonable!

:rofl: I guess they're planning to make business only for those 3-4 hours, they might also notificating people when it snows to check in their resort before the melt down :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post

Heavy snowfall on Ras Al Khaimah's Jebel Jais mountain cluster
        By Nasouh Nazzal, Staff Reporter
        Published: January 24, 2009, 19:47

Ras Al Khaimah: Snow fell heavily on the mountains of Ras Al Khaimah on Friday night, leaving the Jebel Jais range covered in a thick white blanket of snow.

The extreme cold spell brought the temperature on top of the Jebel Jais mountain cluster, situated at a height of 5,700 feet, to as low as -3 degree Celsius on Friday night, as the snow blanketed an area extending over 5kms.

Major Saeed Rashid Al Yamahi, Manager of the Air Wing of RAK Police, who flew a helicopter to the top of the Jebel Jais mountain, said that the entire area was covered with 10 cm of snow.

"The sight up there this morning was totally unbelievable with the snow-capped mountain and the entire area covered with fresh, dazzling white snow. The snowfall started at 3pm on Friday afternoon and heavy snowfall began at 8 pm and continued till midnight, covering the entire area in a thick blanket of snow," he said.

The temperature on top of the mountain cluster remained extremely cold during the daytime on Saturday with the temperature rising to just 1 degree Celsius in the afternoon. "Much of the snow was still there even when we flew back from the mountain this afternoon. It is still freezing cold up there and there are chances that it might snow again on Saturday night," Major Al Yamahi added.

M. V. Varghese, Observer at the RAK Airport Meteorological Office, said that there were scattered rains in Ras Al Khaimah on Friday night which brought the temperature down. "The rain along with the cold easterly winds and low-lying clouds could have bought the temperatures further down on the mountains," he said.

Plans for mountain resort
        Ras Al Khaimah had experienced heavy snowing on Jebel Jais mountains four years ago on December 28, 2004. "I had flown there in 2004 when it snowed, but this time it was much bigger and the snowing lasted longer as well," said Major Al Yamahi.

The Jebel Jais mountain cluster is situated around 25kms from Ras Al Khaimah City and normally has significantly lower temperatures even during the peak summer months.

Ras Al Khaimah has plans to capitalise on the attractive climate and spectacular scenery of Jebel Jais by building a mountain resort and ski slope on top of the mountains.

Actually I've heard of this plan of building a ski resort about 4 years ago, some of my friends were approached to be investors on the project... but nothing happened... so far
        ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
          Actually I've heard of this plan of building a ski resort about 4 years ago, some of my friends were approached to be investors on the project... but nothing happened... so far
          so it's true they bring the subject out every 4 years :lol:

BMW history:

Comment

lol ...okay okay they're going WAY too far haha
            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

*Skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiii- ROCK !!! blammm - Craackkk - Ambulance *

The easiest way to commit suicide, without making it look like suicide. The LEGAL way.

'Welcome to the Middle Easts only Ski Resort, Jebel Jais Ski-drome"
              2008 325i coupe
              Stock

Comment

they say it's 1900 meters above sea level is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
                  *Skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiii- ROCK !!! blammm - Craackkk - Ambulance *

The easiest way to commit suicide, without making it look like suicide. The LEGAL way.
                  loool exactlat i was thinking :lol:

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
                  'Welcome to the Middle Easts only Ski Resort, Jebel Jais Ski-drome"
                  :nono:

there's plenty of ski slopes in lebanon with a number of resorts etc.. the pic i posted is from faraya-lebanon ;)

BMW history:

Comment

Dubai: A 29-year-old Bahraini man died in a car crash in Festival City tunnel in Dubai on Sunday morning, Dubai Police said.

The car broke into two from the impact after it hit a streetlight pole killing the driver on the spot. Police said the victim, who was apparently speeding, lost control of the car that swerved and hit the pole.
                    Its an S Class and it looks real bad ! May God rest his soul in peace..

Source: http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10278920.html

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post

Its an S Class and it looks real bad ! May God rest his soul in peace..

Source: http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10278920.html
                      damn! may his soul rest in peace :(

BMW history:

Comment

may he rest in peace

damn that S-class is in such a bad shape, he must've been in such a high speed!
                        Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
                        19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
                        M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

High speed at festival city ?? ... no comment ...

R.I.P !!
                          Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                          Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                          Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                          Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                          1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                          eMail:
                          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

R.I.P , but honestly I'm not sad or anything.
                            The reason why most people think radars are there to generate money, youre wrong. That's why ^ there so many of them ! To stop people like him ... again, R.I.P .
                            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

is this day ever gonna END?! I actually fell asleep in the car on my way back form Abu Dhabi to the office... I slept from Safa interchange to the DIFC, hehe... not much but I had resisted all the way through!!!

and no I wasn't driving.. I know I'm a good driver, but I fear those around me ;)

anyone there? keep me company!?
                              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

lol i dont think u wud have been typing this out if u were driving! :P
                                Current
                                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                                E36 318is
                                E39 540i ///M sport
                                VW CC
                                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                                X