Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Electric BMW is COMING!!! WTF?!

Source: Autopia.com

The slick electric BMW we saw at the Detroit auto show is slated to hit the road next year, following the Mini-E and laying the groundwork for a mass-market electric car we could see by 2014.

Klaus Draeger, the BMW board member who leads company’s research and development, tells Automotive News the Active-E electric concept will see limited production later this year and hit the road for extended field trials early next year. The trial follows a similar program with the Mini-E electric car in which 450 vehicles were leased — at $850 a month — to people in California, New York and New Jersey. That program was to last one year, but Draeger says it has been extended indefinitely.

All of this jibes with what Ulrich Kranz, head of the German automaker’s Project i team developing low-emissions city cars, told us in Detroit when the Active-E made its debut at the North American International Auto Show.

How many BMWs? How much will they cost? Who gets them? And for how long? Draeger didn’t say. But if the Mini-E program is any indication, the answers to the first two questions are not many and a whole lot. As for the second two, BMW carefully screened applicants for the Mini-E program to make sure they met a long list of requirements, and after planning to let them have the cars for a year has extended it indefinitely.

The electric BMW program will probably follow the same format.

The Active-E is rear-wheel drive, and it is powered by a 125 kilowatt (170 horsepower) synchronous motor mounted in the differential housing. Juice comes from a liquid-cooled 32-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion batterymounted in the transmission tunnel and under the hood. BMW says its good for 100 miles and recharges in six hours at 220 volts.

Read More http://www.wired.com/autopia/#ixzz0d9tBxlw2
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

So ugly exterior + it will be like turtle!

Comment

electric car FTMFSOBAHW! :drool:

BMW history:
      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
        electric car FTMFSOBAHW! :drool:
        says the Electrical engineer :ohthedrama:
        Meskovic
        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

+1 To Haissam ! ( Says an Electrical PRE-Engineer ) :D
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

So No More Fuel?
            sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
            E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
            E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
            E23 735i - Sold

Comment

Working...
            X