Re-building my E46 M3 race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-building my E46 M3 race car

I have been heavily involved in the motorsports activities since 2007. I started racing with my Supercharged AA stage 1 E46 M3 with full interior and Autopower and rollbar. The weigh lost and heavily track modification started step by step.

I was able to score 2nd overall on 2008 on the open class against some heavily modified cars at Losail circuit in Qatar,and currently leading on the point this year after 3 rounds.

at the meantime I have a long break before the next round in October, and I will be spending some $$$ getting my car well prepared as the rules might change on 2010 for FIA approved roll cage.

Current Mods on 2001 E46 M3:
    - VF Stage 2 Supercharger (must have power).
    - Ground Control DA front 600lb front, SA 800 rear.
    - V-CSL double CF vented hood.
    - V-CSL plastic trunk lid.
    - TMR adjustable lower Control Arm.
    - powerflex RTAB and race diff bushings.
    - Bimmerworld engine mounts.
    - RE trans mount.
    - CF sunroof delete.
    - Diffsonline 4.10 the 3 clutch $$$ one.
    - Wheels studs from TMS.
    - Dunlops full slicks, M-cups- Hoosiers R6 A6.
    - UUC sways.
    - MOMO steering.
    - Recaro poll position.
    - UUC heavy knob
    - STOPTECH 6 pistons front, 4 rears 355mm all.
    - PF 01 pads.
    - TRmotorsport 2 sets of wheels, 18X9.5 and 18X10
    - AMB transponder and color display.
    - Powerflex Race subframe bushings.
    - AA headers.
    - Eisenmann race & AP exhaust system.
    - TMS wheels studs.
    - and others I don't recall now

My plans:

- Custom Cage FIA roll cage.
    - MA Shaw fiber doors.
    - Performance 4 Plastics Lexan sides& rear windows.
    - TMS oil cooler.
    - PWR radiator.
    - Moton CS with rear coils suspension.
    - VF 2.5 with T-Trim.
    - Solid trans bushings.
    - Bimmerworld huge wing.
    - Brake cooling kit.
    - ahh what else.

Some of the stuff are already received and I hope I remember to update the thread of my install progress pictures.

on 06/06/2009 I towed my M3 500kM from Qatar to the cage guy in Bahrain , very cool guy and will give me a certificate from the FIA when done.

arrived at the shop

I left it like this at the night before they close

came in the morning 2nd day to discuss more things and door and parts already gone from the car

Comment

On 20/06/2006 I got blurry pictures update from my friend Ejaz in Bahrain :D, thanks bro:

I must say I'm not a fan of the bar coming from the back to the lower part of the main hope. Oh well its too late now

Comment

:drool: the list looks endless, but definetely sounds like a proper track car.. Interesting job !

Comment

Great Job!

Just to compare if u dont mind, can you tell us how much an FIA roll cage in Bahrain would cost?
          Meskovic
          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
            :drool: the list looks endless, but definetely sounds like a proper track car.. Interesting job !
            Originally posted by Nabil View Post
            Great Job!

Just to compare if u dont mind, can you tell us how much an FIA roll cage in Bahrain would cost?
            Thanks, I will list the newly arrived item soon.

haven't discussed prices in depth yet, I don't want to effect the quality of the job by doing so. I know it will be in the range of 10,000 to 15,0000 Riyals.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverM View Post
              I have been heavily involved in the motorsports activities since 2007. I started racing with my Supercharged AA stage 1 E46 M3 with full interior and Autopower and rollbar. The weigh lost and heavily track modification started step by step.

I was able to score 2nd overall on 2008 on the open class against some heavily modified cars at Losail circuit in Qatar,and currently leading on the point this year after 3 rounds.

at the meantime I have a long break before the next round in October, and I will be spending some $$$ getting my car well prepared as the rules might change on 2010 for FIA approved roll cage.

Current Mods on 2001 E46 M3:
              - VF Stage 2 Supercharger (must have power).
              - Ground Control DA front 600lb front, SA 800 rear.
              - V-CSL double CF vented hood.
              - V-CSL plastic trunk lid.
              - TMR adjustable lower Control Arm.
              - powerflex RTAB and race diff bushings.
              - Bimmerworld engine mounts.
              - RE trans mount.
              - CF sunroof delete.
              - Diffsonline 4.10 the 3 clutch $$$ one.
              - Wheels studs from TMS.
              - Dunlops full slicks, M-cups- Hoosiers R6 A6.
              - UUC sways.
              - MOMO steering.
              - Recaro poll position.
              - UUC heavy knob
              - STOPTECH 6 pistons front, 4 rears 355mm all.
              - PF 01 pads.
              - TRmotorsport 2 sets of wheels, 18X9.5 and 18X10
              - AMB transponder and color display.
              - Powerflex Race subframe bushings.
              - AA headers.
              - Eisenmann race & AP exhaust system.
              - TMS wheels studs.
              - and others I don't recall now

My plans:

- Custom Cage FIA roll cage.
              - MA Shaw fiber doors.
              - Performance 4 Plastics Lexan sides& rear windows.
              - TMS oil cooler.
              - PWR radiator.
              - Moton CS with rear coils suspension.
              - VF 2.5 with T-Trim.
              - Solid trans bushings.
              - Bimmerworld huge wing.
              - Brake cooling kit.
              - ahh what else.

Some of the stuff are already received and I hope I remember to update the thread of my install progress pictures.
              nice setup... you might also want to add:

CF trunk 7.2KG
              CF fenders
              Lighter battery
              AA bigger Fan system (i don't know what it's called)
              lighter driveshaft

you are going against some excellent rivals as seen in the pics :D

and where did you get that trailer from?

Comment

Wow man thats some proper track car! :drool: Good luck with all ur plans! :D
                sigpic
                BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

10k to 15k is almost the same price although I was told someone has opened recently and does it for 6k in Sharjah, still need to investigate that.

I see you have used different slicks, can u give us a review?
                  Meskovic
                  this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                    nice setup... you might also want to add:

CF trunk 7.2KG
                    CF fenders
                    Lighter battery
                    AA bigger Fan system (i don't know what it's called)
                    lighter driveshaft

you are going against some excellent rivals as seen in the pics :D

and where did you get that trailer from?
                    My V-csl plastic trunk is very light, but if I decieed to go with the wing I might switch back to OEM for better support.

I have the AA fan clutch already, along with 11 lb battery. M3 fenders are aluminum and are very light no a CF light but light. drive shaft is not in my plans currently as I have yet to find a reliable source that will have them and grantee they performance.

The trailer is Brain james, from the UK, Let me know if you would like to order one.

Comment

That is a great setup.
                      I need to get in touch with you about getting on the Losail circuit. I will be racing there ISA in the Chevrolet Supercars Championship, and need to practice the circuit before the race.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                      Schrick cams
                      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                      KW Coilovers V3
                      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SHkater View Post
                        Wow man thats some proper track car! :drool: Good luck with all ur plans! :D
                        Thanks

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                        10k to 15k is almost the same price although I was told someone has opened recently and does it for 6k in Sharjah, still need to investigate that.

I see you have used different slicks, can u give us a review?
                        Beleive me you go cheaper and you will scarifies quality, the T45 CDS materials itself will cost 7k, let alone the fab work.

Dunlops are better in every aspect, too bad they last 2 races only. R6 and M-cups are great but the dunlops are at least 4 to 5 sec faster per lap. Which is huge. A6 for Autox are great, never tried them on the track

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
                          That is a great setup.
                          I need to get in touch with you about getting on the Losail circuit. I will be racing there ISA in the Chevrolet Supercars Championship, and need to practice the circuit before the race.
                          Man I wish I can join you on the race, let me know when are you plan to come. Keep in touch please

Comment

You will gain around 0.1s to 0.2s per lap running the MOTON setup as per racers feedback at the BMWCCA & NASA, which is a HUGE advantage in track racing. They are worth the astronomical asking price and a very wise investment.

I'm interested in knowing the downsides, if any, in running FI on the S54 in our weather under track driving? And how are your oil and water temperatures during the races? I cook my oil at the end of a 20-minute track session, which tells me the OE oil cooler was never designed for track driving :thumbsdown:

Regarding your tires comparo, are they all the same compound, i.e. super soft etc? And how much does your car weigh at now? I know the cage would put back about the same weight you've taken out in stripping the car, is it the case with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                              You will gain around 0.1s to 0.2s per lap running the MOTON setup as per racers feedback at the BMWCCA & NASA, which is a HUGE advantage in track racing. They are worth the astronomical asking price and a very wise investment.

I'm interested in knowing the downsides, if any, in running FI on the S54 in our weather under track driving? And how are your oil and water temperatures during the races? I cook my oil at the end of a 20-minute track session, which tells me the OE oil cooler was never designed for track driving :thumbsdown:

Regarding your tires comparo, are they all the same compound, i.e. super soft etc? And how much does your car weigh at now? I know the cage would put back about the same weight you've taken out in stripping the car, is it the case with you?
                              I'm hopping for more time shaving with the Moton, specially with a circuit as big as Losail 5.4 km.

The VF kit id very reliable at the track, no regrets. Its a must when competing against modded high HP cars. The have some cooling modes such as the fan clutch and the motorsport thermostat which keep the temp in order. Coolent is always on the middle. Oil it gets over 3/4 sometimes.

Car weighted around 2900LB with rollbar, and striped interior. The new cage will weight about 70kg if not less. I'm going MAshaw doors and lexan windows. I can literally left the MAshaw door with a small finger, but for the OEM two hands and a back pain will do it. I hope to get in the low 2700LB.

For the Dunlop tires, I tried M-hard, M-soft all are good, but M-soft will get destroyed very quickly in the front even after less than 1 race.

Comment

Working...
                              X