No announcement yet.

Cracked windscreen insurance claim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice guys. An update to this farcical situation. Having been told by RSA that i would be liable to pay the excess and that my no-claims would be lost, i was a bit confused so i went home to double checked the with my policy documentation....and surprise, surprise. Page 14 of my policy booklet, the section regarding Windshield and other glass parts (like windows and sunroof) confirms that i AM NOT liable to pay any excess, that RSA will cover the ENTIRE cost of the claim and that my no claims discount will NOT be affected.

So, i called RSA this morning and it's taken literally about an hour of talking to different people to get this confirmed. The incompetence is staggering...it's right up there with HSBC is terms of staff who haven't got a clue. I can't believe that i'm having to tell my insurer what i'm covered for! If i hadn't of checked, and gone with what RSA told me, i would have paid by myself!

So, today i have to send the relevant documentation by courier. They then send me the claim number and a list of suppliers. I then have to go and get the quotes, which get sent to RSA. Rather ridiculously, RSA then insist on sending a surveyor to the car to assess the damage for themselves. If this were a 50,000 rebuild, i could understand it. But it's not. RSA recommend companies to do the work, and then wants to second guess them.

I have no idea how long this will all take. All the while, the crack continues to creep...
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

look at the bright side, at least you won't be paying anything :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post

look at the bright side, at least you won't be paying anything :D
        Very true Bruno...though i might end up paying with my sanity!
        theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
        Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
        Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
        Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
          In any other civilised part of the world with potentially dangerous damage like this, i could get the work done, pay for itself and then get reimbursed the costs. Nice and easy, nice and simple.
          You're wrong about this. If you get a cracked windscreen in the UK the procedure is as follows:

1) call your insurer and tell them you need a new windscreen.
          2) They send an Autoglass van with the required screen from the nearest branch to your work / home / wherever else you might be.
          3) The Autoglass guy comes to your office and gets your keys.
          4) The Autoglass guys assesses the damage and decides whether to repair or replace since he is trained in windscreen repair, unlike a policeman.
          5) The Autoglass guy comes up to your office (or otherwise) and you settle up any excess if applicable, according to your policy
          6) You carry on your day without interruption.

Last time I had to do it, it took about 3 hours total and involved two 5-minute phone conversations, and one signature.

I am constantly bemused by the degree to which the police are involved in minor disputes here. I asked a local what to do about the lifts not working in my building for over a week (love JBR) and he told me to call the police! What on earth does it have to do with them?

Comment

ahh - thats waste of time here really -

Recently i had a van come and hit me -
            On the day it first rained last week - at about 6am.

The police didnt turn up till 8:45am - i chose to go there myself,

then wait for anjad to come - got it done by 9:30am

Anyways, if you havent done it yet . . do give me a buzz when you're here at RSA to submit the papers - I cant promise, but i could try reduce the hassle for ye -

050- nine six eight seven eight zero five

Cheers
            H
            2008 325i coupe
            Stock

Comment

ahh apologies - didnt read the entire thread -
              2008 325i coupe
              Stock

Comment

Working...
              X