Brake pad sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad sensors

Guys, I know some of your cars come with brake pad sensors and the system warns you if your pads are worn and need to be replaced. Some of you have made the change over to aftermarket pads, and most aftermarket pads do not have these sensors.

a. do you get an warning indicator come up if you use pads without the brake sensor?

b. if so, how do you prevent the warning light from coming up?

2006 Sprint Blue Audi RS4 : photography by lifegauge : Revo flash by TAM

well even after market pads for German Cars have the cable wires (sensors) that detect if the brakes are worn or not! ....
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Not all.

Comment

a. do you get an warning indicator come up if you use pads without the brake sensor?

yes it does.

b. if so, how do you prevent the warning light from coming up?

Buy a BBK that runs with the OEM sensors.

if you ended up buying one that fits the oem sensors then you will need to reprogrammed the triggering system to bypass the sensor. i'm not sure though. As a matter of fact it will be interesting to know how such issues are resolved.

Comment

Hmmmm.... well there is a way around it :)

This sensor is mounted on ur brake pad, and when the pad wears off the sensor is broken and a connection is going to be open.... The open connection would result the brake light on ur dash board.....

What i suggest is, take ur old sensor and cut the very end of it (plastic plug that goes to the pade).
          Ull find two wires (those are connected inside the plastic plug but they are not now). You can connect them manually and tape them down together, or the way i like to do it is find out the current passing throw the two wires (multimeter is ur friend----connecting the multimeter in series) and calculate the resistor value using:

R (resistor) = V (voltage)/I (current) ; voltage should be 12V

Buy that resistor from (popular electronics in deira) and connect the resistor between the two wires :) doing that ull have a safe system (no current over shooting :taser:) and no light on ur dash board........
          sigpic
          iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
          Falcons Garage
          Carbotech

Comment

I never tried that since i do not use aftermarket pads, but talking electrical engineering thats the way to do it :)
            sigpic
            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
            Falcons Garage
            Carbotech

Comment

electrical engineering FTMFW!

BMW history:
              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                electrical engineering FTMFW!
                :iagree: :rofl: :rofl:
                sigpic
                iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                Falcons Garage
                Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post
                  Hmmmm.... well there is a way around it :)

This sensor is mounted on ur brake pad, and when the pad wears off the sensor is broken and a connection is going to be open.... The open connection would result the brake light on ur dash board.....

What i suggest is, take ur old sensor and cut the very end of it (plastic plug that goes to the pade).
                  Ull find two wires (those are connected inside the plastic plug but they are not now). You can connect them manually and tape them down together, or the way i like to do it is find out the current passing throw the two wires (multimeter is ur friend----connecting the multimeter in series) and calculate the resistor value using:

R (resistor) = V (voltage)/I (current) ; voltage should be 12V

Buy that resistor from (popular electronics in deira) and connect the resistor between the two wires :) doing that ull have a safe system (no current over shooting :taser:) and no light on ur dash board........
                  I've been told that it's just a simple matter of closing the circuit, but never understood that the wearing if the pads breaks the connectors. From your post, I think I understand how it works now, and will speak with X Service Centre about the installation next week :D

Comment

Working...
                  X