E36 Convertible Carbon Fiber door cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your loss Nick. My condolences

About the E36's door panels, im afraid the material that was recommended to you is great for interior trim but not for door panels and seats etc. for that you need carbon fiber VINYL which is thicker and will do the job right and also you will need 3M high temp spray glue.
    EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
      Sorry to hear about your loss Nick. My condolences

About the E36's door panels, im afraid the material that was recommended to you is great for interior trim but not for door panels and seats etc. for that you need carbon fiber VINYL which is thicker and will do the job right and also you will need 3M high temp spray glue.
      Thank you.

I have emailed Freddys asking if they can help, but never got a reply. I have heard they are good for re-trimming. I would love some real CF door cards, but again, I have no idea where you can get them from in Bahrain!

Great to have another Bahrain member here, I thought there were just the 2 of us... now there are 3 :)

Comment

Originally posted by nicktruman View Post
        Thank you.

I have emailed Freddys asking if they can help, but never got a reply. I have heard they are good for re-trimming. I would love some real CF door cards, but again, I have no idea where you can get them from in Bahrain!

Great to have another Bahrain member here, I thought there were just the 2 of us... now there are 3 :)
        As 0-60 stated, you need CF vinyl for the door cards and not fabric. Plus, 3M high temp spray adhesive.

But, it doesn't end there.

Installation is critical!

You need lay this stuff down properly in all the bends and creases, 3M adhesive spray gives you a little margin to move the piece around a bit, so use it to your advantage. If you can get your hands on a small roller, it'll help smooth out the straight flat area in the middle of the card. Try to find anything that can roll out bubbles and flatten crease WITHOUT crushing them and making them permenent. When you get to the door hand and mirror switch, just cut cross pattern with a very sharp blade, if the blades week it'll spoil the material. Make sure not to cut too close to the corners though or it'll show. Bend the triangles back and glue those with 3M adhesive spray as well.
        For the rim/sides of the card, bend back a good amount of material so it can grip the back side without slipping quickly over time. Again, with the spray but don't use binder clips alone to hold them down and tight, they will leave a mark! If you want to, get a thin straight piece of wood, glue a stretch of soft thick fabric on one side and use that to press the outside (visible) side of the vinyl on the card. In other words, sandwich the vinyl on the door card between the wood and another piece of wood on the back (door) side, use a vise or something similar.

Good luck ! Any question or help, PM me. Post photos throughout the process as well.
        DIY FTW !!

Cheers !
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

^ Good explanation ^
          EURO 04 M3
          Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

^ Good explanation ^
            Thanks! Learnt it the hard way bro!
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

Well guys I learnt the hard way :( Parked my car at the airport whilst i went to Egypt for 3 days, came back and one door has completely peeled off! What a waste of time and money. I guess the loctite spray adhesive wasn't high enough temperature!

Back to the drawing board.........

I emailed Freddys in Sitra twice, but they never replied :(

Comment

Originally posted by nicktruman View Post
                Well guys I learnt the hard way :( Parked my car at the airport whilst i went to Egypt for 3 days, came back and one door has completely peeled off! What a waste of time and money. I guess the loctite spray adhesive wasn't high enough temperature!

Back to the drawing board.........

I emailed Freddys in Sitra twice, but they never replied :(
                You should've read the above post of "learnt it the hard way", guess it was too late by then though!
                You shouldn've used Loctite, it wont hold long enough and is very weak when it comes to heat. 3M #77 adhesive IS the way to go!!

Clean up the old CF trim you already made, the one that pealed off. But, use 3M #77 this time. ACE Hardware should stock it in the aerosol can section. But, clean up everything with alcohol, make sure there's no glue flakes left from the old adhesive.
                And, when youre using 3M. Spray from a distance of about 20CM, don't spray too close or the glue will end up real thick and it won't dry properly. Make an even spray pattern with even thickness all around. And DO NOT apply the CF as soon as you spray, give it a minute for it to get tacky. This stuff is aerosol remember? After a minute, lay it all down carefully.

Bro, patience is what decides the end result!

Again, good luck !!

Comment

Too late I am afraid! As per the pictures earlier in the thread i did the job a few weeks ago when i recived the cloth!
                  Hopefuly if i get some 3m spray i can repair it!
                  Where is Ace hardware, I haven't heard of that shop?

Comment

Honestly, I don't know if Ace has a branch in Bahrain. Maby across the bridge in Saudi ?
                    If not, then check hardware shops. If the above fail, then maby someone coming from UAE can drop it off for you or atleast drop it in Saudi and somone could pick it up for you then.

Comment

Nick PM me and we'll meet up and i'll give you the spray glue i used on the trim.
                      EURO 04 M3

Comment

Nick PM me and we'll meet up and i'll give you the spray glue i used on the trim.
                        Hi,
                        I was just going to PM you, which I will do anyway and I had an email rom a company in the UK that makes CF trims for the e21 and e30, they have just announced that they are to start making trims for the E36 YEH!!
                        I got an email stating that they will be ready in 8 weeks.

the company is called performance trim (www.performance-trim.com) they look quite good and reasonable.

They have promised to email when ready.

on a different note, I was told there are some car scrap yards near Riffa, do you know where? I found a bad one in Salmabad, but they must be some better yards around..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by nicktruman; 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Thats awesome Bro!
                          EURO 04 M3

Comment

I went to Freddys in Salmabad yesterday and looked at his work, simple stunning!
                            So I am hooked... I will take my car along after Eid and get my doors fixed.

Comment

Working...
                            X