Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie member, finally buying an old BMW!? (questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie member, finally buying an old BMW!? (questions)

Hey everyone.. I've gone through the forums for a short while and I see that there is so much to read!! (I'd better wait till office hours are out heheh).. It's really nice to see a forum(or rather a Club) filled with really devoted people like this.. I'm looking forward to purchasing my first BMW and joining the Club at first upcoming event..

I'll be buying an E39 540i in a couple of days hopefully.. I've 3 cars in mind; of which I've only seen the last one yet.(I checked out 2 other cars aside these 3 which were sadly in awfull condition)

1) http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...y-nice-price-/
    2) http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...sale-bmw-540-/
    3) http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...0/6/b-m-w-540/

First of all, I'm wondering if anybody has any info regarding these cars? I'm quite confused about these cars are priced. I've tested one for 16K AED which is hell lot better than a 20K AED similar car.. So I'm assuming al the 17K+ AED alternatives are simply overpriced? Though of course I can't be sure before taking the car to either X Service or Auto works :)

I'm also concerned about maintenance costs for the pre 2000 E39 540i models. I'd rather follow proper/scheduled maintenance, replace parts before they start alarming for problems etc, simply take care of my car in the best way possible.. According to this how much will I be spending on average per xx KM(??) on regular maintenance?

On the other hand most of the cars on the market are above 150K KM, which is a little worrying for me. Now I know that these cars' engines are fit enough to run till around 500K KM(?) if well maintained(dad was an old Benz enthusiast, I've even seen '84 200E Benz engines easily hitting 400K-450K KM without any glitches). Sadly most of the cars in Dubai are not really taken care of so I'm guessing an engine will start causing serious problems at around 300K-350K KM?

I'll greatly appreciate any help to clear out my mind and go buy my new car without wasting any more time..

Thanks everyone in advance.. :)

Cheers!!

welcome to the club man and definitely u ll enjoy ur stay here :D
    there was one 540i for sale on our bmw for sale section, here is the link
    http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4864

and good luck with the search

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
    E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome eoudeh, started feeling comfortable already even when I was just reading the posts :)

I've seen that 540i already but my wallet is warning me not to go over 16K-17K just in case.. Low milage is really appealing but sadly not the right price for me..

Comment

:welcome2: Aboard

Comment

Originally posted by qetadgzcb View Post

First of all, I'm wondering if anybody has any info regarding these cars? I'm quite confused about these cars are priced. I've tested one for 16K AED which is hell lot better than a 20K AED similar car.. So I'm assuming al the 17K+ AED alternatives are simply overpriced? Though of course I can't be sure before taking the car to either X Service or Auto works :)

welcome sir

I'm also concerned about maintenance costs for the pre 2000 E39 540i models. I'd rather follow proper/scheduled maintenance, replace parts before they start alarming for problems etc, simply take care of my car in the best way possible.. According to this how much will I be spending on average per xx KM(??) on regular maintenance?

Let’s assume it has been maintained and serviced regularly by the previous owner. It depends what kind of people you are, are you the type that drives his car till it melts down or you like to be generous and fix things as they show up? I would say you are looking to spend 2k every 10,000kms oils filters etc…. as a rough average figure

On the other hand most of the cars on the market are above 150K KM, which is a little worrying for me. Now I know that these cars' engines are fit enough to run till around 500K KM(?) if well maintained(dad was an old Benz enthusiast, I've even seen '84 200E Benz engines easily hitting 400K-450K KM without any glitches). Sadly most of the cars in Dubai are not really taken care of so I'm guessing an engine will start causing serious problems at around 300K-350K KM?

It should survive well over 300k kms you might want to have it looked at constantly though.

I'll greatly appreciate any help to clear out my mind and go buy my new car without wasting any more time..

Thanks everyone in advance.. :)

Cheers!!

hope this helps

Comment

Welcome to the Club!
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

welcome aboard :D
              sigpic

Comment

Ey Welcome Aboard Buddy
                sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                E23 735i - Sold

Comment

welcome to the club man :)

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                  E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                  E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                  E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                  E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                  E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

Bruno thanks for the answers..

And thanks to you all for the warm welcome guys.. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X