Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake disc replacement for E90

Hello all.
    I need some information regarding my E90 320i. It's a 2008 model and has run just above 72,000 km, driven like any normal utility car (no racing and stuff, that is). Recently when I took it in for a check up at the X-service center, they 'recommended' to change the front discs as well as all 4 brake pads. Apparently it was time to change them. The brake pads, I agree, although they don't make any noise whatsoever now, at 70K km, they might have worn out. But the discs!? I have never heard of a car required to REPLACE discs at 70K. Even if they're worn out, can't they be polished or something? Please let me know. I'm really not a petrolhead like a lot of you out here so I'm not able to take a decision. :)
    thanks.

2 important questions.

1. how many sets of pads has the disk gone through?
    2. have they been skimmed before? how many times?

all cars require their disks to be changed at a certain point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
      2 important questions.

1. how many sets of pads has the disk gone through?
      2. have they been skimmed before? how many times?

all cars require their disks to be changed at a certain point in time.
      1. None. Never changed the pads since i bought it. Never had to, actually, because there were no warnings or any sound from the brakes. They told me the pads are almost worn out and it was time to change. Apparently within the next couple of hundred kilometers, it would have given me a warning.

2. Discs have never been skimmed before.

Comment

72,000 kms and they have never been skimmed before? Whoa! Well, you've got a chance of skimming them and cut down on costs, but that depends if those discs have any thickness left in them! Brakes are due to a change, that you can't run away from!

I'd leave Bruno to add his thoughts here as well!
        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

if they have never been skimmed then you can skim them and install new pads. should be a walk in the park

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. I got them skimmed at a another place and changed all four brake pads. The X-service center guys were right about that - pads were almost done. But the discs - I think that was an attempted rip-off. Cuz the guy at the new place said the discs were nowhere near to being unusable. They can be skimmed at least another couple of times.

These discs get damaged when you ignore the hissing noise from the brakes and the metallic holder of the brake pads start rubbing on them right?

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. I prefer to use harder brake pads, compares skimming discs.
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Working...
              X