135i Sauber Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

135i Sauber Edition

Gulfnews are starting to make some worthy car reviews! This is the limited edition 135i Sauber Edition, only 200 examples are built, and 20 of them to be exclusive for Abu Dhabi Motors! Oh, and there's a surprise down at the price department!!

F1 technology eventually makes it into your next family saloon. That's why environmentalists will never win their fight against the emissions-spewing jewel in motorsport's crown. It's the main advantage manufacturers cite when pressed about their dirty, dirty racing exploits. "Yes, we spew soot into the atmosphere, but our next active aerodynamic invention will save your life one day when you approach a highway exit at 180kph", they say.

So we need F1 to further our achievements in safety, regenerative energy, reliability, and more power from less displacement. And every once in a while, F1 proves good by lending its colours to the cars we drive daily. OK, let's just forget the Michael Schumacher edition Fiat Seicento — probably the lowest point in the man's career — and focus on the proper F1-team-derived stuff. How about Renaultsport's Clio and Megane, which get more power, lighter components and stripped out interiors, plus a bunch of stickers and F1 title boasts showing off the team's 2005 and 2006 victories.

If you go further back to Renault's involvement with Williams, you may remember the Clios that were deemed some of the best hot-hatches ever made. Lotus too made good use of its racing exploits to shift cars off of showroom floors, with the Esprit JPS mimicking the F1 bolide's black and gold paint job. And I don't think I need to delve into McLaren; instead of gimmicky stickers and ditching of rear seats, they just build an entire car and, for maximum exploitation, call it the F1. Which brings me onto the BMW 1 Series Sauber Edition, because I'm done thinking up previous similar exercises by other carmakers.

All show no go?

Yes, BMW is quitting the sport, but that hasn't stopped the Munich firm from pulling one last treat out of its goodie box. The BMW 1 Series Sauber Edition is limited to 200 examples worldwide, and 20 are available exclusively at Abu Dhabi Motors. All are white with Sauber colours down the flanks and a plaque inside stating that what you're in is a special Abu Dhabi car. But it's not just about colouring in between the dots; the rest of the car also manages to live up to its F1 moniker.

You get a blacked out kidney grille in the style of old M cars, anthracite wheels, carbon fibre mirrors and a Gurney flap wing, a rear diffuser, M badges on the door sills (beats me why they did this, it's not an actual M car, but more on that in a bit), carbon fibre trim on the dash and doors and a very kitsch but awesome steering wheel that houses shift lights and a display giving you a quarter-mile and lap timer, vital temperatures and pressures and even a G meter. Why would you need a G meter in a 1 Series? Well, first off, because it's a 135i — which means 306bhp from a 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged six — and second, because AC Schnitzer put a hand in it — which means an extra 54 horses, a 4.9 second sprint and a 293kph top speed. Oh, and meatier brakes and a performance exhaust. Now that's the kind of thing you put an F1 signature on, Schumi.

BMW dared me to get 1G out of that steering wheel meter, but since I don't live on a race track, the best I could do was 0.7, which is fast enough in a tiny 1 Series with massive downforce on top of the boot lid from all that weave. It really works; this car handles like it's on ice through slow turns, making you work the suede wheel like a hyperactive kid with an unfair amount of tokens for the Daytona USA arcade game. But once you build up some speed, which is laughably easy with all that power, the back end claws at the surface relentlessly. That wing works wonders. And it needs to. Like I said, the BMW 1 Series Sauber Edition is fast, and I mean M3 fast. It's half a second quicker to 100kph than a standard 135i, and is an actual match for the M3's time.

When you get in, you need to hold the traction control button down for five seconds, which unleashes all the extra AC Schnitzer horses, and of course switches the TC off, so hold onto your shorts. Then once you slither out of the parking lot, sliding around like a D1 Grand Prix car despite the slightest throttle input, you'll hit 200 way too quickly and scare yourself cross-eyed through the first bend. But, confidence rises as rapidly as the speedometer in this car, and it's very easy to get to grips with the drifts. After a couple of attempts, you realise that all the counter steering you need is about a quarter lock, because, though heavy, the steering is responsive and communicative.

Mini M3

The reason why this is a special edition is that if BMW offered you one out of its own factory, you would stride past an M3 every time and opt for the mental 1 Series. The only problem is the price, because in the end, it's just a tiny 1 Series. Although when you consider the gains over a standard car it's well worth it, even if just for that AC Schnitzer bit and the ‘1 out of 20' plaque. And that's really the only fault with this BMW 1 Series Sauber Edition; there are just 20.

Specs & Rating:

Model: 1 Series Sauber Edition
    Engine: 3.0-litre twin-turbo Transmission Six-speed auto
    Max power: 360bhp
    Max torque: NA
    Top speed: 293kph
    0-100kph: 4.9secs
    Price: Dh280,000
    Plus: An M3 for Dh65,000 less
    Minus :Still super expensive for a 1 Series
    Source: http://gulfnews.com/life-style/motor...he-m3-1.516211

Viezu Stage II anybody?

i saw this car in person in the autodrome 2 days ago. yes it might be nice, but sorry i'm not paying 105,000 AED extra just to get the few extra accessories that barely cost all in all 20k.

Comment

Thus the plaque is for AED85,000!!

But I have a feeling that they'll sell them all at the asking price...

Comment

especially if they tell the customers that it's 65k less than a M3 lol :rofl:

Comment

that's the same price of a brand new / fully loaded imported E92 M3..

BMW history:
          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Well, it's the limited number of production....I don't know, factoring in that there's a monopoly here I won't be surprised to find out the other 180 examples are AED50,000 less.

Comment

Seen 1/20 last night in Abu Dhabi, had a three digit AD plate..

Its good for the crazy 135i lovers who're willing to pay any price to get the Best..

Comment

Let's have a breakdown of what the best would cost on a 135i:

- JRZ suspension stage "x": AED15,000
                - ECU 60hp remap (Viezu, AA, Vishnu, etc): AED3,500
                - Stop Tech BBK: AED12,000
                - BMW Performance Catalogue bits (steering, seats, CF panels, etc): AED25,000
                - Aftermarket exhaust system: AED8,000

- Total: AED63,500

Estimated, but close to real actual figure. For the extra AED105,000 compared to a standard 135i and subtracting the AED63,000 from it you'd be left with AED42,000. Wonder if HPF would cater for me! :dunno:

But yea that's all on paper, sentiments can't be jotted down.

Comment

You get almost the same goodies from these 200 limited cars, what they're charging is actually for 'take the goodies+ the warranty'

Comment

Morning folks. Just a quick correction, the tag price is 260k and that is negotiable, it goes down to 250k i believe. I've seen it in alain showroom about two months ago! Guys, this car looks amazing, especially in the alpine white (presidante the colour is a killer :drool:) complimented with side strips OUCH ;)!!! So arbab bruno, the add-ons are not 20k rayyess, they add up to around 35k-45k and not forget the ASc remap!! (Proved, check the internet for those add-ons add some labour charge, it will definitely work out :)! Sauber Edition 135i FTW :bow:

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                    Let's have a breakdown of what the best would cost on a 135i:

- JRZ suspension stage "x": AED15,000
                    - ECU 60hp remap (Viezu, AA, Vishnu, etc): AED3,500
                    - Stop Tech BBK: AED12,000
                    - BMW Performance Catalogue bits (steering, seats, CF panels, etc): AED25,000
                    - Aftermarket exhaust system: AED8,000

- Total: AED63,500

Estimated, but close to real actual figure. For the extra AED105,000 compared to a standard 135i and subtracting the AED63,000 from it you'd be left with AED42,000. Wonder if HPF would cater for me! :dunno:

But yea that's all on paper, sentiments can't be jotted down.
                    That's not exactly right IMO, the stock 135i fully loaded has a tag price of around 200k over here. So, if you add lets say 200k to the 63.5k, it will work out the same! In addition to warrenty (SSense :evil:)!!!

Comment

AGMC sells the fully loaded 135i at a whopping AED155,000 after some haggling ;) My calculations are based on that...

However, my calculations are speaking out loud what most would argue against the price tag. I'd personally fork out not more than AED210,000 for it just for the exclusivity! I own an exclusive BMW and it feels good to know not too many were made ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                        AGMC sells the fully loaded 135i at a whopping AED155,000 after some haggling ;) My calculations are based on that...

However, my calculations are speaking out loud what most would argue against the price tag. I'd personally fork out not more than AED210,000 for it just for the exclusivity! I own an exclusive BMW and it feels good to know not too many were made ;)
                        Yeah i heard so, but definitely with lesser goodies in it. Anyway, yeah am with u, 210k is a more sensible price! Dude, this car is HOT!!!

Comment

It still looks scared...

Project DVS
                          Amuse Ericsson Front-end | SRS Rear-end | Facelift Headlights | Facelift Fenders | Facelift Hood with M-Bulge | Side Lamps & Door-guards delete | Bi-Xenons |
                          CSL Trunk | Widebody flares with accentuated door flares | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust Setup | Carbotech Brakes | K&N Filter | H&R Cupkit | JL Subs | Alpine Head

Comment

Pics i've taken from ADM showroom in alain a while ago. They're not the best though *2 megapixel phone camera :photos:*

Comment

:cry::cry:
                              sigpic
                              07' HFP Accord | Current
                              HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Working...
                              X