First photos of the BMW M3 GTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First photos of the BMW M3 GTS

Even when you see it from a distance, you are instantly electrified. As a BMW M enthusiast, every step you take towards the orange painted concept vehicle of the BMW M3 GTS with its numerous matt black applications raises your adrenaline level a little more.

Exclusive 19-inch wheels with ample 225/35 tyres at the front and 285/30 at the rear catch your eye.

All this is certainly nice looking and sensible, but what you glimpse through the spokes of the aluminium wheel rims is even more exciting: a generously sized fixed caliper brake system with six pistons at the front and four at the rear.

The wheels almost fill out the wheel arches, but if you look closely you discover the next highlight. Yellow springs with a small M logo provide the crucial clue: a threaded suspension, adjustable in compression and rebound. “The rear axle support is bolted in place,” adds the responsible engineer.

The expert will also spot the adjustable front splitter and rear wing. One thing is clear: this car is serious stuff. Not only can a high level of downforce be generated but it also precisely adjustable at front and rear. Fast bends can look forward to welcoming the BMW M3 GTS – but they won’t get to see it for long.

“The serial production BMW M3 is already weight-optimised with a whole range of measures reserved for the BMW M3 CSL in the last model – the striking carbon lightweight roof, for example.”

So the engineers had to get back to work again to come up with more. Light body-contoured seats are a must.

A cluster of lightweight construction measures such as optimisation of the insulation, the use of lightweight parts in the interior, the use of Macrolon for the car’s windows in the back, the lack of air conditioning, navigation and radio and the entire rear seat also gets the scales the down.

And the new titanium rear silencer not only looks great and contributes to the thrilling sound of the BMW M3 GTS, it is also much lighter than its serial production counterpart.

Indispensable for safety reasons: the lightweight construction body has been prepared for installation of the 6-point seatbelt included for use on the race track. There are also mounts for the roll-over protective structure bolted on from the B column. A fire extinguisher and a battery master switch/emergency shut-off preparation do not make the car lighter either – but safer.

So the BMW M3 GTS concept vehicle puts the scales up to around 1490 kilograms – causing the engineer to give an appreciative nod.

And the drivetrain? The heart of the BMW M3 GTS?

The car is fitted with a 7-speed M dual clutch transmission with adapted shift characteristics. But an absolute highlight is to be found under the bonnet. Exclusively for the BMW M3 GTS, the engine builders of BMW M – recent winners of the Engine of the Year Award once again – have developed a power unit based on the M high-performance engine of the current BMW M3: with a capacity of 4.4 litres and an output of some 450 bhp, it will catapult the light BMW M3 GTS into a whole new sphere.

After all, the aim is to clearly beat the lap time of the legendary M3 CSL on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. And test runs certainly give grounds for optimism.

M3 GTS weights 1490 kg (3285 lbs), 419 lbs less than the stock M3 coupe’s 3704-lb curb weight. First deliveries are scheduled to begin in Germany next May, carrying a sticker price of 115,000 euros (about $170k). According to current planning, registrations in other countries will be possible from summer 2010.

Source: bmwblog

Amazingly Amazing :drool: :drool:
    sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
    E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
    E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
    E23 735i - Sold

Comment

garbage for many reasons... if 20% of the e92 owners paint their cars orange and install a big wing they will trigger the old rice e36 era! god be with us!

Comment

There's mistake, it's mentioned that the front tire is 225/35, but on the photo it's 255/35.

It's really more than Amazing!

Comment

:drool:....loving it!
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9000: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.266 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

De-chroming ftw !
            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Here is the link to the video... posted it somewhere else too :)

[YOUTUBE]n7G6K-i4soQ&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

not sure the color really suits this car... maybe it'll grow on me!
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisho View Post
                There's mistake, it's mentioned that the front tire is 225/35, but on the photo it's 255/35.

It's really more than Amazing!
                exactly what i was thinking! when i read 225 fronts i was like that thing will understeer like a dog on tiles!

i think the weight is excellent for such size car (exactly same as my previous Z4MC!) ;)

BMW history:
                07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Interview with Markus Schadow, BMW M aerodynamics development.

Interview with Markus Schadow, BMW M aerodynamics development.

MPW: Mr. Schadow, the BMW M3 GTS has clearly visible dynamic measures with its front splitter and rear wing. The aerodynamics of the BMW M3 GTS is clear for all to see. Optimised for downforce. Why?

Schadow: The power which can be transferred from the contact area of the tyres to the road depends on tyre properties, the position of the tyre on the road - i.e. axle kinematics - and the wheel vertical force. Our measures are all about increasing the wheel vertical force. The higher the wheel vertical force, the higher the level of longitudinal and transverse acceleration which can be achieved.

MPW: An increase in vehicle weight would also increase wheel vertical force ...

Schadow: (laughs). That's certainly true. But more mass also generates greater forces of inertia and centrifugal forces. So this doesn’t do any good. On the contrary: the tyre-specific maximum load is reached earlier on, and the longitudinal and transverse acceleration can only be raised to this point, since above this point grip is lost. So what is required is low weight combined with maximum wheel vertical force. Which is why we generate downforce. However, the measures to increase downforce also increase aerodynamic drag. This is why they are adjustable in their effect in the BMW M3 GTS.

MPW: At the front axle, the downforce is generated by means of a longitudinally adjustable front splitter ...

Schadow: Yes, we chose this solution so as to limit the everyday suitability of the vehicle as little as possible and have sufficient ground clearance in racing set-up on the Nordschleife.

MPW: How does the front splitter actually work?

Schadow: While the car is moving, the pressure which builds up in front of the vehicle above the panel of the front splitter which is parallel to the ground is much greater than in the free stream of air below it. This creates a downforce. The lift force which you get in the standard BMW M3 is thus turned around.

MPW: And why the impressive rear wing in the BMW M3 GTS?

Schadow: The rear axle has a very important role to play in terms of drive stability. In order to be able to achieve a high level of drive stability at high speeds, we need at least as much downforce on the rear axle as on the front axle - ideally it should be significantly higher.

MPW: Why don’t you use a diffuser?

Schadow: A diffuser which would meet the space requirements here would be far less effective than the rear wing. We would never be able to reach a level of downforce required for a reasonable aerodynamic balance. This is also why in every racing series which allows the use of a rear wing, the cars are fitted with one. The rear wing of the BMW M3 GTS generates a high level of downforce and therefore drive stability.

So we can expect some good lap times?

(laughs). You’re certainly in for a surprise!

Mr. Schadow, thank you for talking to us.

Comment

Mr. Schadow... now that's a cool name!!! ooooh mr. Schadow!
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

:drool::drool::drool:
                      Alpina B3 3.0i 1995 saloon N:0286 :drive:
                      Alpina B5 4.4ltr V8 supercharged, saloon, 2007, N:260

Comment

too gaudy a color this
                        2008 325i coupe
                        Stock

Comment

I hate the wing! and i'm not a fan of orange!

Love the rims and over all look!
                          sigpic
                          Audi R8 - White / Blk
                          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

:drool::drool::drool:
                            sigpic
                            BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

The color is not bad at TRACK !
                              sigpic
                              07' HFP Accord | Current
                              HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Working...
                              X