Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team FJ - Desert Challenge 2010

Team

Team FJ is a Dubai based Rally Team specializing in FIA Cross Country and Baja races in the Middle East and Europe. In August 2008 the Team invested in one of the most competitive production vehicles in the world.
    The Team' Toyota FJ Cruiser was built in 2007 with assistance from Toyota USA by Donahoe racing and immediately won "First in Class" its first race in North America - the Baja 250. It continued to dominate the race series until it was exported to the UAE in 2008. Unlike many works team cars, this very capable race vehicle is clearly based on a production SUV, it appeals as much to the every-day motorist who dreams of off road adventure, as it does to the media, drawn to its purposeful, yet familiar, no-nonsense looks.

In control of the car are David Mabbs (Driver) and Xavier Caminada (Co-Driver) who between them have in excess of 20 years motorsport experience. They are backed up by both a full and part time support crew who manage the technical preparation of the car, media, logistics and all periphery activities required to maintain the team competitiveness.

Vehicle

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser prototype originally built by Donahoe Racing (now ICON vehicle dynamics), California, USA and raced under SCORE racing series regulations.

The vehicle was first entered in the Baja 250 & Baja 1000 events in the USA where it took first and second overall (class 3) respectively.

Original design:

Powertrain: Factory standard 4.0 litre V6 toyota engine (239 bhp @5900rpm / 278 ft/lb @ 3700rpm). Factory fuel injection.

Transmission: Factory standard manual 6 speed with high / low ratio transfer box. Low ratio front differential, �Currie Enterprises� ford 9� 32 spline rear axle originally designed for drag racing cars and rates to withstand 900bhp, differentials are either fully locked or Detroit limited slip.

Front suspension: Upper and lower wishbones custom fabricated by �Total Chaos Fabrication�, twin 63mm bypass dampers with remote reservoirs are fitted with coilover springs, whilst an additional �Jounce Shock� is fitted to provide damping when the suspension �bottoms out�.

Rear suspension: Icon�s unique modified four-link suspension set up with long travel rose joint suspension arms, damped by a total of four of their own 63mm diameter shock absorbers, again with coil-over springs and with Jounce Shocks fitted.

Imported in September 2008 to Dubai, UAE.

All events in the UAE & GCC are governed by FIA sporting and technical regulations and as such the cars design had to be thoroughly reviewed the FIA technical committee, in Paris, for acceptance into FIA cross country rally events. The technical review resulted in the following modifications being implemented in order for the vehicle to be accepted in FIA class T1 and hence compete in the 2008 UAE Desert Challenge event:

Powertrain: An engine air intake restrictor, 32mm in diameter, was fitted immediately before the mass/air flow sensor in order to limit engine power.

Suspension: Front suspension travel had to be restricted to 250mm. Rear suspension travel restricted to 300mm.

Wheels: 16� x 7� diameter rims mounted with BF Goodrich All Terrain 265x75x16 tires were fitted, with two spares carried in a custom made rack originally extending from the rear of the car. This rack was modified for the Hail Baja 2009 to move wheels further inboard, giving better weight distribution.

Fuel Tank: A certified safety fuel cell stems 175 litres. To be changed in 2009 to give greater capacity. Originally mounted close to the rear of the car, was repositioned to a more central position in December 2008 to improve weight distribution.

Safety: FIA approved seats, harnesses, fire extinguishers, electrical isolators and navigation systems were installed.

Other modifications / information:

An under car aluminum bash plate runs from the nose of the car to just beyond halfway along its length. This protects vulnerable engine and exhaust components and helps the car to break over dune crests more easily.

Seats: Sparco

Neck protection: HANS devices worn as per FIA regulations.

Harnesses: Schroth

Compressed air for inflation: Scott carbon fibre breathing apparatus cylinder

Helmets: Bell BR-1 fitted with breather tubes. An onboard air filter and pump supplies clean air to the helmets because�..

Windscreen: There isn�t one!!. Racing with no screen is common in the USA but we are the first team in the Middle East to own and run a SCORE built truck so we decided to go with the �no windscreen� approach to see if there are advantages in terms of keeping cool when racing. There is and we would recommend this modification to anyone racing in good weather conditions.

Email: team@desertfj.com | media@desertfj.com

Phone: David +971 50 4593964 (Eng)
    Xavier +966 59 070 1872 (Fr/Eng)
    Nabil + 971 50 5518700 (Arb/Eng)
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Nice ! That looks strong as a tank, wow ! I wonder how dirty it gets inside without windscreen or any windows..

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Very informative press release, made me think how vast the world of motorsports is. I'm basically a student when it comes to rallying, especially the desert bashing type. So much to learn and awe about. Nabil, any idea how the suspension travel is limited? New shocks or modifying existing internals?

I'd prep mine as a no-windscreen platform, as the other approach is for "sessies" :D But seriously, Team FJ looks like a well-equipped team and possessing the winning potential. Come to us with results when it's done...Godspeed!

Comment

Wirelessly posted (HTC_HD2_T8585 Opera/9.7 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

We are in!...

It is now official, Team FJ has been granted the mandatory administrative and technical authorizations ot compete in the 20th edition of the Desert Challenge.

The action starts tomorrow Saturday March 27, by 11:00am in Abu Dhabi, with the Super Special Stage that will take place in Al Forsan International Sports Resort.

Links to venue:
        http://www.abudhabidesertchallenge.ae/jart/prj3/desertchallenge/data/uploads/Al-Forsan-Map.gif

The set-up is made to guarantee some dramatic action and as competitors will enter a "2 vs.2" prologue!... in a twisty motorcross track!
        Team FJ (Toyota FJ cruiser), seeded fourth in the car category competing vs. car number 203 (Nissan Patrol) will surely be SPECTACULAR to watch!

There will be plenty of viewing zones and access to the holding bay to meet with competitors and get a close look to the machines and desert warriors!

Team FJ will be connected live and throughout the event, thanks to their new hTc HD2 devices...they will report live news, photos and updates on the team progress during the event.

See you in the desert!

Meskovic
        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

More update on today's Super stage coming soon...
          Meskovic

Comment

Al Forsan International Resort witnessed the highest number of competitors in the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge so far and it proved to be a success in spite of the wind trying to make a statement and prove it is present to attend this great event, this didn’t stop the competitors from giving in their best performance that the audience enjoyed and wished will not end.

Team Fj were on a date with setting own new record by achieving their highest prologue ranking yet by having the 5th best time over all, this will grant them an early start in the seventh position.

The car held very well during this stage and managed to survive the heat as well as the team’s crew that made it safe and sound in two groups one at the bivouac and the other ready at the start point for tomorrow’s Leg 1.
            At the bivouac, camp and team FJ’s HQ was setup and burgers were served, wind has eased upon us and we hope for the same tomorrow.

I’ll leave you with some pictures of today’s great performance by the Mabbs and the Caminada!

Meskovic

Comment

can we rent this FJ for next weekend? :D

BMW history:
              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

nice shots!!! giv us more!!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

*Edited*

thats a real Monstor!!
                  Last edited by RAFiK; 29-03-2010, 10:02 AM. Reason: Not using English language..

Comment

Team FJ Rally Bites - The day the transfer box ruled!

LIWA March 2010:

The stage started at 10:30 am, speed and momentum were maintained and we managed to overtake two of the cars in front of us which indicated that we are doing very well, and heading safe and sound 5th overall...so far!

70 kms into PC1 luck went the other way, both the clutch and the gearbox refused to listen to our begging and pleading for them to work, the transfer case decided to JAM in neutral! As David struggled to find what the problem was, Xavier went down and with a quick look underneath the car, oil leak was evident. We toped up the oil for the engine and removed the top of the transfer box and got ourselves going again with over an hour delay to conclude PC1. Just after 126kms through the stage we had an “almost roll” experience, images of last year started to pop.

Did we mention that only 18 kms into the race, our Terratrip sensors died on us and we relied on GPS only for time and distance?

We stopped at PC3 for an oil top up and headed towards the finish line and few meters from the now visible finish line, the gear box speaks again and refuses to change gears, moments later it was convinced that we need to finish and we promise to fix it up nicely at the bivouac and we called it a day!

An 18th overall finish out of 34 cars is not bad at all considering we lost over 1h45mns; the service team will have to pull a nighters to get the car ready for tomorrow start.

Today’s hTc Spirit of the Rally was awarded to Saeed Al Hameli who managed to finish 3rd overall and perform the mission impossible of achieving a top 3 position... without a co-driver!

DAY 1 Results:

• 1st Bike : Marc Coma
                    • 1st Quad: Seb Husseini
                    • 1st Car: Novitsky/Schulz
                    • Spirit of the Rally: Saeed Al Hameli.

DAY 2 Program:

ADNOC STAGE

• 81 Kms road section.
                    • 1st car start 8:15 from bivouac
                    • 1st Bike start 8:50
                    • Service @ PC2 after 156 Kms
                    • Challenging dunes just before the finish @ PC4.

[YOUTUBE]om8r2D8mzdw[/YOUTUBE]

Meskovic

Comment

facebook.com/group.php?gid=325760731813

Live update
                      Meskovic

Comment

Have you guys sorted to woes?

Comment

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and Hope...

LIWA 30th March 2010:

“Where do I begin?
                          To tell the story of how great a love can be
                          The sweet love story that is older than the sea
                          The simple truth about the love he brings to me
                          Where do I start?”

The lyrics of the famous love story movie plays on our heads today as we remember how much we love this sport no matter how bad and ugly it gets.

The good; Team FJ finished yesterday’s stage 8th in the car category and considering all problems that happened it's just great. That put them 7th overall to start the day, fantastic!

The bad: the front differential seals went loose on the road section to SS3 just 2kms after the start, Dave and Xavier took the decision to pull out from the stage to save the car from further damages.

The Ugly: the only option is to put the car back on the trailer and take it back to the bivouac with the consequences of maximum time penalty for the day.

The Hope: While we are returning to the bivouac the rest of the service team is down to Madinat Zayed to get the required parts needed to fix the problem overnight and give it a restart tomorrow.

“How long does it last?
                          Can love be measured by the hours in a day?
                          I have no answers now, but this much I can say
                          I'm going to need him till the stars all burn away
                          And he'll be there”

This part is dedicated to our service crew that did a great and is continuing to do so.

Meskovic

Comment

Working...
                          X