Hello from Cairo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Cairo

Hi guys, glad to find this forum. Hoping to make new friends and help others if I can.

:welcome2: Aboard

Would be great if you share some info or pics about your car..

Comment

welcome to our humble home :D
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

welcome to the club :)

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Welcome the the club!

Another E30.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Thank you all for your warm welcome guys!

Ok here's my story and car pix...sorry for the long story :P

I've always wanted an ///M3 ever since I saw the E30 M3 in a motor show in
            Cairo. I was in high school then. Car prices are a bit high here, so whenever I
            saved up, I was always a few tens of thousands short....I missed the E30,
            and almost bought the E36 M3 (taxes/customs were crazy) and I actually put a
            down payment on a 2001 E46 M3 when I was in New York. Unfortunately I was
            in Manhattan when the 9/11 events occured. So I stayed a few more months
            hoping things would get better but it only got worse so I left and came back
            home...

Years later, in 2006 I bought a 318i E46 sedan with the goal of converting it
            into an ///M3. Through a friend I got a 2003 ///M3 with SMG from FabDirect of
            the UK. Lots of reading and preperation. Followed by many days & nights
            sleeping under the car at my home garage. At first I had some friends visit
            and help out. Once the engine & harness were out, everybody was scared and
            nobody wanted to help. They started treating me like a mad scientist who had
            once owned a nice BMW, and converted it into a pile of scary junk. Nobody wanted
            to get involved in this crime. Even my own parents lost hope. I still
            remember my father saying: I just wish to see that car run some day. I
            promised him I will never tow the car to any shop, I will drive it out of my
            garage with the S54 tranny.

Working alone, my only companion was a list of mp3s that kept running repeatedly
            for many days. First task was to convert the wiring harness from Right Hand
            Drive to LHD. I had to study the ///M3 wiring diagrams, tripple checking
            everything. For the mechanics, I bought some nice hydraulic tools to help
            (swapping engine, rear suspension, very tough job to do alone sometimes
            required to use arms and legs like when installing the exhaust pipes). I was
            progressing slowly but surely as they say. Every bolt was torque tightened as
            per BMW specs (even the non critical bolts) using high quality Hazet torque
            wrenches and an angle torque gauge. Many purchases of parts, plastics,
            oils...etc. All BMW's recalls and SIBs were done by myself also and at
            home. Things like: rod bearing replacement, SMG relay harness (switching the two
            red wires as BMW decided it was better for the SMG pump), and updating
            software of SMG and DME, even the differential oil with friction modifiers
            (SAF-XJ + FM booster) and then doing the 20 turns to the right, 20 to the left
            and 20 eights to bed the diff's clutch. For the body work I got a skilled
            auto body workman to do the fender flares, and install the ///M3 trunk floor
            that I bought brand new. Other enhacements include UUC lightweight clutch
            and flywheel, Vorsteiner carbon fiber hood, CSL carbon fiber trunk... When the
            body and paint preperation was done I drove the car straight from my home
            garage to the paint booth. I was also involved in the paint process, as I
            researched and found that BMW uses materials/paints from Glasurit. So I bought
            the raw chemicals myself, and instructed the guys how to apply it on plastics,
            metal..etc. The technical documentation from Glasurit is very detailed and
            specific, the hard part was convincing the guys donig the work to follow
            instructions. With some tough love I managed to convicne the guys and got the
            results I was after :)

The car's been sheer driving pleasure ever since. My goal was to build a
            reliable, trouble free, as good as new ///M3. For 3 years now my hands only get
            dirty for oil changes, brake pads. Here's a link driving it (shot by phone cam
            so movie quality sucks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE7tqlbL3cc

Recently I got me a 1989 E30 320i convertible that I'm hoping to convert
            into a monster....would like to throw in the S65 V8, or the S85 V10 (if I can
            get a bargain on an engine management system for the V10). Will post pics of
            the new babe as soon as I finish the paperwork.

The end.
            Attached Files

Comment

Glad to know you better.

You have come to the right place.

We have excellent people in the club. You shall find them very helpful and more knowledgeable than most BMW enthusiasts.
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

i salute you for the hard work... job well done there. i'm sure many people have let you down during the process, it comes with the package. great that you over turned that and continued the project.

what have you done to the brakes and suspension?? i see it a bit off?

Comment

Suspension, brakes, everything including the entire Steering wheel column with its steering angle sensor are ///M3. The only thing left from the E46 sedan is the outer body and the Dashboard.
                  At first I bought a Koni kit with lowered springs, I loved the slammed look & performance was nice but this doesn't suit our bumpy roads. I ended up being slower than the worst cars, taking bumps diagnoally while Hyundai drivers honk and curse...etc. After a few weeks I decided to get 4 ///M3 shocks with springs from the States and those are the ones in the pix.
                  The brakes and rotors came with the UK 2003 ///M3 so those were on from day 1. A year later I got new Euro spec rotors from Germany which are basically the same as the ones that came with the car. If there's something I'm missing let me know.

Well, people weren't letting me down intentionally, they're ones who cared and got scared...I can't blame them. Problem is, when your parents start worrying, that makes you doubt yourself sometimes hahahahaha.

Comment

and they're like sell sell sell or my son has a junk car :P

glad it all worked out.. but i think it can be lowered even more from the back no?

Comment

Actually it was: What happened to what used to be a car? You can't even sell now! lol
                      I'm sure it'd look and even perform better if lowered. The roads here are tough and full of surprises (trust me). If I am to do any mods to the suspension I'd consider getting BMW's rough road package for ///M3 which would raise the car even more.

Comment

Welcome aboard and great job there !!!

I hope I didn't miss anything reading the essay above :rofl:, one question though.. Have you made any adjustments to the drive shaft length? What work have you done to reinforce the chassis ?

The is a well respected project.
                        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Drive shaft length remains intact (no changes just use ///M3 driveshaft).
                          The chassis reinforcements are all bolt-ons with the exception of a C pillar enforcement in the E46 ///M3 chassis itself, which regular E46's don't have (neither does mine). This is from reading a pdf explaining the differences (read it 3 years ago so excuse me if it's a A or B pillar, but if my memory is serving me well it should be C, if not then those who know please correct me).

Thank you all.

Comment

Very well done man...i respect the ppl who try to achieve the hard goal as they want it to be, one question came to my mind coz I was planning to do the same project but the only things let me down that the traffic department here, they reject my request of swapping the engine from 4 to 6 cylinders :( wht about in ur country? Is it allowed such transform, is it registered?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                            E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Thank you. It's registered. Such transforms are allowed as long as the car and engine are of the same brand regardless of cylinders or engine capacity (both BMW in my case).

Comment

Working...
                              X