Autocrossing in Lebanon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autocrossing in Lebanon

As some of you know, my E36 is with me in Lebanon as I'm studying university here. The car's ready for autocross/test/sprint races but none have been happening throughout the winter. Some of you may remember it at one of last years HPDS sessions.

Finally, motorpsort season arrived here and I'm taking part in an autocross/drift competition organized by a famous old school BMW garage and tuner, Mr. Paul Khawand.

It's called SuperSpeed. Local drivers, garages and tuners prep there cars for a tight twisty track, some focused on drifting and some on clean laptimes. The event is held on a rectangular helipad/runway at one of the army's barracks. Good wide open space, acceptable tarmac quality and secure as can be.

The dates are as follows:

May 15, practice session 1, 20$ per car for 5 laps
    May 22, practice session 2, 20$ per car for 5 laps
    May 28th, qualifications
    May 29th, official/final race, 100$ per car

I attended practice session 1 and it was a good start. Haven't been behind the wheel since last year, so a little rusty on the first run but I did quite well compared to the non-drifters on both runs.

Car performed very well, plenty of grip and response. Lots were surprised that power came from a 1.8l 16V 4-pot. But, in reality you don't need anymore than that on a tight track.

Ramzi took part in his E36M3, did really well especially with the roundabouts. Car was flat and balanced throughout especially with the new coilover setup he's running.

Good friend of mine in a 2003 Celica GTS took part and really surprised the crowd and proved that a FWD 4-pot can do some damage! This is a 190hp 1.8l 16V with VVTL-i, the L means two cam timings, aggressive being 296!! It weighs nothing and has a true CF hood. 6-speed manual as standard and a 4.2:1 open diff. Redlines at 8,500RPMs as well!

Second session is this Sunday, again same venue.

Car's being prepped with a different suspension set up this time for better grip and a little surprise I'll reveal later. Completely stripped except for half the dashboard, carpet and A/C. I faced a problem in the last session, the OMP steering wheel I'm running is waaaaayyy too small for such a track and it gave me hell in the tight turns and counter steering. I ditched it for possibly the weirdest steering wheel available, a MB 190E 2.5-16 AMG EVO wheel...:D It was the only one with the correct hub spline and adapter I had laying around, so it'll do for now.

The Celica is participating this time as well, hopefully with a better suspension set up as well.

I know bored you all to death so I'm going to stop talking!

There's videos and photos from the first session, but I don't have them all with me. I will upload them when I gather both session 1 and 2.

Representing the BMW Club UAE!!

Wish me luck ya'll!
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Good luck Amer!!! Make us proud and do some damage! we're keeping our eyes pealed for this space and full updates
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Good luck bro! Make us proud
      sigpic
      BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

It ain't making us proud at this stage, it's about learning from mistakes and shaving off seconds ;)

My BBM is open for your questions as always.

Comment

no, not bored at all.

Good luck bro, im already proud
          Meskovic
          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Thanks a lot everybody! Means alot coming from you!

I'm going to be working on the rear suspension geometry tomorrow morning. Need to induce more -ve camber out back for a little more grip on the corners and less grip at the final braking point before a turn because I will need to use either the e-brake or shift lock 1st to initiate a drift at some parts of the track.

Last session, Ramzi's PS pump spewed some oil out of the relief canal of the reservoir cap. Took me another session for my pump to do the same. Got back home, drained the system, filled it with fresh ATF oil, bled and ready. Steering wheel feels much much lighter and easier to use. Less strain on the engine when steering rapidly through slaloms or counter steering. Fresh brake oil tomorrow as well.

Crappy update for the Celica though, he hit a pot hole and blew the front right tire this afternoon. Hopefully no suspension or rim damage there. Will know by tonight. Mind you the car's still stripped from the last practice session so no spare tire!

That's about it for now.

Thanks again for the support everyone!!
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Good luck

Comment

I have high hopes for you.. Keep us updated.

You have a training session tomorrow?

Comment

all the best buddy! i think you will do well .... a few events and im sure you will giving the guys a good run for their money ;)

Keep it up :)
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Good luck Amer, make us E36 owners proud.

Any pics of the events?
                    1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
                    2012 Camaro SS
                    2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
                    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

goodluck bro :)
                      sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                      E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                      E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                      E23 735i - Sold

Comment

Good Luck Mate!
                        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

i saw it on OTV before yesturday live

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 3ali View Post
                            i saw it on OTV before yesturday live
                            This one on Sunday was the official Speed Test race 1 organized by ATCL...i was there and it was a true blast especially the sick bmws with the surprising guy with the E90M3 + Hydro who put on the quickest BMW time although his car is in the "Amateur" category and while many others had E46 and E30 M3s in the "Pro" Category that are fully stripped with serious mods Dunlop slicks but couldn't go around as quick as he did.

As for my experience on the training Superspeed event i participated in on the 22nd of May, it was true fun and a chance to test the car's handling and learn some throttle control and precision steering but mainly i wanted a chance to learn the 360' drifts around a cone as the event was not timed and i will leave the rest to the videos on how it went :)...when Mr.Amer decides to finally share the videos and pics.

Comment

Working...
                            X