Driving school/track in own car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving school/track in own car?

Hi guys, I posted a while back in regards to getting involved with track days/auto x this season when the temp drops down a bit, but now that my car is nearing its completion mark, I am starting to get cold (or hot atm) feet a little... ... Lol

Thing is, I know how to drive a little, but have not done any track days/any kind of racing on 4 wheels before in my life, besides a bunch of times to the go kart track on Friday nights.

I've done a few track days on bikes, and really enjoyed that, but that was a while ago, and now I look to 4 wheels for an increased safety margin. ; ) (getting older)

So to back up that initial thread I started a while ago, I am not sure what the best way to get involved is here in Dubai.

Hopefully someone here can pipe in and explain the best/safest way to go and do a few track days/instruction days in my own car. Also the requirements for safety gear would be good..

Like can I use my motorcycle helmet? Or will I need to buy a new one?

Cheers guys, much appreciated..
    Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Motorcycle helmets are fine.

your best bet is to be exposed to the track. first thing's first, book yourself for a track day and make sure you hire an instructor. the feedback and advice you will be getting from the instructor on your car and driving style will be priceless. A few weeks later go out alone and apply what the instructor said; you can always hire him again if you need to.

it's only the first few minutes out there are a bit stressful. everything else that follows will become normal and you get to learn more and more.

AutoX is less risky since there are cones to hit 99% of the time and no barriers. it is easier to join and holds the main concepts of a normal track day but instead it requires a faster response and some discovery (exploring the moves on the track)

Comment

Thanks Bruno, this is exactly the kind of info I was after. Which track/auto x would you recommend?
      Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Working...
      X