Abu Dhabi-based Aabar owns 40% in Tesla Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abu Dhabi-based Aabar owns 40% in Tesla Motors

Good move, Tesla are the biggest coming thing in the car industry for this decade...

Abu Dhabi’s Aabar Investments has taken a 40 per cent stake in the US motor manufacturer Tesla. Read on for more information about this niche company, and why they are important.

Who, or what, is Tesla?

Tesla Motors is a company which produces high quality electric cars. It was founded in 2003 in California and is named after famous electrical engineer Nikola Tesla (the man who is widely credited with forming the groundwork for the modern day electrical system). Unlike many manufacturers, Tesla cars are designed to be electric only. There is no petrol driven engine.

Why did Aabar buy a stake?

According to Khadem Al Qubaisi, chair of Aabar investments, there is a desire to focus on the development of electric vehicles and projects aimed at the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions”

So what about the cars?

This is the cool bit. Unlike most conventional electric car companies, Tesla is committed to the “production of high performance, consumer-oriented battery electric vehicles.” It currently has one car, but what a car! The Roadster, while expensive at Dh460,000, has Ferrari bashing acceleration (0-100m/h in 3.9 seconds) and can run more than 200 miles on a full charge.

And the future?

The company has unveiled the Model S, which is a luxury sports saloon that should be on the market in 2011. It is claimed it will have a touch screen dashboard, be able to travel more than 300 miles on a single charge and still hit the 100km/h mark in just 5.5 seconds. This car will sell for around Dh185,000.

Isn’t that a bit expensive?

Well yes, which is why a third car is in the pipeline for 2012. The car, which runs under the code name Bluestar at the moment, will be the entry level model and will cost around Dh110,000. This isn’t in Daihatsu territory but is still 40% cheaper than the Model S.

Where can I get one?

Tesla is not currently being sold in the UAE at the moment, but with Aabar’s 40 per cent stake in the company, it can surely only be a matter of time. Some reports from the US claim that the car will be available within a matter of weeks.

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Aut.../10331390.html

would you really wanna run a car with so many battery cell in it with the kind of weather we have here!?! I wouldn't!

Although I've seen what this car can do on Top Gear and it really is quite an acheivement, I think Jeremy's advice on it is sound and he makes a lot of sense. I'll try to find his review on it and post it here!
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Please do, got me interested...

Comment

[youtube]AG3bMKR5eXk[/youtube]

Comment

hehe... Ali is always the one that beats us all with this stuff!
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Working...
          X