SUPERCHARGE / TURBO KIT FOR E46 M3....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
    Hey Guys. There's seems to have been some site issues and my previous post got deleted. Thought I would repost it...

In short, having been down the F/I road with the E46 M3, I would say that anyone that is considering it needs to take into account that they will incur far more cost than that of just the kit and installation. In order to harness the additional power, get the most out of the modification and do it safely, you need to factor in upgraded suspension, a BBK, uprated clutch, fly wheel, headers, cat back, mounts, bushes, etc, etc. These extra parts in themselves add up to a fair investment. In addition to this, you then have OEM parts which under the additional strain begin to give way and/or require modification ie. at the moment, i'm having a rear sub frame reinforcement kit installed as the additonal torque was bending the OEM mounts. Modifying cars is a labour of love, but anyone looking to do it, needs to take on board that its also an expensive one. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier with my choice and the car never ceases to put a smile on my face, but the bills have been serious along the way. There are also very few mechanics in Dubai (& I suspect the region) who are qualified to install and maintain a modified car. After a painful and VERY costly experience with Quartermile, I have thankfully found TAM, who are doing an amazing job.
    Thanks Simon for reposting. We've, inevitably, lost some posts due to the server migration.....

Comment

Thanks for the info SimonB...
      Its true! many expenses will come up as a result of such upgrade, but i'm willing to take my chances, lol! I've seen what this VF Engineering stage 2 can do vs many fast cars! Its unreal! :) biiiiiiiiiiiiig smile!!!
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

+1 SimonB. Not sure the headers n cats are extremely necessary, but def +1 for the reinforced rear. I believe that before .. 2004? none of the E46 M3's rears were strong enough, and even with the stock engine they would start to crack and tare. So that should be a #1 priority after you SC.

Comment

do u have qualified mechanics or shops in Kuwait??
          according to wat simonB said it is not easy to find a good shop so put this in consideration, i strongly agree with this point as even if u have the money and the will to spend it, everything can be blown up by a stupid mechanic and this is tuning my friend not direct replacement, the screw up in replacement so how about modification
          I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

My friend's M3 has the VF engineering stage 2 kit. He's had it for almost a year and a half. He modified nothing in his car. Actually thats why he recommended this kit. I was about to go to one of the other forums (international) like e46fanatics or the m3forum and ask guys who own such a kit or one with similar power upgrade. Just to see the response regarding any modifications needed.
            So tell me more about the rear sub frame reinforcement kit. how much and where to get from.
            And regarding mechanics in Kuwait. I heard there are very few that understand kits like this etc. One of them is the mechanic i deal with. They are the ones that installed the kit in my friend's car (before they opened up this new place). they have a high tech dyno, and the shop is top notch! Its owned by a friend of mine, and Its called G-Force, here is a link that talks about the place. http://www.248am.com/kthekuwaiti/kuw...arage-preview/
            sigpic
            Audi R8 - White / Blk
            Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
              My friend's M3 has the VF engineering stage 2 kit. He's had it for almost a year and a half. He modified nothing in his car. Actually thats why he recommended this kit. I was about to go to one of the other forums (international) like e46fanatics or the m3forum and ask guys who own such a kit or one with similar power upgrade. Just to see the response regarding any modifications needed.
              So tell me more about the rear sub frame reinforcement kit. how much and where to get from.
              And regarding mechanics in Kuwait. I heard there are very few that understand kits like this etc. One of them is the mechanic i deal with. They are the ones that installed the kit in my friend's car (before they opened up this new place). they have a high tech dyno, and the shop is top notch! Its owned by a friend of mine, and Its called G-Force, here is a link that talks about the place. http://www.248am.com/kthekuwaiti/kuw...arage-preview/
              Rear subframe reinforcement kit is a bunch of metal plates designed to be welded in key failure areas under the subframe and around the rear trailing arms, so removal of the subframe and diff is required before performing the job. The kit is cheap for what it does and prevents. You can find it at www.turnermotorsports.com

Comment

^ Sounds good Ayham! Thanks!
                sigpic
                Audi R8 - White / Blk
                Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

That's exactly the one Ayham! Just received the kit from Turner Motorsport and TAM is installing it. I'm holding thumbs that its the answer to my subframe problems. Will keep you posted!
                  Mods: VFE Stage 2 S/C ; Rotora BBK ; Clutchmasters ceramic racing clutch ; Agency Power Headers and Cat Backs ; H&R Lowering Kit ; Powerflex BK, AC Schnitzer Brace/strut & Diffuser ; CF Interior.

Comment

What issues do you have with your "car's" rear end?!

Comment

its itching :P

Comment

That's exactly the one Ayham! Just received the kit from Turner Motorsport and TAM is installing it. I'm holding thumbs that its the answer to my subframe problems. Will keep you posted!
                        Saw your car there :drool:
                        Meskovic
                        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          What issues do you have with your "car's" rear end?!
                          I've got quite a serious shudder/thud from the rear when pulling off in 1st gear and reverse. There is also a slight chatter from the clutch, but I found out from clutchmasters that this due to the quick engagement of the disc. I've spoken to Motaz at TAM regards the shudder and it appears to be the subframe mounts. We're gonna install the Turner reinforcements and Powerflex bushes and hopefully that does the trick!
                          Mods: VFE Stage 2 S/C ; Rotora BBK ; Clutchmasters ceramic racing clutch ; Agency Power Headers and Cat Backs ; H&R Lowering Kit ; Powerflex BK, AC Schnitzer Brace/strut & Diffuser ; CF Interior.

Comment

I've got quite a serious shudder/thud from the rear when pulling off in 1st gear and reverse. There is also a slight chatter from the clutch, but I found out from clutchmasters that this due to the quick engagement of the disc. I've spoken to Motaz at TAM regards the shudder and it appears to be the subframe mounts. We're gonna install the Turner reinforcements and Powerflex bushes and hopefully that does the trick!
                            Same issue when I got mine, but a set of OE gear mounts, OE engine mounts, and OE subframe bushings took care of all the rattling on 1st and reverse. Then again, with your astronomical figures it might me beyond that. But Simon, man these cars are built like tanks and the only way to rip the subframe (just check how thick it is!!!) is by tracking the car every weekend for extended times or by driving like a hoodlum from dusk till dawn. I know you don't do either of them...I'd go down to TAM's and take a looksee myself to check for any rips or cracks beneath the frame and the rear trailing arms.

My $0.2...

Comment

many E46 M3s that are being used only as a daily drive commuter faced such problem (Check out forums). the rear subframe mounting points have been poorly designed with a very fragile sheets of metal that will torn apart or start having hair line cracks. If i had an E46 M3 i would go and buy the reinforcment kit as its cheap comparing to what ur gonna pay if the subframe mounting area started to crack.
                              sigpic
                              iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                              Falcons Garage
                              Carbotech

Comment

Every BMW had its own weak under designed area.... E36 was having the rear shock tower mount issue, E46 with the subframe and many others....

Wonder whats wrong with the E92 M3 :D
                                sigpic
                                iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                                Falcons Garage
                                Carbotech

Comment

Working...
                                X