No announcement yet.

SMG Pump Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that u had a badly misbalanced clutch plate thats why the wear on the inside is great comparing it to the outter edge. and a two peice throw-out bearing is a result of hard, harsh, and explosive driving :)

Yalla man a fresh clutch kit, and there has to be a fresh new style of driving....
    sigpic
    iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
    Falcons Garage
    Carbotech

Comment

Just a friendly advice, if your clutch was in that condition I would hate to see what your flywheel condition is like, so if your flywheel isn't that smooth I recommend to machine it like brake discs if possible without taking rarely anything off it, otherwise if its not machinable then I recommend a new flywheel. An uneven flywheel will cause ur soft launches from 0 very jerky and you will have a jitter because of that.
      That was my mistake when I installed the HPF clutch, they looked at my flywheel in *** and said it was fine although there was very minor grooves in it, and now I feel it every time I launch very slow, jitter is there, should have sorted out my flywheel there and then, not worth the labor cost now...

Comment

^^^i second samer's advice and make sure they do machine it not just sandpaper it :)
        sigpic
        iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
        Falcons Garage
        Carbotech

Comment

I already spoke to shak regarding my flywheel. He said "it is absolutely fine" and they will machine it ... I'll re-check 2mrw morning to see what happened... Gonna keep u guys updated ..
          Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
          Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
          Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
          Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
          1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
          eMail:
          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Good luck bro, and make sure the clutch is 100% aligned.
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Some more friendy advice !!!. When was the last time anybody machined a dual mass fly wheel ? Brake disc's I can understand but Dual Mass flywheel !! come on boy's stop cutting corners.Dual Mass flywheel is a complex and very highly balanced component.Read the following and you will understand why.

Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)
              The OEM flywheel found in most modern manual transmissions (as well as semi-automatic transmissions like the Audi/VW DSG and BMW SMG) is classified as a dual-mass flywheel (DMF). The DMF is designed to eliminate engine vibrations before they are transferred to the drivetrain.

A DMF is tuned by the manufacturer to match engine torque and horsepower curves, engine harmonics, and vehicle load dynamics, based on transmission gear ratios as well as overall rolling diameter of the rims and tires. It is constructed by splitting the standard single mass flywheel in half. The primary section bolts to the engine crankshaft and the second section is where the clutch assembly is installed. Contained within the two sections is a complex system of varying rate springs, axle and radial bearings, and lubrication. The two halves are rubber-sealed. The aforementioned series of components is referred to as the friction pack. The main purpose of the friction pack is to absorb vibration, allowing for smooth, comfortable shifting, low speed driveability, and reduced drivetrain noise.

When increasing the horsepower of a vehicle, the DMF can be the weakest link. It is designed with an over-torque friction release. As engine torque is increased, the flywheel has the potential to overload. To protect itself, the flywheel will slip, causing a reduction in torque, protecting the internal springs.

Pros: Reduced noise, smoother shifting, increased fuel economy, longer engine life.
              Cons: High replacement cost, can prematurely fail if horsepower and torque are increased, can slip under increased load, 8-11 degrees of movement before clutch engagement.

PS. I did not say I will machine Rifo's fly wheel.There are no marks on the fly wheel surface,but there is excessive movement between the two fly wheels 8-15 deg which means there will be more delay in shifting gears at low speeds.
              Last edited by Shak; 27-01-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

True...

Rotating mass balancing is one the toughest sciences, a milligram off a design weight is catastrophic in a rotating mass.

If it's broken, it's just that..

Comment

Shak will that delay be noticeable ? and how many KMs approx. I need to drive to embed the clutch in ..

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                  Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                  eMail:
                  Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Was there much of a delay at low speeds before the clutch failed ?

Comment

very slight !!

Need Assistance?
                      eMail:
                      Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                        Was there much of a delay at low speeds before the clutch failed ?
                        I have a delay sometimes from 3rd to 4th on low RPMs (traffic)

Comment

Is yours machined ?
                          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Update!

Just to update you guys....

Clutch is fixed and the car was bled around 5 times. Engine & Transmission mounts were changed as well. Car is running smoothly now, but I'm just waiting to let the clutch embed in the system so I can test drive the gear changes speed..

Need Assistance?
                            eMail:
                            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
                              Just to update you guys....

Clutch is fixed and the car was bled around 5 times. Engine & Transmission mounts were changed as well. Car is running smoothly now, but I'm just waiting to let the clutch embed in the system so I can test drive the gear changes speed..

a typical rifo :rofl:

:runaway:

Comment

No he has to in this case....

Comment

Working...
                                X