How to make the club car faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shorty22 View Post
    there a guy here in perth with a 318is m44, he managed to run a 16.07 quarter mile, he has done,
    Extractors
    superchip chip ( raised redline to 7000rpm )
    K&N pod dumped into body kit ( custom cold air intake )
    light weight fly wheel
    custom extractors back exasut system with magnaflow twin muffler
    ported and polished head
    ported and polished inlet manifold
    ported and polished throttle bodies
    not stock cams
    Still slow for what's been spent on it....

Comment

not too sure about the mph i would say round 90ish...... no weight reduction at all, full street trim stereo and all......

Comment

As Ayham said, the car's for training purposes only and not a class winner.
        To get POWER out of the engine, FI is necessary. BUT, depending on what you mean by the term power. FI can turn a Ford Model-T into a Cobra if youre talking about big horsepower wich is not needed in our case.
        What is needed though is throttle response and better acceleration because that is all this car does. It has never passed 2nd gear in a race !

Now, for the record, The car's got the M42B18 1.8l 16V 4-pot NOT the M44B19 wich I wish it did !

Alright, Bashar added a nice idea. Get rid of the damn belt driven fan, it causes alot of parasitic drag because it stays engaged the whole time. An electric fan would make a difference, and still keep the car cooler when it's not moving and at idle.

Getting rid of the A/C might not be a good idea because the car goes on long trips for events and in this country it would be suicide. Although shaving 30KG+ would be nice !

The M42 is a good engine really, it's not underpowered. It's got as much torque as some 6 cylinders, believe me! But horsepower is compromised because of the low rev-limiter and the retarded intake manifold. So, the best idea is to FREE UP what that engine already has.

Best mod in my opinion, coupled with Bashars fan rermoval is a different fly-wheel.
        The M42s were supplied with a dual mass flywheel, it weighs a whopping 13KG ! Almost double that of a 325i's flywheel.
        To solve that, the budget way.
        We need an E30 325i clutch,E30 325i flywheel,E30 325i pressure plate,E30 325i pinion gear ring for starter motor and a 79'-83' (E21) throw out bearing.
        That coupled with a fan delete would free up no less than 10-15 REAL CONSTANT HP's and they wont cost as much as aftermarket parts and shipping since theyre locally available. Plus the advantage of a better, bigger clutch (You can consider that a mod if you like).

As Bruno stated, the cars got a CAI, but its functioning as one!
        Some heat shielding material, piping and creativity would go a long way!

And ofcourse the ECU upgrade and rev-limiter removal. It would really let the car loose with the above mentioned mods.

Other than that, a shorter shifter could be considered. Z3 1.9 gives a reasonable amount of reduction but an E36M3 shifter give about a 30% reductoin in shift throw.

That's about it when going budget.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

100% correct....But the problem with these engines, the gain-to-$$$ ratio is low :dunno:

Comment

Metric Mechanic, finally been able to remember their name. Click the link to see how much bang-to-$$$ ratio the M42 & M44 engines yield..

http://www.metricmechanic.com/prices...ng-engines.php

Comment

Working...
            X