Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunnel on Salam Street to help ease traffic flow in capital

New phase of construction to start as project is finished early

One of the first tunnels near Khalifa park along Salam Street opens today for traffic. Image Credit: Ahmed Kutty/Gulf News

Abu Dhabi: Motorists can use the first tunnel on Salam Street from midnight tonight, the Municipality of Abu Dhabi City announced during a media tour to the tunnel yesterday.

The 850 metre long tunnel near Khalifa Park is being opened for traffic six months ahead of the scheduled time, Khalifa Mohammad Al Mazroui, General Manager of the municipality said in a statement.

"It will initiate a new phase of construction on the surface and bypass roads in the area and I thank our partners in the General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police for their efforts in facilitating the success of the project," he said.

The dual four-lane tunnel, which is linked to the existing detour, will smoothen the traffic on the detour, Abdullah Saeed Al Shamsi, Acting CEO of Municipal Infrastructure and Assets Division at the municipality told reporters.

"The tunnel will remove the possible bottleneck in a stretch from the Maqta Bridge to the existing first signal on the street," he said.

Only three lanes (in both directions) will be opened for traffic until the completion of the entire project worth Dh5 billion in third quarter of this year, the officials said.

The speed limit in the beginning will be 80 kilometres per hour which will be increased to 100 kilometres per hour with an allowance of 20 kilometres per hour, according to officials.

The five tunnels in the project will facilitate the free flow of 6,000 cars per hour upon completion. Two more tunnels will be opened for traffic in the near future.
    • Dh5b is the cost of the entire project
    • 850m is the length of the tunnel
    • 100km/h is the speed limit in tunnel after project's completion
    • The open sections of the 850 metre long underpass at the approach to the junction have a clear width of 41.4 metres from the wall to wall and are provided with a three metre median dividing the opposite carriageways.
    • The tunnel section of the underpass is 120 metres long.
    • Minimum clearance below the soffit of the deck-slab is 6.3 metres.
    • The maximum depth of excavation for the tunnel is 12 metres.

GULFNEWS

kanso thanx for da information
    sigpic
    • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
    and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

thx man

hope it finishes soon

cos i am going crazy !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sounds great! i've never heard of any project finishing ahead of schedule! thats an accomplishment, great! :)
        sigpic
        Audi R8 - White / Blk
        Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
          Sounds great! i've never heard of any project finishing ahead of schedule! thats an accomplishment, great! :)
          Haha Cuz it NEVER happens :D
          sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
          E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
          E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
          E23 735i - Sold

Comment

but still much more to go......

BMW history:
            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
            X