How do you guys go about this.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys go about this.....

I've always been curious regarding mechanics who say they have changed this part and that part when you bring them a big job or major maintenance of some sort. How do u know that what they claim as changed has been really replaced???
    This came up in my head cause a friend of mine was fixing his M3 and part of the maintenance he was doing was changing engine brackets (if thats what they are called) and gasket seal (front and back). Few months pass by and he ended taking his car to another mechanic. The second mechanic inspected the car and made a list of things to replace, of that list the engine bracket and gasket seals were included!!!
    I happened to take my car to that same 1st mechanic for differential and gear oil change, i have no clue if any have been changed!

How do you guys go about such situations....
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

1. Go to a trustful mechanic, who you trust blindly and can believe that he'll do the jobs even in your absence if you leave the car back at the garage, or

2. Bring the OEM parts yourself, get an appointment from the mechanic and be ready to sit on his head for 'hours' until the job is done, right infront of your eyes, or

3. Dealer - Spend more than what you would usually spend in a garage but definetely you wouldnt be cheated, dont forget, sometimes they'll charge you for changing unnecessary parts as well, so be ready with your pockets full or else be ready to get holes in your pocket..

Comment

The problem is that most mechanics tell you "u have to leave the car" meaning the job will take long or he is very busy and wont be able to start on the car immediately.
      What happened to my friend is getting me all freaked out now! lol
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Mostly mechanics ask the customers to leave the car and go, because they tend to fix one part and spoil the other so you come back again.. In that case you cant go wrong with the dealer, leave the car and get it done when its ready, with no doubts..

Comment

always ask for the old parts and try to make surprising visits
          as for that mechanic, he is not honest and u have to kick his A$$, go there and make a big fuss, he should be shaken if he is not good
          I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

I should'nt be telling you guy's this,but when I used to send my 318Is to the main dealers (UK)for for major work such as inspection II.
            I would tippex every part that they should change and every oil drain plug they should undo.
            Believe me I have caught them out on several occasions.

Comment

that is a hell of a good idea Shak...
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I always ask for the old parts, put the car on the lift and take a look myself to see the new, pitch-black parts in there. I also ask them a couple of Qs that only he who have actually did the job would know the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                  Mostly mechanics ask the customers to leave the car and go, because they tend to fix one part and spoil the other so you come back again.. In that case you cant go wrong with the dealer, leave the car and get it done when its ready, with no doubts..
                  That's bogus man, the mechanic would have a car with a big job that he'd have to finish before, so he wouldn't loose the current the job he'd tell you to leave the car for the afternoon so he'd start with it the next morning for example.

And I agree with Mahmoud and Ayham, always ask for your old parts, they're YOURS.

The trick Shak uses is what some dealers use to make sure somone hasn't tampered with the car to void warranty, but nicely done man!
                  sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                  LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                  P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                  Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                    this might be true for some but others like to keep the car there for the mechanic not to be pressured by the owner sitting by their cars waiting for it to finish.

most of what all of you said works fine.

Comment

That sucks! Now i really have doubts about the differential and gear oil, not sure if they have been changed or not! No old parts to ask for here! lol
                      Damn!
                      sigpic
                      Audi R8 - White / Blk
                      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

remove the dipsticks and check the colour and smell of the 2 oils ......thats all wat u can do
                        I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

In a matter like this, I think the best solution is to mark the drain plug so you'd know if they replaced the oil or not.
                          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Working...
                          X