Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intro and Advice on BMW320i Convertible Purchase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro and Advice on BMW320i Convertible Purchase!

Hey guys! You seem to have an awesome community here. I've checked out numerous resources such as the price lists that were so helpfully posted and more!

Looking forward to buying my first BMW and becoming a part of the fun!

I was hoping that one of you could please help me! Any advice, opinions, warnings are welcome!

So here's my story, I've identified a 2008 BMW 320i convertible (silver with red leather seats..) in Abu Dhabi. Going to buy it for 115~120K (is this a good price? - it has 56,000 on the Odo, seems to be in decent condition other than the usual steering peel off in BMWs). It comes with warranty and service contract until 2013.

I'll take it to Abu Dhabi Motors to check the service history, but I was wondering -- is there any good mechanic or someone else who can look at this car for me in Abu Dhabi ? I intend to export it to Dubai but I'd like someone to take a look at it before I buy it..

From what I've read around here the official service (@ AGMC & Abu Dhabi Motors) tends to take very long to check a car and it's also expensive.

I believe the car has a full service history (last service was in September 2010) which I will definitely verify. However, I had a very bad experience previously with another car [not a BMW..] so I'd like to err on the side of caution since this is a lot of money for me..

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice and info. I really appreciate it!

Welcome to the club!

It would be best if you could bring the car to Dubai for a prepurchase check by Das Autoworks or X Service.

I am not a fan if convertibles. Especially in the climate here. You have a lot of options in the budget that you have. Make sure you spend your money on the best available option.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Sorry but an 08 already having steering peel? Not an expert here but sounds like the guy left it with the drop off a little to often in the sun... Suspicious!
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

:welcome2: Aboard

Comment

welcome to the family :)
          if u can not bring it to dubai, take it to AD motors and since its had a full service history they ll not take long time to do the same....regarding the cost i dont have any idea....and good luck

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
          E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the info so far! Yeah the steering peel made me kind of suspicious... Unfortunately, the last time I viewed the car was at night (Thursday evening..) but I'm going back tomorrow morning to check it out during the day.

Will also skip into Abu Dhabi Motors to get the service history out of them as well as see if they can do some kind of checkup on the car.

The car does seem to be in good condition and drove pretty well when I tried it out. However, I'm no expert and hence why I'm looking for a good mechanic in Abu Dhabi to take a look at it.

I can ask the guy if he can bring it to Dubai for a check up.. Are Das Autoworks or X-Service open on Saturdays ? Any contact info for them ?

Thanks for the welcome guys! :)

EDIT: @Hasan - I'll also take a look at a 330i Coupe tomorrow that's available in Dubai. It's a 2007 model with 38K on the Odo, might be a nice option. I do agree that the weather here isn't the best for a convertible -- just really want to own a convertible since I never had one..
            Last edited by ash2011; 05-02-2011, 02:02 AM.

Comment

I believe everyone should own a convertible once in their lifetime. Good luck on your hunt!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
                Sorry but an 08 already having steering peel? Not an expert here but sounds like the guy left it with the drop off a little to often in the sun... Suspicious!
                That made me suspicious as well but I googled it and found that many people have had the same issue on new models. The steering and window controls trim start peeling off after a few months in some cases (mostly because of the summer heat.. ).

I've asked the guy if he can come to Dubai to Das Autoworks for a pre purchase check.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                  I am not a fan if convertibles. Especially in the climate here.
                  :spank2:

Welcome to the club mate ! I think a check up in AD Motors will cost you around 1800dhs. However i would strongly recommend Das or X in Dubai.

Good luck
                  07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately he couldn't come to Dubai today. I spoke to Ayham from Das in the morning and he said that the check would take 3-4 hours and that they're open from 9-6. However, the guy couldn't make it today cause he was working and says that he won't be able to come to Dubai since his boss isn't letting him go on work days *sigh*.

He said that the car is under warranty and that any issues would be fixed by the agency but I told him I'd still like to do a pre-purchase check just to be sure, especially cause the last service was in September.

Now the question is, are there really no good mechanics in Abu Dhabi who could give the car a look over and help me out ? He said we could go to Musaffa if there is someone there.

Does anyone know anyone or could anyone please recommend someone who is knowledgable about these things ?

Thanks guys, you've all been great so far, I really would like to buy this car and I just need someone with BMW knowledge to give it a look over...

EDIT: Okay, so I found Nadir's number on the forum on another thread and spoke to him. He agreed to do a check on the car tomorrow so I'll go to Abu Dhabi and fingers crossed will have a new car by the end of the day. Woohoo :D

EDIT 2: Anyone know directions to Nadir's Green Palm Garage ? I can't seem to find any info online. Everywhere says behind Exhaust Al Malak.. what's that ? Sorry if I sound super clueless..
                    Last edited by ash2011; 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

welcome to the club dude, id say just be careful with convertibles they have a tendency to break down . and if it stopped opening or closing u will be pissed, plus as a cabrio owner maself i have to say that the weather here is very sandy , so ur car will always have sand and dust in it other than that , a cabrio is always one hell of a ride especially during this time of the year. usually the top is down on ma car from late september to april or sth :)

Comment

Hey guys, just an update on this. I purchased my 2008 BMW 320i Convertible yesterday and she's a real beauty! I went to Nadir and he said the car is in absolutely perfect condition, however, I should check the warranty situation.

So we went to the BMW dealership and well.. Nadir was right. The car's warranty had expired (as opposed to what the seller was advertising..). Apparently BMW offers a 5 year warranty if you buy it at the time of purchase OR you can extend it at the end of 2 years if the car has less than 30K kms on it.

I felt a bit cheated but I realized that the seller also didn't know about it because the warranty had actually expired even before he had purchased the car. Not wanting to ditch a deal on something that's not easily available I decided to ask him to reduce the price and we came to an agreement.

Needless to say I'm now the proud new owner of an awesome BMW 320i convertible :D Still got export plates on her though, trying to find a good insurance deal today.. lets see.. The guys at Abu Dhabi quoted an insane 7000+ aed/year. Any suggestions ?

Comment

Send a pm to member Nabil and he can give you a quote for a good insurance deal..

Pictures or it didnt happen !

Comment

I can't seem to actually PM anyone -- maybe 'cause I'm still a new member.

Pics will be up soon, just gotta get these export plates out first -- going to register today. Got insurance from Noor's Takaful which was the lowest of the online quotes. Main issue is that I'm under 25 so all the insurance companies rip me off :P

Comment

congrates then :)
                              im using also Noor Takaful for my sis in law car, they r good

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                              E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Working...
                              X