Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rallying

Hi guys,
    I logged on this morning and read a thread about some Mustangs rallying. I went out to a meeting and came back bu the thread has dissappeared however it got me a-thinking.
    There a bit of criticism about the chosen car and how bad it would be (and believe me, it wouldn't hold a candle to STi/Evo evo in terms of stage times) but speaking as someone who has been building and competing in rallying for over 10 years, thats the great thing about the sport - you can take just about any car, get some mates involved and have fun in it.
    One of the guys I started rallying with now rallies a lamorghini (in car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvwssyLyPAs) which is a work of art, just jaw droppingly fast and magnificent to listen to whereas another of my mates competed at sub professional national level and now rallies a datsun 180B (in carhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8VWCD2MNMM).
    Take alook at the datto video - if you ever wanted to get an idea of the teamwork involved with rallying and how much fun you can have in a low tech, cheap car, look no further.
    Ayham and I are working on a rally project at the moment, which is progressing against Ayhams wishes (I have a 66,000km E46 M3 that I am "performance enhancing" with the target of converting to gravel rally spec in stages - Ayham says I'm mad) but which will make one hell of a gravel car eventually.
    Anyway - thanks very much for the rally post, whoever did it and whereever it went - its great to see a little sideways action every now and again.
    Jamie

Oh,

I just watched the second half of the Monkhouse video. Background notes are;

1. We Australians swear a bit (but you know that already :))
    2. I loved the little nervous laugh at the end of the long downhill sliding right 4 before the tunnel.
    3. Jack uses a 1 for a hairpin and a 10 for a slight change of direction (eg 9R on crest means a very slight change of direction to the right). A 3R is a right angle turn. 4-9 are spread evenly between 90 degree and almost straight ahead. okay?
    4. Dale Moscatt is a very good navigator (WRC standard).
    5. "Murray" is the guy that makes Proflex suspension in Australia.
    6. The marker posts died becasue the notes should have read "Caution tight 8R 8L hard to see" or something similar. These corners constitute for Jack and Dale in rally speak a "moment". A moment is when you both have sharp intakes of breath, time slows down, the earth tops spinning, your sphincter puckers up, what actually takes less than a second feels like ten while you hope like hell that
    a. the car gets traction soon,
    b. that the marker posts are not made of structural timber and
    c. theres no big rock lurking in the grass.
    Anyway, gotta go - hope this helps.

Jamie
    Last edited by Onerudeman; 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Onerudeman. You are mad for converting an E46M3 in to a gravel race. You have no respect for the car and you are simply wasting it because it doesn't matter how far sideways it goes or how high the engine revs. AWD Turbo sedans like the STi and EVO are the way to go.

A Mustang, as crazy as it is makes a bit more sense than the ridiculous stunt you're trying to pull by screwing up such a nice car.

But please, before you embark on this pointless journey into pissing all us purists off. I would like to offer you this, perhaps it would knock some much needed sense into your head. . .

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6214

And this, again:

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6336

:Checkflag::bow:
      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
        Onerudeman. You are mad for converting an E46M3 in to a gravel race. You have no respect for the car and you are simply wasting it because it doesn't matter how far sideways it goes or how high the engine revs. AWD Turbo sedans like the STi and EVO are the way to go.

A Mustang, as crazy as it is makes a bit more sense than the ridiculous stunt you're trying to pull by screwing up such a nice car.

But please, before you embark on this pointless journey into pissing all us purists off. I would like to offer you this, perhaps it would knock some much needed sense into your head. . .

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6214

And this, again:

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6336

:Checkflag::bow:
        ^ +999
        sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
        E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
        E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
        E23 735i - Sold

Comment

My sentiments when I first met Jaime. However, I remembered that a friend brought me a magazine from New Zealand where the rally series Jamie is interested in was featured. The least respected car was, probably, the E46 M3. It had F430's, Gallardos, GT3's, GT2's, AMG's, name it it was there.

It's not your typical WRC car-in-air type of rallying. To me, as a project, I'm supporting Jaime because it is definitely a hell of an experience to any shop. We'll have to wait and see the end result..

Comment

Onerudeman and everyone else who have read my previous post. I meant the above sarcastically, not literally.

I am all for this idea/project.

For clarifications sake, so please no one get it the wrong way.

Cheers!
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
              Onerudeman and everyone else who have read my previous post. I meant the above sarcastically, not literally.

I am all for this idea/project.

For clarifications sake, so please no one get it the wrong way.

Cheers!

Duuuuuh!

its obvious from the links you posted!
              Meskovic
              this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                Duuuuuh!

its obvious from the links you posted!
                Some understood it the wrong way, so I simply clarified it to avoid any confusion.

Comment

Hi Sewersideup,

No offense taken. I'd assumed it was just trash forum talk but I'd seen your links and figured you were either bipolar or just taking the mickey. Thankfully the later.

If its any consolation I'm currently building the car into a high spec road/track car for club days before I make the decision to install a cage and comit the other sins-against-purists required to make a competitive rally car. It's coming along nicely.

Y'all have a nice day and play friendly.

1RM

Comment

Working...
                  X