Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW E46 Differential

Dear Mates..
    I am planning to replace my M3 E46 Differential..as there is a cracking sound coming when i am making U-Turns..i already checked it and Marc at X-sevice advised me to replace it..i need your advice at below 2 things:
    1-Do you advice to replace it As soon as possible..or i can wait?
    2-Do you know a UAE BMW parts that can deliver it with discount..and how much you guess the price is?
    sigpic

is it a real cracking sound or just "grinding noise" that sounds as if your tires are rubbing against the fenders?

coz i had a grinding noise that was obvious on u-turns (on my 2007 Z4MC) and it was sorted out at the agency by replacing the diff mount & oil, but mine was on warranty :)

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

My poory M3

Ya true..it is a grinding Noice as you mentioned, when i am making U-turns i feel as if my wheels is Rubbing something..
      So you advice me to try changing the oil? by the way it came to my mind, but i called my AGMC for differntial Oil, and they informed me that they doesn't Sell Oil..
      But because i care about my car tooo much, i told myself why not to replace the differential..but i think it is tooo much expensive..true??
      sigpic

Comment

+1 on what Hash said....

The grinding sound can be taken care of with a special diff oil..... SAF-XJ with FM booster part # 83 222 282 583
        ________
        Iolite portable vaporizer forum
        Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 08:04 AM.
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by naseem80 View Post
          Ya true..it is a grinding Noice as you mentioned, when i am making U-turns i feel as if my wheels is Rubbing something..
          So you advice me to try changing the oil? by the way it came to my mind, but i called my AGMC for differntial Oil, and they informed me that they doesn't Sell Oil..
          But because i care about my car tooo much, i told myself why not to replace the differential..but i think it is tooo much expensive..true??
          NOT TRUE Naseem!...AGMC Sells the oil!...i personally bought it from there.... give them the part number....

Once you put the new oil in....you need to drive your car in figure 8's...atleast 20 times.... :)
          ________
          Babes Cams
          Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 08:04 AM.
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

don't waste your money & change the diff.. this is a common issue with LSD so even the new one might do this noise..

my car had the same noise even the day i picked it up from AGMC (but was very low), then it became more & more noticeable so i decided to let them fix it on warranty before i sold it..

BMW history:

Comment

you can drive with it for a while, this is given that it's shot. if mark @Xervice suggested the diff then you need to do so or else he would've asked you to change the oil. i reckon you change the oil first since it's cheaper to do so and see what results you get. if it doesn't work out wait till you get a used/new one. i think we had a member who had to replace his diff once. anyone know how much waleed had to pay?

Comment

Guys a Very Good news..
                I replaced the Differntial Oil with the one suggested by Wazif:SAF-XJ with FM booster part # 83 222 282 583 , and the Grinding Noise disappeared..
                I am now not hearing any grinding...
                Thank you all..
                Thank you Wazif...
                sigpic

Comment

good stuff.. the oil change did it :)
                  glad to hear that

Comment

Another one for the good guys :)

Comment

Guys a Very Good news..
                      I replaced the Differntial Oil with the one suggested by Wazif:SAF-XJ with FM booster part # 83 222 282 583 , and the Grinding Noise disappeared..
                      Thank you all..
                      Thank you Wazif...
                      thank me now but pay me later :tongue:

so is that guy from x-service new to BMWs or was he trying to close his target early this month?? :thumbsdown:

BMW history:

Comment

Congrats Naseem !
                        I can see we guys seem to be doing well :)

Comment

Guys a Very Good news..
                          Thank you all..
                          Thank you Wazif...
                          Anytime Naseem! glad to be of help! cheers!
                          ________
                          WEED
                          Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 08:06 AM.
                          Current
                          E92 M3 - Mineral White
                          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                          E36 318is
                          E39 540i ///M sport
                          VW CC
                          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Just wanted to share what I missed sharing with you guys.

I had a similar metal rubbing noise coming from the rear left side of my car on any small turns, while going slow. The sound was loud and could be heard from outside too.
                            I remember I asked Ayham, Bashar and Bruno to help me with that noise,after Ayham and Bashar tested my car, all of them suggested me to get my differential oil changed.
                            After changing the differential oil at the dealer, the sound still existed for sometime, I was pissed at it and I simply ignored it. But today out of no where while I was turning my car, I remembered there was a metal rubbing noise that existed, I was shocked when there was no noise and the car was so quiet while turning. The noise vanished and I guess it took sometime for the oil to make that noise quiet, since it must have been really dry.

Just want to thank you :bow: Ayham, Bashar and Bruno, we definetely have got some experts on this Board :bow:

Comment

is the sound audible on turns only or can it be heard while goin str8? my m3 gives off this sound at rear which sounds like the tyres are rubbing against the road....like a flat, but its not a flat. do i need to change the oil as well, i think there is a leak in diff and i showed it to a frend in shj and he says that the tie rod that connects to the diff is rubbing against sumtin.

can sum1 pls clarify!

Comment

Working...
                              X