Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here, 2011 F10 550i

Hey, I hope everyone is doing well
    Ive been a member in this forum for a while but i never really posted anything and then I sort of got a bit busy and forgot about it ... sorry about that.
    Anyways I stumbled upon the website again when i was looking for good exhaust shops in Dubai, I got a new 2011 BMW 550i and it seriously needed a better exhaust system. Im happy to say that Ive taken care of that , it still not as loud as i would like it to be but i can finally hear that V8 growl and rumble :drive: . Ill post some pictures of the car here as soon as i upload them to my computer. looking forward to actually participating in this forum :thanks2:.

Ooooooooh that is an interesting car u got there!! MashAllah

Welcome to the forum :) we're all anxiously awaiting those pics!
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

congrats for the new car ..

a lot of doctors here on our forums will give you a name according to their personal experience , which non of them have any experience with the your car .

I totally understand your situation and I have the same frustration , but always remember ,, if you changed your exhaust , you need to find a safe place to keep your stock ones BECAUSE every time you go back to the dealer for any any job ( oil service - brake pads job or any warranty claims ) , you need to put your stock exhaust back on the car ... if have an after market exhaust , then you warranty is over ,,

These days BMW are very restricted about aftermarket mods on the turbo engines as they know how much power those cars can have with little tune ...

youtube might help you hearing different brands , do a lot of research on every brand ,, try to check the people's feedback as it will help you a lot ...

i spent the last 3 months doing the same ,, so it might take you the same if you really take it easy . , a lot of people here have spent thousands of dirhams on an exhaust and they have removed it after a while and they didn't get even half of the original price ..

good luck

Comment

Welcome to the forum Sir...

Agree with Ehssan's input, hope you still have the stock unit.

Comment

Welcome!
          sigpic
          BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

Thanks a lot Ahmed, Ehssan, Ayham, and shkater for the warm welcome,
            regarding the exhaust thankfully i still have the stock exhaust with me. as for the warranty i checked with a service rep in AGMC before installing the system and she, reluctantly, told me that it shouldn't really affect the warranty. I was, and still am, seriously skeptical, but according to her it wasn't a problem as long as it was a cat-back system I´m still not sure though. I brought the car in, with the after market system, after finding a couple of bubbles on the front tire, plus the car needed an oil fill up (this thing is an oil burner) and the guy working there didn't mention the exhaust or the warranty, though he lifted the car and drove it to check alignment. I guess i was ether lucky and the guy just ignored that or the service rep i talked to was right. either way im glad i have the stock exhaust with me. regarding the after market exhaust systems i only found 2 companies that produce an after market system for the 550i f10, supersprint and AC shnitzer. Hamman also produces something but I was told the exhaust systems that hamman use are essentially super sprint with hamman tips + i didn't really like the sound clip posted on you tube. I decided to go with a custom one from FOX, so far i hadn't noticed much of a difference in terms of power but the sound is good. According to the guys at FOX it´s ¨medium¨ now i was thinking of removing the resonators and running a one muffler setup, instead of two, for a while ( just to enjoy the sound for a bit) then switching to something else, like an actual brand. Im not that mechanically ¨literate¨ so i have no clue if the FOX system might ruin something or affect something in the future so Im thinking of getting rid of it as soon as i settle on a brand and my best bet currently is AC-shnitzer ( i think i can get the system from AD-motors), which Im not totally in love with. any suggestions from the doctors on this form would be greatly appreciated. Also if you guys don´t mind i was wondering which shop do you guys go to take the exhaust system off and install it again after wards and how much do they usually charge? + isn't it a big inconvenience to do all that every time you go for a check up ? I hated the fact that the 550i was to quiet from the factory but if had to go through that process every time the car needed an oil change i think i might just install the original system back on.
            Last edited by Mr7; 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

sorry i did not go over your entire post, but make sure your aftermarket exhaust is not a weld-in muffler or they will find out that you had it replaced at one point.

both UAE dealers offer warranty if they install it.

Comment

If I was you ,, I would go back to the same lady and ask her for a written letter says the catback exhaust wont affect the warranty ,,, , OR get me the name of the lady so that I can deal with her in the future :lol:

Comment

Welcome Abroad!
                  sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
                  Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
                  Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
                  Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
                  Black 1986 E28 535i
                  Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                  Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                  Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Ehssan View Post
                    If I was you ,, I would go back to the same lady and ask her for a written letter says the catback exhaust wont affect the warranty ,,, , OR get me the name of the lady so that I can deal with her in the future :lol:

Hmm, I will make sure to ask the manger about that, and if he confirms what the lady said ill hopefully be able to get it in writing. should´ve done that from the beginning but i was too impatient and i couldn't wait :spank:. But in either case im definitely going with something better. I will probably get one of the dealers to install it if they agreed to. In the mean time here are some old photos of the car that i took with an iphone 4

and a couple of new ones that i took with a new F12 640i demo:

Last edited by Mr7; 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Congratulations!!!

Lovely car.
                      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

That is a beautiful car mashAllah... Love the vert next to it too!! ;)
                        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

All will be sweet until, God forbid, something happens to the car (given it's a first-gen new shape) then it's all the catback's fault.

Weird thing is, 2 years ago I was contacted by a Club member to check if AGMC would void his E70 X5 warranty if he replaces his catback. This was AGMC's service advisor's reply:

"It will void his warranty immediately, even if it were only exhaust tips."

Just invest in exhaust removal everytime you go to te dealer. Give them no excuse....

P.S: How do you like the new 6?

Comment

Thanks for all of your nice comments :thanks2:,
                            Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                            All will be sweet until, God forbid, something happens to the car (given it's a first-gen new shape) then it's all the catback's fault.

Weird thing is, 2 years ago I was contacted by a Club member to check if AGMC would void his E70 X5 warranty if he replaces his catback. This was AGMC's service advisor's reply:

"It will void his warranty immediately, even if it were only exhaust tips."

Just invest in exhaust removal everytime you go to te dealer. Give them no excuse....

P.S: How do you like the new 6?
                            Thanks for the tip
                            I'll check it out later with the service manger and see if they might be able to install an Ac shnitzer system without voiding my warranty. Do you think I should remove the exhaust and install the stock with fox or do you have any other shops that can help me out? Regarding the new six, it's amazing it feels very similar to my car but a little sharper with better steering (perhaps a different software? Since the new systems are computer based, i guess). It's slower than my car but it's quick enough especially considering the weight. My dad owns a 2009 650i and IMHO the old one feels better, don't get me wrong the new 6 is a great car but it feels a little less fun to drive... It's not as lively. Still didn't test the F12 650i so can't tell if my opinion will change and I'm desperately looking forward to drive the coupe and compare the old coupe with the new one.

Comment

When you talk to the service manager, assuming they'd install whatever exhaust they sell with warranty kept intact, see what their reasoning is. Chances are they'd say because the tips length is ideal!!!

If you are technical enough, you can install what you want and retain the warranty...In theory :)

And your review on the 6 is just like the other car reviewers'. Would love to see the difference myself considering I drive them day in and day out...

Comment

Working...
                              X