Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes AMG New Twin-Turbo 5.5 Litre V8 Engine Revealed

Guys i think we have a problem:

Mercedes-Benz has released details regarding its new lightweight 5.5-litre twin turbo V8 engine. The engine was speculated upon late last year and now is confirmed as reality. It will be used in certain AMG models, the first being the S 63 AMG from this summer.

The new 5.5-litre, codenamed the M157, replaces the current 6.3-litre (6208cc) naturally aspirated V8 which has been doing duty in cars like the C 63 AMG, the CLS 63 AMG, the E 63 AMG, the S 63 AMG and the CL 63 AMG.

Power is rated at 400kW (544 PS / 536 bhp) at 5,500rpm and peak torque is a massive 800Nm (590 lb-ft) made between 2,000rpm and 4,500rpm. An even more powerful version with the AMG Performance Package of the 204kg engine will produce 420kW (571 PS / 563 bhp) and 900Nm (664 lb-ft) of torque. Both will be mated to Merc's 7-speed MCT transmission which helps the less powerful model achieve 26.9mpg (UK) in average fuel consumption.

According to Autocar, a smaller 4.6-litre version of the engine, also sporting two turbos, will be used for the new CLS and S-Class derivatives later this year.

Link: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003012...ngine-revealed
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Mercedes has been known for their production of high HP and massive torque, specially in the their 55, 63, and 65 production cars. This twin turbo is another example of what the AMG team can do! My God that will be fast!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

I cant wait for the new M5 cuz Mercs are too boring :yawn:

Comment

:whathesaid::logic:
        sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
        E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
        E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
        E23 735i - Sold

Comment

the TT's (pronounced t|tt|es) war has just started :D

BMW history:
          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

^ +1 :rofl:
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

LOOOOL @ Haissam!

this thing seems scary... would be interesting to see what it can do and what it would sound like :drool:
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

automatic Merc

whatever inside the hood is...

Comment

So Merc will not have the most powerful NA V8 engine anymore!!!
                  I do admire AMG and i think they serve a different category than M cars mainly cause they are automatic and have a more refined/luxurious interior, and also i do love the roar of their engine (ex:F1 safety car) but the cars just lack a certain passion factor...for example all AMGs sound alike while every M car has its own character starting from the engine noise to the power delivery etc. Personally, I love AMGs and would recommend it to anyone anyday as a very good car and high performer but I simply would never buy one even the smaller more nible M3 rival, the C63.

Comment

Working...
                  X