• Show
Clear All

• SSense
    replied
    Never heard of anyone who has done it until now :dunno:

Leave a comment:

• Sahmed
    replied
    Ok.. has anyone on this forum done this conversion?

Leave a comment:

• SewerSideUp
    replied
    I don't think they would have affects such as limp mode if the DSC goes mad. Youre not changing the tire diameter at all so there should be no problem, in theory. Check somone who's done it with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• Ayham
    replied
    I've come across some bulletins regarding such conversion...RFT cars have their sensors parameters feeding into the DSC, steering position, and ABS set differently from non-RFT cars. However, I've seen people online who have switched with no problems to report. I can take more time into this to research it, but atm am stuck in the office..

Leave a comment:

• Sahmed
    replied
    Has anyone in here done a run-flat to go-flat conversion?

I am thinking of selling off my current run-flats (pretty new) and going for normal summer performance tires... can anyone help me out with advice/tips/pointers?

Leave a comment:

• Sahmed
    replied
    *Edited: Repetition of threads*

Anyone in here got an E90 converted to normal tires?

My main concern is whether the 'RFT-tuned' suspension would work with normal tires and if I can mount normal tires on my current rims.

Leave a comment:

• Ayham
    replied
    Mobility kit is expensive, economies of scale tell us it's not profitable for BMW AG to equip cars with this kit. A spare tire is cheaper.

As for dealers and BMW itself equipping their cars with RFTs:

1) It's a learning curve
    2) Even with the complaints, you will always have people who are not deep into cars so RFTs or none, there's no difference to them. Manufacturers will still equip cars with RFTs for at least a decade to come.

Leave a comment:

• SSense
    replied
    Thanks for correcting me there mates, i always used to think M Mobility is used only for RFTs, didnt know it was meant to be used for regular tires as well..

Can someone please tell me, if there are so many down sides of RFTs, why did the dealers or our cars come with RFTs ?? If M Mobility kit can be used on regular tires as well and when we dont need the spare tire in presence of the M Mobility, why couldnt they just install the Regular tires ??

Ayham, Rami, anyone ?

Leave a comment:

• Ayham
    replied
    Originally posted by SSense View Post
    As far as i know, the E39 M5s have come only with RFTs, lets say my car did come with the regular tires atleast there should be space for the spare tire, there's hardly space in the trunk for any spare tire to be equipped. All the space is taken by the huge battery..
    Even with regular tires, M cars don't have a spare tire space. They've replaced it with the mobility kit.

M cars DO NOT come with RFTs.

Leave a comment:

• SSense
    replied
    Originally posted by faisal View Post
    You mean RFT??? already!!! :rolleyes:
    I guess they'll come up something new to replace the RFTs..

Leave a comment:

• SSense
    replied
    Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
    If your car is an M and has RFT, then it was either installed afterwards by the dealer, or by the previous owner (if it was bought second hand). I've noticed this on my previous car (E46 330i) which I bought brand new from the dealer (even though I had a spare wheel in the trunk). The car was never designed to run on RFT in the first place, and when I changed to PS2 it was night and day difference in comfort and handling
    As far as i know, the E39 M5s have come only with RFTs, lets say my car did come with the regular tires atleast there should be space for the spare tire, there's hardly space in the trunk for any spare tire to be equipped. All the space is taken by the huge battery..

Leave a comment:

• faisal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ayham View Post
    They are being discontinued....I wish I could add more, but we'll have to wait and see ;)
    You mean RFT??? already!!! :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Ayham
    replied
    They are being discontinued....I wish I could add more, but we'll have to wait and see ;)

Leave a comment:

• petrolhead
    replied
    First of all no M car came with RFT from the factory... That is why you get the M Mobility kit or a spare wheel (which I have on my M5). I don't think RFT are suppose to use the flat tyre foam to seal the hole, if you had a puncture.

If your car is an M and has RFT, then it was either installed afterwards by the dealer, or by the previous owner (if it was bought second hand). I've noticed this on my previous car (E46 330i) which I bought brand new from the dealer (even though I had a spare wheel in the trunk). The car was never designed to run on RFT in the first place, and when I changed to PS2 it was night and day difference in comfort and handling

Newer cars (in general) now are being designed to run on RFTs, so their suspensions are designed to handle the "harder" characteristics of RFT and have a more comfortable ride. Also RFT technology has improved since their first incarnation... but still they aren't as good as regular tyres in terms of handling and performance

Leave a comment:

• SSense
    replied
    Originally posted by Ayham View Post
    BTW, there's a new RFT technology that's already under final field testing stages, it eliminates the need for steel side walls while retaining the desired handling/comfort characteristics.
    Sounds interesting Ayham, need more info on that bro as to how long will that take to be produced, etc..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X