Re-building my E46 M3 race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01/07/2009

We started by removing the front windshield and rear glass and the roof with CF insert in order to get good welds around the pipes and replace the roof with full metal part from BMW.

Too many spot welds were drilled out in the process

TIG welded harness bar

Welded driver side X

TIG welding process

Comment

That's a very decent roll cage. The shop seems to be very experienced....Out of curiosity, why not extend the harness bar to the passenger side as well?

Comment

i know stars are blind.. but in my case i'm not a star and i can't see a single picture of this e46 m3 race car :cry:
        Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

what is that bar made of?

Comment

damn this is one hell of an amazing thread... I keep looking forward to what's happening next :D

Good luck with it all!!! u're doing what we all hope to do sometime soon
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
              That's a very decent roll cage. The shop seems to be very experienced....Out of curiosity, why not extend the harness bar to the passenger side as well?
              They do so many rally cars, and when I was there there were so race prep minis and E30 STIs. they are well known. Its was in the plan, I honestly don't know why. I got to speak to him.

Originally posted by ernest View Post
              i know stars are blind.. but in my case i'm not a star and i can't see a single picture of this e46 m3 race car :cry:
              All pictures are uploaded into my flickr account, if flickr is blocked they you will not be able to see them.
              Originally posted by Bruno View Post
              what is that bar made of?
              Carbon Steel

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
              damn this is one hell of an amazing thread... I keep looking forward to what's happening next :D

Good luck with it all!!! u're doing what we all hope to do sometime soon

Comment

Fahad, what grade of carbon steel? I built an F1-style race car using 6061 grade back in college, supposedly the best for this purpose.

Comment

Fahad, what grade of carbon steel? I built an F1-style race car using 6061 grade back in college, supposedly the best for this purpose.
                  Man I'm not sure about the grade, I will check on this one. BTW that sounds like a fun project. Whats the scale of the F1? any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverM View Post
                    Man I'm not sure about the grade, I will check on this one. BTW that sounds like a fun project. Whats the scale of the F1? any pictures?
                    It was a 2.5 years project. Graduation projects are given the senior year to be done from A to Z, but I started in my Sophomore year and barely built it by the end of my senior year. Funds were cut from the project and the car is sitting in the lab rusting out....But I can do it again if I'm given the chance and incentive.

It was built according to the FSAE competition rules and is the first and only model in the Middle East. I have pictures on my hard desk, I'll try and upload them tonight isA.

Comment

It was built according to the FSAE competition rules and is the first and only model in the Middle East.
                      i know ppl from lebanon who actually went to the race in the USA under supervision of my professor (SAE student chapter in alexandria university) also
                      there is another one in egypt that didn't make it to the race in the USA
                      Ayham, i also had the same dream of building this car but as u said funds problems always arise coz the chassis of the egyptian version ( the one which didn't make it tot the race) was made of aluminum bars which is so expensive and needs special welding
                      I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Originally posted by mahmoud_bedewi View Post
                        i know ppl from lebanon who actually went to the race in the USA under supervision of my professor (SAE student chapter in alexandria university) also
                        there is another one in egypt that didn't make it to the race in the USA
                        Ayham, i also had the same dream of building this car but as u said funds problems always arise coz the chassis of the egyptian version ( the one which didn't make it tot the race) was made of aluminum bars which is so expensive and needs special welding
                        Sorry for thread jacking....

Mine was built in 2004. What year were the other two built? Up to my knowledge until 2005 we were the only unversity in the ME to actually go through the FSAE project and build a model...Interested to know about the others.

Comment

the lebanese model that already traveled to the USA i am not sure about the date they did it, but i am sure it was before 2004 coz by the same date (2004) i was planning for my project and i already knew they did it that
                          the egyptian model was there in the lab as well before 2004 and i am sure about that.
                          the professor who was responsible for both projects was called Mohsen Osman (SAE student chapter alexandria) i know him personally
                          I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Wish I've known you back in College....I was misinformed then.

BTT..Sorry for thread jacking!!

Comment

Wish I've known you back in College....I was misinformed then.

BTT..Sorry for thread jacking!!
                              I don't mind, please go on :)

The dash is back for test fitting, we have removed the OEM dash bar and installed all the brackets to the roll cage bar behind the dash that holds the steering, the dash its self, and the fuse box soon . Looks OEM

One vertical bar is going from the buttom to the top corner to provide extra support as per the FIA.

Comment

lovely keep'm comin

Comment

Working...
                                X