Bilsteins make me 1/2 happy (till now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilsteins make me 1/2 happy (till now)

I have changed my four shocks with Bilsteins (regular oil ones), and there was a great difference in handling at corners and at speeds..

BUT, I used to feel vibrations from the road that reach the steering wheel while cruising on certain roads (ittihad road some parts and others), and these vibrations are still there..!!!

I have also bought a repair kit for the steering box, and this took off the gap of no response that was there.

I have also changed the "korsy" of the front dampers (at the top), we call them in Egypt "batta7at".

But what is killing me is that the vibrations is still there and I don't what else can it be..?? May be the tie rods, but I don't know if these cause such vibrations..:help:

This makes me 1/2 happy till now, I wish I would solve this soon and become FULLY happy:yippy:
    M 'nM=my initials, charges with :///M:power, even not driving one..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    e36 328i vert, e46 323 ci
    Older rides: colt '95, punto '03, astra coupe '00

batta7at!!!!!! hehehehe
    i am egyptian as well :)
    anyway i donot understand what do u mean by vibrations?
    i guess it might be wheel balancing
    btw
    batta7at or rubber upper mounts might cause noise but not vibrations
    steering box might cause noise and not vibrations
    those r my thoughts and it might be wrong but i see that if u have vibrations it is about dampers ( u already changed them) or wheel balancing
    I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

u r also right about the ball joints in the tie rods also another cause might be control arms bushing
      in brief it is something in the unsprung mass thats why the dampers didn't fix it

Comment

have your rims checked...

Comment

Rims, or tire pressure.
          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

the vibrations from the road that you usually should not feel, or if you feel it it should be the car vibrating, but the issue is that the steering wheel vibrates in my hand too which makes uncomfortable.

It is not the rims or the tire pressure, because it is only on certain roads, it is not a constant feeling

I have already changed the left ball joint with the other parts..!!
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

Comment

does it happen while braking? at what speed does it occur?

Comment

vibration in the steering wheel is mainly wheel balancing
                do u feel this vibration when u apply the brakes?

Comment

i think both of us have the same thought bruno
                  if it happens when braking then it is the brake disc (rotors) with uneven surface

Comment

do you have sharjah spacers installed?

Comment

No spacers..
                      I know all the other feelings, with the brakes and on certain speeds... but this is not like them.

The vibration is not that the steering is vibrating along its circular axle,
                      But the whole steering as an object vibrates in up-down direction

I don't if I am clear..
                      Again not with brakes not at certain speeds, it is not rotors or wheel balancing because I know these how they feel. this is different

Comment

what about steering wheel knuckle joint or steering column bearing they can cause play in the steering wheel

Comment

I don't know these parts..
                          But I guess they are at the steering shaft either up or bottom..??

I don't know if there is a joint or bushing, at the end of steering shaft connecting it to the steering box..

Comment

One on the left, #2 is the universal joint. There should be a rubber bush there. Could be that.
                            If not, remove the 3 screws holding the cover under your steering wheel, take the cover out and try to move/vibrate the steering column directly. If it moves, then you need to tighten up properly.
                            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks Sewersideup, the diagram is very helpful
                              I think I need a professional check on the rubber bush, I think it is the one.

Comment

Working...
                              X