Hamilton wins in China, Massa keeps title hopes alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamilton wins in China, Massa keeps title hopes alive

McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton did everything but win the title in Shanghai on Sunday, as he scored his fifth victory of the season in a pluperfect style that left championship rival Felipe Massa floundering in his wake.

The Brazilian ran third for much of the race, astern of Ferrari team mate Kimi Raikkonen as they struggled vainly to keep the McLaren in sight. Then on lap 49 the Finn conceded second place, so that Massa left China with 87 points to Hamilton’s 94 - and with his admittedly fading championship aspirations still alive.

Raikkonen stayed clear of a closing Fernando Alonso, who pushed hard all the way through for Renault, and Nick Heidfeld led BMW Sauber team mate Robert Kubica home as the Pole saw his own title hopes die. His three points leave him on 75, too far behind Hamilton.

The race started with a bang. Hamilton easily beat the Ferraris into the first corner and Alonso finally got the better of McLaren’s Heikki Kovalainen as they duelled over fourth. Further back, however, Toro Rosso’s Sebastien Bourdais tipped Jarno Trulli’s Toyota into a spin. The Frenchman was badly delayed; the Italian made one pit stop at the end of the lap and another a lap later, to retire.

Adrian Sutil and Kovalainen were the only other non-finishers. The Force India stopped on the entry to the pits on lap 13, and Kovalainen, whose McLaren had been smoking on the grid, fell from fifth place to the tail of the field on lap 35 when its right front Bridgestone tyre failed. Later he parked the car in the garage with a mechanical problem.

A one-stop strategy worked well for Timo Glock as he brought the second Toyota home seventh ahead of Nelson Piquet, who had a strong run in the other Renault. There were no points for Sebastian Vettel and Toro Rosso as they finished ninth, ahead of Red Bull’s David Coulthard and an aggressive Rubens Barrichello who was on good form for Honda. Kazuki Nakajima was another one-stopper, finishing 12th ahead of Bourdais, Red Bull’s Mark Webber, Williams team mate Nico Rosberg, Honda’s Jenson Button and Giancarlo Fisichella in the second Force India.

The race did not, in the end, clinch the title for Hamilton, but it did exorcise the ghost of Fuji and it leaves him needing only four points in Brazil. That means he can let the Ferraris and Alonso do what they like, as fifth place will do the job whatever Massa achieves.

www.Formula1.com
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

I know F1 is a team sport, but i hate the fact that a driver is allowed to concede a position to a team mate (team orders). If Massa was running third and Raikkonen concedes second position, it means that Massa picks up 8 points when, in reality, his whole weekend performance (qualification, tactics, driving skill) only justified him winning 6. As if to confirm this, Massa even qualified 3rd to Hamiliton's pole.

I can't think of another sport where there is such a conflict between individualism and team play. Hamilton's 7 point lead means that he needs to finish 5th to win the world championship, whereas if he had the 9 point lead he would have only needed 7th. Moreover, if he had a 9 point lead going into Brazil, Massa would have to win, even if Hamilton were to not finish, which is a completely different scenario.

This is not me being pro-British and pro-Hamilton...this sort of thing goes on in each team and has done for years. I'm just against rules which allow this sort of points manipulation. If Massa is in 3rd next week with Raikkonen winning and Hamilton down the field, what's to stop Raikkonen backing-up the car in 2nd place to allow Massa through to 1st. Would he be a worthy champion? Is that what the sport is about? Is that what the fans want to see? :thumbsdown:

Thanks for listening, now shoot me down!
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

Wont shoot you down, but it is a TEAM sport, The truth here is that the Ferrari as a Team is stronger than Mclarene as a Team, if Hamilton's team mate was as strong as Kimmi he would have suppored hamilton by not allowing someone else into the second position, we all know that mclarene as a team sucks!

In team sports you can be the best but yet lose because your team is not as strong, u need to understand how to work together and support each other which takes more effort/skill than playing alone, it gives winning a different meaning, its waaaay more difficult to win as a team than winning alone ;)
      Meskovic
      this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Great another race ruined :thumbsdown:... I haven't watched it yet... Please like I said before please keep the titles clean of spoilers and post spoiler alerts on the posts
        ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Working...
        X