Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie saying hi - going racing

Hi Guys,

Newbie here saying hi and introducing myself.

My name's Will and I moved out to Dubai about 9 months ago and have just bought my first BMW. I've owned various other German sports cars before, including a heavily modified track Porsche 968 as well as currently owning a W124 Mercedes E500 here in Dubai.

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to go racing, and to enter the new Dubai GT Championship. An e36 M3 seemed like the cheapest way to be competitive, and I looked at the various merits of having a car built either back home in the UK, here in Dubai, or importing a ready built race car from the UK.

After a fair bit of due diligence, I've bought myself one. It's an e36 M3 Saloon car... but is a bit special. It's an ex-Dutch GT Championship car, built from a new chassis by Carly Motors on behalf of BMW Holland. It raced there and also in the Dutch Supercars before being bought by Erik Qvick of Qvick Motors where it raced in the Belcar series, winning it's class with 7 victories out of 11 races in 2007 when it last raced.

The spec is as follows:
    S54 engine, with the VANOS removed, ARP rod bolts, carbon airbox and KMS ECU and race loom.
    Full Safety Devices multipoint FIA approved cage
    JRZ 2-way remote reservoir race dampers.
    AP Racing 6 pot brakes on the front and 4 pot on the rear
    120 Liter ATL carbon fuel cell with quickfill
    AP airjacks
    WTCC Wishbones
    Fully rose jointed front and rear
    e46 GTR arches

Here's some pics:

As I said at the start - I'm completely new to BMW ownership, and am missing 90% of the contacts I'll need to run and race the car here in Dubai. So please bear with me while I ask a lot of dumbass questions.

I'm told there were a few other BMWs that ran in the Touring Cars last year. If the owners/drivers wanted to drop me a PM and say hi, I'd appreciate it, as I've got a lot to learn.

Anyway - nice to meet you all, and I look forward to getting to know some of you better.

Oh, and a hi and thank you to Lutfy (if that's what he goes by on here), who pointed me in this direction from evolve.ae .

Welcome to the Club Will.
    I'm very sure you will be contacted as there are many track BMW enthusiasts over here. Enjoy your stay.

Seductive Dream...Upcoming
    Current: BMW530i E60 2004, Monaco Blue.

Comment

welcome will...

you got yourself a nice car there. congrats. and hope to meet you soon.

Comment

Hello Will, I'm also an evolve.ae member under the nickname "never dies". I'm sorry about your 968 mishap earlier this year...

Let me just say that you did the right call with this car; buy somebody else's headache! The E36 is a VERY, VERY competitive chassis with minimum aftermarket intervention. Lutfy (that's his nickname here too) has raced 5 of these, he can be a very valuable source of info. I know most of the cars on the grid for this year, are you in GT-B class? Your advantage IMO would be harassing the bigger cars on every corner, you'd be surprized how this thing drives ;) And I'm glad you're running the engine locked; it's a nightmare to tune the VANOS and your power graph looks the same with and without it. One major PITA in racing is off your shoulders.

Did you get any spares with the car? Any setup sheets? As for resource to run the car for next season, I can say you're good here. Falcons or *** will defo hook you up now that you're a Club member. As for parts, the whatever standard part left in your car we can secure from affiliated local vendors. Race parts are also attainable through our network of US performance shops (Bimmerworld, TMS, UUC, etc..) Technical know how, plenty of that here! You can get in touch with member "SilverM" as he's racing a race-prepped E46 M3 in Qatar, great guy and a freakishly fast toy.

Welcome here....

Comment

:welcome2: Aboard Will

Glad to see another maniac join the community of maniacs ;)

Comment

hi Will
            welcome here, we are glad to have ppl with racing experience here,
            as Ayham said the guys here have a very strong network of spare parts tuning parts and shops
            Welcome again :)
            I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

hi will :welcome3: :D it's great to see another evolver here :D :hug:

nice car :drool:
              Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

:welcome3: aboard, welcome to the BMWCLUBUAE family bro

Comment

Welcome to the Club Will,
                  Welcome to the Club race prepped E36 M3.

This is going to be interesting.
                  sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                  LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                  P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                  Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

:welcome2: aboard
                    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Welcome home :)

It's going to be a very interesting year with all these M3's being race prepped.

BTW, how much does the car weigh, and what is the hp?
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                      Schrick cams
                      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                      KW Coilovers V3
                      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
                        Welcome home :)

It's going to be a very interesting year with all these M3's being race prepped.

BTW, how much does the car weigh, and what is the hp?
                        If I may take a wild guess I'd say around 1100kg/400bhp?

Comment

Thank you for the welcome guys.

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          If I may take a wild guess I'd say around 1100kg/400bhp?
                          Not going to have quite that much power. It's a std S54 engine, with the stronger bolts, VANOS removed, Carbon airbox, free-flow exhaust and custom KMS ECU. I'm told it puts out 356bhp.

And it weighs 1,130kg.

The power to weight regs for GTB are a maximum of 3.9kg/bhp. I think I've got the following:
                          356bhp - 15% transmission losses = 302bhp at the wheels
                          (1130kg + 90kg for the driver)/302 = 4.0 kg/bhp

Which puts me pretty close to the top of the regs for the power to weight classification for GTB. Much more power and I'll be pushed up to GTA, which isn't somewhere I want to be playing just yet.

So who else is racing here then? There appear to be a few cryptic clues above that I'll not be the only e36 M3 on the grid come October? Come on guys - fess-up! Not that I can do anything about it now anyway - car's bought, is having some more cooling added, and will be on it's way out here shortly.

Comment

welcome to the forums Will.. that really is a beautiful looking car! I :drool: over the airbox... WOW!!
                            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Will, What kind of cooling mods are you doing? Where?

Comment

Working...
                              X