Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get normal tyres if I can't hold a spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get normal tyres if I can't hold a spare?

I've been thinking about this for a while even though it's still very early for me to change tyres,,,

I've noticed that my tyres don't have a lot of grip as I was hoping they would have while tracking and cornering... I met someone who mention that it's because they're run-flat tyres, and that if I get normal tyres I would not only get much better grip but also better comfort among other things

The problem is that my car can't hold a spare (BMW F36 435i Gran Coupe).. so it would be kinda worrying if something happened on the road and I'd be stuck not being able to drive anywhere.

What's your opinion on this? Is it THAT worth it to switch to normal tyres? Are run-flat tyres actually useless in reality?

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty new to cars in general, so go easy on me!

Runflats are horrible.

Buy a mobility kit so you don't need to worry about the spare tyre.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I agree with Hasan, get normal tyres and a mobility kit. The runflats are more expensive to replace too.
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

where can we fing the mobility kit, agmc told me they don't stock it for 6 series?

Comment

I agree also, get normal tyres and a mobility kit. I had 22" run flats on my 300C, but an awkward puncture and being miles in the wrong direction meant I couldn't possibly have driven to a tyre place. Luckily I had the original mobility kit (tyre inflator with can of gum) still in the car which allowed me to inflate the run flat and drive home and order a replacement 22" tyre for my local to fit. The tyre held normal pressure for days until the replacement tyre arrived. The idea of a run flat is great, but personally I feel they are more hassle than normal tyres.

I have recently changed from run flats to normal tyres on my F02 and the ride is quieter and more comfortable. I purchased a kit from ACE Hardware and have that stored in the boot in case I have a flat.

I assume the mobility kit is just the same electric inflator with a can of gum, but never seen an official BMW one.

Comment

thank you. this is good idea. i was referring to another type of kit that includes a space saver tyre with jack and wheel spanner, that fits in the boot.

Comment

+1 to what propus said....the mobility kit is available in Ace hardware. Not sure if its tyre specific, i would assume not.
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
              X