Former BMW Designer joins McLaren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former BMW Designer joins McLaren

Latest developments at McLaren evidently shows big plans are a foot at the British marque. Frank Stephenson who is best known for his work on the design of the modern day Mini has been confirmed as the company's new design chief – but this is after the design for the McLaren F1 successor has already been signed off.
    It proves that the supercar manufacturer could extend their product portfolio beyond the single model and could well look at competing against the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini in the not too distant future.
    Stephenson has spent 11 years at BMW where he also designed the BMW X5 as well as the aforementioned Mini, more recently he moved to Fiat where he was responsible for the much acclaimed Fiat 500 as well as the Fiat Bravo. To top all that off, he also oversaw Pininfarina's work on the Ferrari F430 and Maserati MC12.
    Do we believe this guy can follow in the footsteps of McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray? I think the answer is a resounding yes!

...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

impressive... what do they mean by "he also oversaw Pininfarina's work on the Ferrari F430 and Maserati MC12."??

Comment

Means they had to consult him for final opinions...

Comment

It means he made sure that they coloured inside the lines that somebody else drew :rofl:
        ...petrolhead

Comment

:rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
            It means he made sure that they coloured inside the lines that somebody else drew :rofl:

:rofl:

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
            Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

I hope Frank Stephenson can be replaced by someone like him or better, dont wanna lose the great designs of BMW by his move.

Comment

I don't think that would happen - BMW are smart enough not to let themselves be disturbed/moved by this.
                Hopefully we'd get someone better :)
                2008 325i coupe
                Stock

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
                  I don't think that would happen - BMW are smart enough not to let themselves be disturbed/moved by this.
                  Hopefully we'd get someone better :)
                  Merc has got some designers from before itself, look at the new C63 AMG,
                  S65 AMG V12 Bi-TURBO and the unbelievable SL65 AMG V12 Bi-TURBO's design.
                  Frankly im not a Mercedes guy, but have to admit that these designs look they cant be competed, specially the SL65 AMG.

The new 7 Series doesnt look so promising in the pics, it looks more like a Lexus LS460, specially the tailpipes are taken from LS460.

Cant judge until and unless I see it in real, so lets wait and keep our fingers crossed.

Comment

Here's a thought:

BMW can ruin any compititor by saying that Chris (Mangle) Bangle is up for hiring!!! Yea, let's see how the compitition would come back from that!!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                      Here's a thought:

BMW can ruin any compititor by saying that Chris (Mangle) Bangle is up for hiring!!! Yea, let's see how the compitition would come back from that!!! :D
                      Have to agree with you Ayham because Chris Bangle is/was a make no mistake man. BMW are clever, they can wake Bangle up anytime to destroy any competition by any leading competitors, he's always there for BMW so they can play their cards right on the right time.
                      Cmon guys if you think of Chris Bangle and read about him, he was there just destroying all the other leading manufacturers. In the end, nearly 13000 people signed the petition which was devoted for his dismissal, he's the only designer who had a webpage devoted specially for his dismissal. Check the website of his dismissal

http://www.petitiononline.com/STOPCB/petition.html

Hats off Chris Bangle :tiphat:

Comment

People don't know (or keep on forgetting) that he helped in the designing of the E39 5er and E46 3er before going on to his new design theory, the flame surfacing, which started with the E65 7er. His design ideas might not be for everyone, but look at how many other manufacturers copied his designs, like MB, Nissan, Toyota just to name a few. BMW wanted to change from their current looks (of every car looking the same just in different sizes) and they were able to pull it off.
                        ...petrolhead

Comment

You're right petrolhead, they were able to pull it off and they actually pulled it off hard enough that BMWs today stand distinguised between all other make and models.

Comment

"context over dogma"
                            In the great words of great Chris Bangle
                            2008 325i coupe
                            Stock

Comment

I think he should've remained in the 'juniors' mess hall......

7 series?? In 2 years it had to have an a$$-lift! It actually had to undergo the scalp cuz the huge amount of petitioners demanding something needed to be done!! Don't get me started on the 3 series. The 5 series he luckily pulled off, the Z4 is good looking. But all in all, the hatred toward his designs is genuine and I'm one gruntled mobster!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X