Words ofwisdom by Ahmad Lutfi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words ofwisdom by Ahmad Lutfi

Well it all really depends on what you are out there to do. Majority of the folks get bitten by the mod bug and go all out getting fast lap times. The key should be to INVEST in the NUT behind the wheel.

When I went with the COM Time Trial boys to Watkins Glen back in the days, I had a STOCK E36 M3 running stock pads and tires and was one sec off a CSL on semi slicks.

http://www.comscc.org/events/results...?id=2001-07-20

Prior to that I was running in the 2:26 range. Got myself a coach and watched the lap times drop without doing any mods. My best time at the track later on was 2:18 flat with R Comps, camber, brake pads.

Running a STOCK classed E36 M3 against some of the Modified guys (up to 600 lbs lighter, race suspension, full slicks, aero etc.) here is my time at RA

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newRes...ShowPerClass=0

Please do not get it in a wrong way that I am getting some sort of an ego boost or such. Far from it. The point I am trying to make is:

You can drive ANY car at the track. do the following:

1) Get brake fluid flushed and make sure you have decent pads.
    2) Make sure bushings/suspension/alignment/tires is in good shape.

Go out there and learn. No need to go mod heavy at such an early stage. Learn to drive the car with its limitations. Compare yourself to NO ONE but yourself. Even a fully modified car has its quirks. But then you adjust to that as well. Kinda like crack, the more you do, the more you yearn.

Even with the STi, performance mods are an exhaust (stock tune), KW coilovers, swaybars, camber plates, semis and track pads (the rest are cooling and safety). Nothing more nothing less. heck at the AD straight the NSX PULLED on me and it was dead even with Steve's 350Z. Ryan's Evo MURDERED me when we did a straight run pull.

I have two options now.

1) go modify it gain lap times.
    2) Tune the suspension (which I have been doing) learn to drive the car with its current limitation and adjust my driving to suit. (more painful but in the long term, better investment).

Oh and did I mention when I raced with www.davidmurry.com in a 24 Hour race last year how we was a FULL 1 second faster than me EVERY single lap? same car, same day, same condition. WFIW: a sec differene is approx 5ish car's length per lap. I need to go back to the drawing board now.

Amateur wanna be racer

Lutfy
    We all must learn something from this :read:
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

We should all sucumb to !
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Man Lutfy is one heck of a guy, on a personal level before on a motorsport level. He's changed our views on how to go about motorsports, working on MY skills has always come at 2nd place, but not anymore. I learned my lesson in the last track day, thanks to Raad Haddad for the pointers that reduced my laptimes by 4-5 seconds as I reckon.

We are VERY fortunate that guys like Lutfy, Raad (Pirelli), and Mark (drcluncky) are on board with us. And very fortunate some of our members are track addicts! Please take advantage of the HPDS courses coming next month to build on.

Comment

I say try following their lines.. lol let me get my new car and get it ready and I will be on the track.. its a promise.. lol
        Current:
        2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
        2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
        2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
        1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
        1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

Comment

Lesson learnt -

Driver > Mods
          (is greater than)
          2008 325i coupe
          Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Naj View Post
            I say try following their lines.. lol let me get my new car and get it ready and I will be on the track.. its a promise.. lol

:busted:
            sigpic
            07' HFP Accord | Current
            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
              Man Lutfy is one heck of a guy, on a personal level before on a motorsport level. He's changed our views on how to go about motorsports, working on MY skills has always come at 2nd place, but not anymore. I learned my lesson in the last track day, thanks to Raad Haddad for the pointers that reduced my laptimes by 4-5 seconds as I reckon.

We are VERY fortunate that guys like Lutfy, Raad (Pirelli), and Mark (drcluncky) are on board with us. And very fortunate some of our members are track addicts! Please take advantage of the HPDS courses coming next month to build on.
              Very well said Ayham!

The differences small things could do are way bigger than just modding the car without knowing how to really use/utilize your cars ability to the max in its stock state.

Looking forward to the HPDS and hopefully our experiences can be of good use to all the Club members :grouphug:
              Meskovic
              this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Need you to confirm your registration at the HPDS thread :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                  Need you to confirm your registration at the HPDS thread :)
                  Instructors dont register!

Registration Done :yippy:
                  Meskovic

Comment

Didnt notice this thread. Thanks for the kind words guys. Learning how to drive quickly on the track requires you to mentally draw your lines first. There is no 2 way about it. The larger the radius the faster you will go. Simple. However sometime you need to compromise the corner to make the next one sharper. I HIGHLY suggest you guys order

Speed Secrets (get them all) by Ross Bentley and
                    Going Faster (Skip Barber) and get the Going Faster DVD with it.

It will be the best 400AED you will ever spend.

Ahmad (still learning) Lutfy

Comment

Originally posted by Naj View Post
                      DO NOT follow their lines. The ideal lines used by RWD, FWD and AWD are usually different, as are braking points and turn in points.

Get a coach/instructor, understand the fundamentals, and slowly work on your driving line.

Between 2 identical M3s, yes, you can pretty much use the same driving lines, but if you try to follow a Caterham or a modified Evo driven by an experienced track driver, it can be dangerous.

2006 Sprint Blue Audi RS4 : photography by lifegauge : Revo flash by TAM

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfy View Post
                        Didnt notice this thread. Thanks for the kind words guys. Learning how to drive quickly on the track requires you to mentally draw your lines first. There is no 2 way about it. The larger the radius the faster you will go. Simple. However sometime you need to compromise the corner to make the next one sharper. I HIGHLY suggest you guys order

Speed Secrets (get them all) by Ross Bentley and
                        Going Faster (Skip Barber) and get the Going Faster DVD with it.

It will be the best 400AED you will ever spend.

Ahmad (still learning) Lutfy
                        +1 on the book from Skip Barber. I got my hands on one on my last trip home.

Also, the AED300 spent on in-car instruction on a track evening would be an even better spend, followed by lots of seat time in track days.

Comment

Correct ghoonk...

I'd try and convoy with similar cars that I know have some experience. Plenty of matches on track days.

Comment

Oh, and remember : EGO HAS NO PLACE ON TRACK

I might be doing the track day on 20th in an RS4 (DAMC's if possible) and doing the beginners session, not the advanced. People have asked me why I am not joining the advanced group because I used to clock some decent times (1:14.5) and the reason is simple:

I do not know the dynamic limits of the RS4 yet. it is 300 kg heavier than my Evo, and the way power is shifted by the AWD system on the RS4 is also significantly different from my Evo's. Braking points are also going to be different, despite having the same system as the one on the Gallardo/R8, and probably going to be significantly earlier than on my Evo.

As such, better that I take the time to learn the nuances and limits of the car in what I believe to be a safer environment, than to act the hero and find out too late that this lump of metal brakes 50m longer than on the Evo :P

Comment

^^ Ditto...

Comment

Working...
                              X