Cracked windscreen insurance claim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked windscreen insurance claim...

OK, now i'm mad. Well, maybe mad isn't the right word. Frustrated, that's the word - frustrated by the total nonsense policies and procedures that you have to follow to get anything done in this city.

So, i have noticed that my windscreen is cracked on the passenger side. The crack is around 30cms long and appears to go right to the edge of the glass so it'll be a replacement rather than a repair. I called up my insurer, RSA, and they said that as i have the top insurance policy, they would take care of the total cost of the job. Great. I then asked what the next steps were, and this is what they said. Bare in mind that a cracked windscreen is potentially dangerous and i don't want to drive around with it in case it gets much worse.

First, even though the damage was caused by a stone, rather than in an accident, i have to call the police to get a report. Seriously. The police. Do the police have nothing better to do than inspect minor windscreen damage? Are they not better employed patroling the streets or taking care of the awful driving standards in Dubai? So, the police, with nothing better to do, have to come to Global Village (or i have to go to them) and write a report. Then, i have to send the original report to RSA. Not a fax, or a scan, which would enable me to go and get the work done. No no, i have to wait for them to receive the report, and then they will advise me of who i can use for the repair. WHY? Surely they have a list of approved windscreen companies - they could just tell me now and let me get on with it. Or does the company they recommend depend on the type/cost/nature of damage? It's a simple windscreen, not an F1 engine.

So how long does this all take - a couple of days? In any other civilised part of the world with potentially dangerous damage like this, i could get the work done, pay for itself and then get reimbursed the costs. Nice and easy, nice and simple. Not here. Oh, no. It just wouldn't be Dubai unless you had to fill in a load of forms and go through 101 hoops.

Do i have to go through all this simply because it's an insurance claim? I mean, if i just took the car to a windscreen shop, are they going to require a police report as well?

As if we don't all have enough to do in life...
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

welcome to the world of insurance claims!! i understand your pain....!! here when u get into an accident or a situation for a claim, the main thing you dread is the paperwork and procedures of actually getting it done !!! hmmmm
    The police procedure cant be avoided. You will have to get a letter from them, to ensure your claim is authentic.

You can take it a workshop. They wont ask for a police report. But the cost will be paid from your pocket :(
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
      welcome to the world of insurance claims!! i understand your pain....!! here when u get into an accident or a situation for a claim, the main thing you dread is the paperwork and procedures of actually getting it done !!! hmmmm
      The police procedure cant be avoided. You will have to get a letter from them, to ensure your claim is authentic.

You can take it a workshop. They wont ask for a police report. But the cost will be paid from your pocket :(
      Thanks Wazif, you're right, it is a total pain. I'd like to take the car somewhere and get it replaced on my own, but i expect the cost of this replacement will be several thousand aed...
      theeldestboy

Comment

i assume an OEM windscreen is priced similar to my previous 330ci which cost me 1300 aed after discount not to mention that you will also have to buy the rubber surrounding the windscreen. long story short. Here’s how i did mine in 2006 when i had the 330ci

Took the car to bur dubai police station and walked inside and asked them that i wanted a police report because my windscreen is damaged from a moving vehicle. They will tell you to go to office 15, you will speak to the boss, who will send one of his boys to check your car which is supposedly parked outside.

After the police mission is over take the paper to the insurance and they will get it sorted out. HOWEVER they will make you pay a small amount like 500 dirhams (but this depends on your insurance policy)

When I was at the police office, I gave them the number of the Toyota Urvan that the stone flew off from. But they didn’t do anything since there should be a collision for them to call the other driver over to the police station. Anyways, hopes the above helps.

Comment

the entire police station thing is a 25 mins job, they open 24/7 so it shouldn't be a hassle.

Comment

Same incident happened with a friend of mine, who owns a X5 and the windshield was hit by a stone.. He just got the paper from the police and gave it to the insurance, the insurance issued the Local Purchase Order and sent it to Abu Dhabi Motors, where he got the OEM windscreen, the next day he got his car.

Comment

Thats how I did it once!

Police report (20 minutes, did it when it wasn't busy)
              Went to insurance company, an appraisal checked the damage, estimated the price to fix. then they gave me an "ok to fix" note. (30-45 minutes)
              Took that paper to dealership with copies of drivers licesne and car registration. Left the car there for exactly 3 days.
              Dealership called me to pick up my car! nothing more! noting to pay!
              Thats all!

Its not that crazy! I think insurance claims for "one way" insurance (is that what its called?) becomes a hastle and lots of waiting and extra paperwork.
              sigpic
              Audi R8 - White / Blk
              Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Does a windshield claim affect the No Claim Discount Status?

2006 Sprint Blue Audi RS4 : photography by lifegauge : Revo flash by TAM

Comment

Originally posted by ghoonk View Post
                  Does a windshield claim affect the No Claim Discount Status?
                  Good question Ken - and the answer is yes, this counts as a full claim and as such i would lose my no-claims. Further, they said that if the cost of the work is over 2000aed (which it will be) then i'd have to pay the excess. So, if i put this through my insurance, i'd lose my no-claims and have to pay the excess. Mmmmm, let me think...

Makes me wonder what exactly i'm paying for...
                  theeldestboy

Comment

OK, so now i've discpovered that i need to do this myself, can anyone recommend a good windsheild company? I'm looking on the net and can't find much at all...
                    theeldestboy

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
                      Good question Ken - and the answer is yes, this counts as a full claim and as such i would lose my no-claims. Further, they said that if the cost of the work is over 2000aed (which it will be) then i'd have to pay the excess. So, if i put this through my insurance, i'd lose my no-claims and have to pay the excess. Mmmmm, let me think...

Makes me wonder what exactly i'm paying for...
                      makes me wonder if i write my car off, how much will i get... definitely not the insured value as some1 whose wife works at AXA. They actually depreciate your car during the year.

Think before you act.

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
                        OK, so now i've discpovered that i need to do this myself, can anyone recommend a good windsheild company? I'm looking on the net and can't find much at all...
                        X Service Centre - the only guys I trust with my car :)

Comment

Originally posted by ghoonk View Post
                          X Service Centre - the only guys I trust with my car :)
                          They're getting me a quote as we speak. Tony Edwards (presumably talking about a genuine BMW windscreen) said that the part would not be available in the MIddle East and would need to be sourced in Germany, and that he delivery time would be around 2 weeks. Supplied and fitted cost would be around 3500aed.

Should i just pay the extra and get a BMW screen or can i trust a non-BMW part?
                          theeldestboy

Comment

Holy moly, AED3500 for a windshield? That sucks!

Comment

try to source the OEM parts and take it to X for fitting.

i also heard that X stores some parts

Comment

Working...
                              X