Newbie saying hi - going racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
    Will, What kind of cooling mods are you doing? Where?
    I'm having my guy int he UK do them.

Car needs the oil cooler it's currently got connecting, plus another one fitting. It currently has no fans on the radiator, so it's having the biggest pair of electric fans I can find fitted and wired up (plus manual control within the car). It then also needs ducting within the front bumper/splitter to channel air to the rad.

Comment

Great...You may want to check on the T-Stat that's running there. Stock S54 stats are rated at 75C, BMW Motorsport T-stat is rated at 50C. Since the car raced in Europe, I doubt they have changed the T-stat. If it turns out it's not, I have one as we speak that can save you the waiting time.

How bigger is the OC?

Comment

Originally posted by will_968 View Post
        Thank you for the welcome guys.

Not going to have quite that much power. It's a std S54 engine, with the stronger bolts, VANOS removed, Carbon airbox, free-flow exhaust and custom KMS ECU. I'm told it puts out 356bhp.

And it weighs 1,130kg.

The power to weight regs for GTB are a maximum of 3.9kg/bhp. I think I've got the following:
        356bhp - 15% transmission losses = 302bhp at the wheels
        (1130kg + 90kg for the driver)/302 = 4.0 kg/bhp

Which puts me pretty close to the top of the regs for the power to weight classification for GTB. Much more power and I'll be pushed up to GTA, which isn't somewhere I want to be playing just yet.

So who else is racing here then? There appear to be a few cryptic clues above that I'll not be the only e36 M3 on the grid come October? Come on guys - fess-up! Not that I can do anything about it now anyway - car's bought, is having some more cooling added, and will be on it's way out here shortly.
        Will, CONGRATS!!!! BTW the car which you currently have has been my dream car, perhaps I can pick it up from you after you are bored.

This car is VERY fast, I believe there are some incar footage floating around (did you ask the previous teams?). I am willing to bet you ten bucks that the claimed hp is to the wheels. I have seen built S54s putting down 350hp without the tricks you car has:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e90...yno-chart.html

With a simple exhaust and street software the car pushes high 200s.

I say its a VERY competitive GTA car. You can add ballast to run GTB and possibly remove it next year if you want to run GTA?

Lutfy

Comment

You might be right about power Lutfy, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'm afraid that whilst I'm no dyno expert, I know enough about them that you can make them say whatever you want. So unless 2 cars are side by side, on the same day, on the same dyno, I think it's pretty close to meaningless.

I'm fairly sure I should be GTB though. Think the Cup and RS GT3s should be enough to play with for my first foray into racing - don't fancy tackling the DBRS9 Aston or the Vipers just yet. We'll see.

My biggest concern is ME stepping up to the mark, and being able to get the most out of the thing.

Comment

welcome aboard :hi: & great choice on the M3 :bow:

you've come to the right place so hope you enjoy ur stay with our club ;)

BMW history:
            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

welcome will, nice car !

Comment

Welcome Abroad :) ... Sweet Ride you've Got There :drool:
                sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                E23 735i - Sold

Comment

Welcome to the club and nice racing car you got :)
                  '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                  '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                  '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                  '92 E36 325i Black
                  History:
                  '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                  '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                  '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                  '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

Welcome to the club will... Enjoy your stay :)

Comment

Welcome to the club my man, we can surely put your race experience to good use here as well. Lets say a trade of for the valuable info.
                      Current
                      2004 EVO VIII
                      Previous
                      2002 :///M:5, 2003 :///M:3, 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2003 330ci
                      2006 S2000, 1999 :///M:Coupe, 1992 E34 :///M:5
                      1999 EVO VI, 2000 Lumina SS

Comment

Working...
                      X