No announcement yet.

E39 M5 Suspension ideas and advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay upfront for a good set of coilovers once and for all and call it a day.
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
      Pay upfront for a good set of coilovers once and for all and call it a day.
      + 1
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

So after finally driving my own car a bit I noticed the immense body roll when changing lanes (The way I change lanes!) and thus I will really need to stiffen this car up..

I really do not wish to spend over 4K on this project..

pls advise guys.. anyone any ideas..

So far Reutermotorsports offered me custom made shock and spring set up for under 4K.

Also offering me Bilstein B8 but I think ill need springs to go with as thats only shock..
        Current:
        2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
        2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
        2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
        1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
        1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

Comment

one word coilovers

Comment

I believe the most effective way to reduce body roll is stiffer sway bars. They are not expensive and the best cure.

However, I might be wrong.

If you want to see how te car feels with coilovers, have a ride in Bruno's car and you shall know the difference first hand.
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

definitely some coilovers... the way u drive Naj, u need those puppies! slight problem with the cost though, hehe
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Naj View Post
                (The way I change lanes!)
                +1000

u crazy arse tattooed guy :D

take it easy baba!!! i was pissing myself when you test drove my car

anyways, coming back to the subject, coilovers are the best and most cost effective way to stiffen the car

you may go for a set of shorter and stiffer springs but finally u will end up with buying coilovers

KW baba

save your money from RED colored plastics and spend it on real modifications ya3ni

Comment

So after finally driving my own car a bit I noticed the immense body roll when changing lanes (The way I change lanes!) and thus I will really need to stiffen this car up..

I really do not wish to spend over 4K on this project..

pls advise guys.. anyone any ideas..

So far Reutermotorsports offered me custom made shock and spring set up for under 4K.

Also offering me Bilstein B8 but I think ill need springs to go with as thats only shock..
                  Bilstein B8's are great, stiff as a rock but as you said, they're missing springs. If you can get your hands on a set of matched rate springs then go for it. It's the next best thing after coilovers.

OR

You can go the extra mile and save yourself the headache. Pay for the coilovers now and enjoy them later instead of doing the opposite with a shock/spring combo. You will most probably track the car or atleast have some skid pan fun with it, right ?

Coilovers FTW!!
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

B&G are made in Austria i think.. had those on my calibra 10 years ago :) LOL.. all i know that the springs were 70/50mm and after 6 month my car was lower 85/70!!!!!!!

If you dont want to spend.. and i know you are greedy.. I would recommend the Reuter Motorsport suspension.. Go and learn german and you can read some reviews on the net :)
                    sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                    Dubai Investment Park 2
                    The Curve Building Complex
                    Warehouse No.1
                    P.O Box 28638
                    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                    Office: +97148830851
                    Web: www.simonmotorsport.com
                    Email: Franz@simonmotorsport.com
                    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonmotorsportdxb
                    Instagram: http://instagram.com/simon_motorsport_dubai#

Comment

haha lol at the greedy part

Comment

Most folks put in coilover based on price. Or suspension stuff off the shelf. If the car is going to be on the street, I say stay with street stuff and change the shocks to Sachs or at most Bilsteins. You put a lot of strain on the subframe, bushings etc. Your bushings will be toast with the bumps and such with an aftermarket stuff. THen you will have to upgrade the bushings to poly or such. Next thing you know, the car drives like a truck. The M5 share the same suspension geometry/setup as the 2003 540 Sport. Those spring rates are awesome for the weight of the car.

We had done tons of testing against aftermarket stuff back in the US back to back. Most of the suspension gets you the feel. Laptime only dropped with quality stuff eg. Motons/JRZs etc. They will set you back $5K USD. On the street they were still pretty frustrating.

Just my humble .02 cents.

Lutfy

Comment

and Naj is still thiiiiinkinggg... might go with reuters and some additional swap bars. Bushes will require changing soon enough.. thing is I cant really afford to drop the car due to where I live.. :(
                          Current:

Past ///M's:
                          2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++

Comment

Orrr..

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-33...9-540i-m5.aspx

1100USD
                            Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

That's what I'm running, they're beautiful!! Car's really solid and handles really well!

I'm running bigger sways than factory and my car weighs a little more than a Lotus Elise, that helps too.

But, they are much much better than any OEM set. Height adjustable and stiff enough for the the wackiest street maneuvers. Will perform really good on track too, given the correct alignment and settings.

You're car will stay solid and planted, barely any body roll and less squating upon acceleration and braking. Better turn in. Oversteering will be much easier and controllable. The car will transform!

They are Bilstein quality, don't need to explain there. I've had a couple of unfortunate encounters with speed bumps at pretty high speeds and managed to get airborn once or twice, they took it and smiled! And, simply driving them in Lebanon is enough!!

You have my blessing!

Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X