Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MUST read

Listen to this:

A colleague friend of mine at work has been shopping for a car for a while, being the Toyota-driver she's been for the last 10 years or so, she'd visited the Toyota showroom about 2 weeks ago and decided then to go for a nice 1.8 Corolla. Deal was sealed and the payment was made in cash, it was just a matter of time till they got her the car for insurance and registration, and off she went; she thought.

A few days later, after insurance and registration, on the way to the showroom to fix the number plates on the car, she peaked at the registration card, and to her shock, the manufacturing country was TAIWAN not JAPAN. Shocked and speechless she went straight forward to sales executive who sold her the car and demanded clarification. The latter tried to explain that it's a Toyota thing and that the quality standards are still Toyota's and she need not to worry about anything, but feeling disappointed and betrayed she felt better if they'd cancel the deal and pay her back her hard-earned cash.

The executive went on to her superior who agreed on that, and as one expects this is the end of the story. My friend was so infuriated by this incident that she demanded compensation for the amount of time she's going to spend without a car, especially that her daily route to work sums up to 250 KMs, and that her previous car had been sold on the same day she'd registered her supposedly new car. Here is where things got complicated; the Sales Manager refuses any compensation; my friend threatens to complain, and if they refuse she'd use the media; they say it would please them to get this publicity in the newspaper.

TOYOTA ASKING FOR PUBLICITY!

The next day she went to meet someone in the customer service department in Toyota who started blabbering endlessly about nothing, and in the end he goes like we won't take the car back, it's yours now since you've registered it, and you're free to turn to any "third party".

Immediately she gets in touch with Consumer Rights who in return promised to call her back after getting her contact details. An hour later she gets a call from consumer rights telling her that she'd feel a tone difference when she speaks to the guy from Customer service again. Indeed when CS representative called her he said that they didn't want to spoil her "joy" with her new car and all and that they will take the car back and refund her the money within 2 weeks. Another discussion goes on about registration fees in which Toyota denies, but the next day accepts to pay.

Word to the wise: beware..

interesting !
    Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
    Majeed Photography

Comment

damn!

:thumbsdown:

7 days FTMFW!! go public!

toyota's are crap nowadays, driven a couple 09 models lately and the quality is like sh*t.. interiors, exteriors, paint & everything....

an 09 landcruiser hit me a couple months back while driving my 06 civic, and his front bumper paint pealed off like sh*t but my civic just needed a good wash :D

BMW history:
      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Holy crap! WTF?! u'd expect some serious good CS when u're dealing with Toyota but I guess not... I'd still go to the press and I would write to Toyota HQ as well..
        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

on a similar topic, my friend's rental car is a 2009 Camry and it says manufactured in australia :dunno:

not saying the aussies ain't good at manufacturing cars, but i've always thought all toyota's came from japan :dunno:

BMW history:

Comment

Same here, I thought Altimas were from Japan but on the registration the manufacturing country for all Altimas is written 'America'..

Comment

well , IMHO just accepting the car price refund is fair enough in business ethics world , but come on !!!! demanding compensation for the days she didn't own a car !!!!
              that's too much & that's my own personal opinion , no bashing please

Comment

+1
                sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
                2006 Z4M - SOLD
                1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
                2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
                2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
                2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
                2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
                1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
                2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

^ i completely agree! Returning the car is fair and right, but asking for comoensation for the days without a car! come on, even in the States, the country of customer service, you wont get such a compensation!

I'm glad she got her money back, lesson learned i guess. Check everything about the car prior to ur purchase!

Interesting story! :)
                  sigpic
                  Audi R8 - White / Blk
                  Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

+2...

I was impressed with them accepting to take the car back in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                      +2...

I was impressed with them accepting to take the car back in fairness.
                      Completely agree !

if i was in the shoes of toyota, i wouldn't even accept returning the car.

Nobody told her (i assume) or claimed the car manufacturing origin. she has accepted buying the car after am sure being at the showroom and inspecting thoroughly the car of her choice.

they are nice, and have the rights to ask for media advertisement if she opt to ! Who in the world in these days, would refund a car after it being registered if not someone with an extremely well taken care of CS ?
                      Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                      Majeed Photography

Comment

do u think the Honda's u r driving are made in Japan?

Peugeot, Citroen in France?

for example, they have damn big factories in Turkey. as far as i know almost all Honda Cities and Peugeot Partners are being manufactured in Turkey and imported to european counteries.

global world...wherever it is manufactured, a Toyota is a Toyota!!!

this name is equal to durability guys. respect

Comment

^ ^ ^ +100000
                          Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                          Majeed Photography

Comment

i tend not to agree Hassan..

i used to work for a supplier who manufactures the same equipment in 3 different countries, and you could tell the difference in quality, build, materials used etc...

whereas for cars, the paint job on a Z4 for instance (US made) is poorer than any other German made bimmer..

another example is what we know as Chevrolet Aveo, Optra, Epica etc... those are all in fact Daewoo cars made in Korea (formerly known as Lanos, Nubira, Leganza) and only carry the Chevy badge..

ohhh and yes the Civic is made in Japan, till now at least :rofl:

BMW history:

Comment

It sounds to me like Toyota was extremely generous in refunding her money! You can't expect that because it's a Toyota its made in Japan...This is nothing new and there's nothing wrong with it. They make Camry's in Aussie, the US, and probably elsewhere.

And as Haissam implied...they have been making Civics in the US for at least a decade and they are great cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X