Bugatti 16 C Galibier Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugatti 16 C Galibier Concept

The maker of the superest supercar steps forward with what could become the superest sedan.
    BY MARK GILLIES
    September 2009

Bugatti has announced that the Veyron will cease production in 2012, so the question is, what will the company do for an encore? Or will there even be an encore?

Well, it seems there might well be. And that Bugatti is not content simply with making the world’s fastest sports car, because it intends to produce the fastest sedan as well. That’s the thinking behind the 16 C Galibier concept, named after both an Alpine pass and a handsome sedan built on the Type 57 chassis from the 1930s.

At an unveiling of the concept car at the company’s base in Mosheim, France, president Franz-Josef Paefgen said that “the Veyron was just the start of Bugatti’s revival. We are sure there will be a market for exclusive, high-end cars, even in the current economic climate. The concept we have shows one way ahead for the marque. There is no decision on production, but the car is going to be sent around the world to gauge reaction from potential clients.”

The 16 C is a large and impressive four-door hatchback, just like the Porsche Panamera. No dimensions were revealed, but it’s about 216 inches long and has a wheelbase of around 144 inches. The 285/35 Z-rated tires roll on 22-inch rims.

Underhood, there’s an 8.0-liter, supercharged W-16 engine making an undisclosed amount of power. One clue as to the actual grunt came from looking at the power gauge in the cockpit, which goes all the way to 800—since the Veyron’s goes just past 1000, we assume that means it will make 800 hp. This, and a speedometer reading 390 km/h (242 mph), seems to back up Bugatti’s aim for the Galibier to be the most powerful and fastest four-door in the world. It will be tuned to run on ethanol and gasoline, although we can’t imagine that running biofuel is much of a green statement in this car.

Interestingly, Bugatti personnel said that the engine’s superchargers will operate in a two-stage fashion, perhaps using differential gearing to run fast at low revs for torque and slower at higher engine speeds for power. The automatic transmission will have seven or eight speeds, but Bugatti hasn’t decided whether to use a conventional automatic, an automatic with a wet-plate clutch, or a dual-clutch arrangement like the one found in the Veyron.

All-wheel drive will be used, along with carbon-ceramic brakes. The fenders and doors are made of aluminum, with the rest of the panels and some of the front-end structure being formed from carbon fiber to keep the weight down. We understand that aluminum structural elements, most likely shared with the new Bentley Mulsanne, underpin the car.

We’re not totally sure about the styling, although it is certainly eye-catching. The front and rear LED lights are exquisite, along with eight tailpipes that pay homage to the type 57SC Atlantic from the 1930s. Other nice touches are the retro butterfly-wing hood and the horseshoe radiator that’s more successful on this car than on the Veyron.

There is lots of room for four adults inside, all of whom will ride in a cabin that looks like a luxury yacht’s, with acres of wood and leather, including some woven panels on the doors. Just like the Veyron, the interior is beautiful to look at and all the pieces are a joy to touch.

This should be the case, considering that Bugatti is eying an asking price of 900,000 to 1 million euros, or slightly less than the Veyron. At current exchange rates, that’s about $1.6 million, or the equivalent of four Rolls-Royce Phantoms. If there are enough takers—and Bugatti says it needs only 300 or 400—the Galibier will go into production in 2013.

[youtube]I6ZPBA1w5ic&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
    sigpic
    07' HFP Accord | Current
    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

:drool: luxuary is different :drool:

Comment

Am I seeing 8 exhausts at the back ?
      sigpic
      07' HFP Accord | Current
      HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

Comment

individual design!

Comment

Originally posted by M_Powerholic View Post
          Am I seeing 8 exhausts at the back ?
          i guess so

Comment

what is with designers and these STUPID UGLY MFSOB hatchback-like rears?! what is happening to this DAMN WORLD!!! makes me ANGRY!!! :angry:
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
              what is with designers and these STUPID UGLY MFSOB hatchback-like rears?! what is happening to this DAMN WORLD!!! makes me ANGRY!!! :angry:
              :taser::taser::taser:
              :bash::bash::bash:

Comment

look to the old style interior design.....stunning..... :drool:

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

nice interior....UGLY exterior...and why the hell does it have 8 exhausts!!! Crap!!!
                  Photographer
                  My Website

Comment

The rear end is close to that of Panamera :thumbsdown: it would still sell cuz its got lots of chrome..

Comment

More !

Video added to the first post ! :)
                      sigpic
                      07' HFP Accord | Current

Comment

What on earth did the designer do with the exhausts :puke:

He made one tip for every two cylinders..

Comment

is it me or i can only see 6? where did the other 2 come from?

btw it sux!

Comment

i'm sure ayham will like it :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                              is it me or i can only see 6? where did the other 2 come from?
                              They gave birth to each other..

Comment

Working...
                              X