BMW heiress 'blackmailed for millions'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW heiress 'blackmailed for millions'

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- Germany's richest woman has said a former lover has threatened to release pictures of them together if she does not pay him millions of euros (dollars), according to her spokesman.

Susanne Klatten holds a 12.5-percent stake in BMW.

Susanne Klatten's spokesman Joerg Appelhans told CNN Tuesday that the BMW heiress alerted police in January this year that she was the victim of fraud and blackmail by a man he identified as Mr. S.

Appelhans said the man had been threatening since autumn 2007 to release pictures of their "meetings" together.

Klatten "came to the conclusion that the relationship with Mr. S. was of a solely criminal nature," Appelhans said. Some German media reports say Klatten is one of four rich German women who have been preyed on by the same gang.

"His goal was from the beginning to con her and to blackmail her into giving him money. She rigorously notified authorities even in light of the uncomfortable public repercussions this would have for her. The ensuing criminal investigation led to the arrest of the perpetrator," Appelhans added.

"The blackmailing with pictures of the meetings they had began in the fall of 2007. First, the blackmailer demanded a loan of several million euros. Later, he attempted to solicit a much larger sum."

Anton Winkler, from the Munich state prosecutor's office, confirmed that an investigation has been opened and that a man called Helg Scarbi was arrested in January and is in custody in Munich. He declined to give further details.

Rome daily La Repubblica, quoting documents German investigators sent to Italian prosecutors, has reported that the suspect allegedly tried to obtain €40 million ($51 million) from Klatten, according to The Associated Press.

Klatten, the daughter of the late BMW chief Herbert Quandt, holds a 12.5-percent stake in the German carmaker and a 51.1-percent share of chemical company Altana.

In 2007 Forbes magazine listed her as the world's 68th richest person, with a personal fortune of $9.6 billion
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

there was a case in S AFRICA last year at the co i worked for, Supergroup. The guy, Larry Lipschitz had some affair with his yoga instructor and the lady's husband didnt wanna pay the guy back the money he owed larry-this guy threatened to tell the press if larry didnt let him keep the money. larry is a multimillionaire, but i think he is greedy, so this story was everywhere in the press-he sued the guy and got his dough back.
    this woman should do the same-i mean everyone has relations-u cant expect some1 in that position to live alone, so she should call the guy's bluff-i mean who cares. the quandts live quiet lives anyway.

Think before you act.

Comment

Working...
    X