X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing the hp of E36 328i

salam brothers

i am new here and i would like to have so advices it will be under 2 topics
    1 what to buy (i am lexus owner dont have bmw yet)
    2 how to increase performance

1 i was thinking to buy m3 95 or 98 & after asking some ppl seems hard to find parts & some 1 work at so i think 328i is better as second choice from part side & maintenance work

2 if i got 328 i was thinking to increase HP by (change exhaust system, programing, air intake (but dust problem over here) if i change camshaft not sure
    also change transmission from Auto to Manual if possible & how much it will cost to change it & what exactly shall i change with it

Depends if you care about having the "M3" badge on your car or not. The 328 and M3 are essentially the same platform and if it were me, I would save the money I would spend on an M3 and get a 328 and build it the way I want. (hmm I think I have done this before....)

Anyways, if you want something fast and fun here is what I recommend for your 328. You can even get a 325 and do these same mods however if you swap in S52 cams you need the trays as well.

3:91 LSD from an auto, M3 cams, LTW flywheel, M50 intake manifold, CAI, Exhaust, Shifter and some suspension mods and you will be laughing!

To swap to a manual from auto is not that difficult. I have done the swap myself. Not sure how much someone would charge you here tho. If it were me, I would be buying a manual to begin with and swap out the Diff :)

Comment

i agree with in famous but not in 325 at all ,, 328 (Y) and try to get it 96+ ,, regarding the cost i dont have any idea but once i notice the remaping cost 1900 DHS air filter 1500 exhust system depends if u will have cut back only or full one also arround 2500+

for the swaping the gear cost you arround 1800 but in abu dhabi its hard to find full kit gear swap so sharjah ppls will support you well and there is 2 kind of gears one of them is the best it called ZF OR ZR ? i douno actually

by searching
      sigpic
      • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
      and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by deepocean2009 View Post
        i agree with in famous but not in 325 at all ,, 328 (Y) and try to get it 96+ ,, regarding the cost i dont have any idea but once i notice the remaping cost 1900 DHS air filter 1500 exhust system depends if u will have cut back only or full one also arround 2500+

for the swaping the gear cost you arround 1800 but in abu dhabi its hard to find full kit gear swap so sharjah ppls will support you well and there is 2 kind of gears one of them is the best it called ZF OR ZR ? i douno actually

by searching
        325 OBDI is much easier to tune on a budget and the cost savings are there as well. He also mentioned purchasing a 95 M3 which is also OBDI therefore why I mentioned this as an option!

Looks like the OP is on a budget so the cost savings for mods would be in his favor.

Comment

Am not into modifications as much as u r man I saw all ur projects its amazing you know better for sure but am saying from my experience in own 328 manual obd11
          sigpic
          • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by deepocean2009 View Post
            Am not into modifications as much as u r man I saw all ur projects its amazing you know better for sure but am saying from my experience in own 328 manual obd11
            No worries man! 328 is definitely the way to go IMO, just an option for the OP.

Also, if for some reason you get an m50, use the headers from an m52 (you will already have the better intake manifold in this case). Cheap upgrade!

Comment

Man 328 97 I guess the engine m52 right? So it shoul equipped with headers correct me if am wrong pls
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, OBD1 has more of an "exhaust manifold" compared to a header and does not flow as well. This is why most will install those from OBDII cars such as yours :)

Comment

thanks INFAMOUS and deepocean2009

bro deepocean2009 i read your topic (any idea for more HP ? E36 ) but sadly i dont get much information of
                  also id like to have 328 manual how is it with you from your exp

bro INFAMOUS thanks a lot for the information's it is nice of you

first what do u advice me to purchase 328 (which i think is better from performance side) or 325 i found 328

http://tnydu.biz/DOglBY
                  hopefully i will go to see it this weekend

i am not that much on modification sadly i look in the internet for what you wrote but can you help by butting more description so when i look in garage i know what exactly i ask for for example

LSD you said from an Auto (like what)

M3 cams i was to by 1 from here because i think m3 hard to find over here

LTW flywheel (is there a specific brand)

M50 intake manifold (all same size 520 or 525 yes?)

CAI do you mean cool air intake? if yes i would do that but here the weather not much helpful for such thing but will see

Exhaust ( i think will do full system or at least with tout headers to avoid fines)

Shifter what do u suggest

manual gear hope i can do that but dont know if i can find full kit or i shall by it from out side

i saw this 1 it is very nice
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2095580/1998-bmw-3-series

thanks again and sorry for much talking but i am not much with bmw also till now

Comment

bro INFAMOUS i would like to you one friend of my told me a frind of has 318 car i think 92 model i think we can get it for low price what do u think if i take it & rebuild it with 328 engine & i look for manual gear but i dont know about the computer of the car is there deference
                    other wise will look into silver 1 98 i post

Comment

Originally posted by traveler_w55 View Post
                      thanks INFAMOUS and deepocean2009

bro deepocean2009 i read your topic (any idea for more HP ? E36 ) but sadly i dont get much information of
                      also id like to have 328 manual how is it with you from your exp

bro INFAMOUS thanks a lot for the information's it is nice of you

first what do u advice me to purchase 328 (which i think is better from performance side) or 325 i found 328

http://tnydu.biz/DOglBY
                      hopefully i will go to see it this weekend

i am not that much on modification sadly i look in the internet for what you wrote but can you help by butting more description so when i look in garage i know what exactly i ask for for example

LSD you said from an Auto (like what)

Limited Slip Differential.. The 3:91 ratio only came in the Automatic BMW's so they are harder to find esp. LSD Most of them are "open diff" which means only one wheel spins. LSD= both wheels spin. The other option is finding a diff from an M3 which has decent gear ratio's but not as high.

M3 cams i was to by 1 from here because i think m3 hard to find over here

Yes M3 cams can be hard to find. bimmerforums.com would be a good place to find some.

LTW flywheel (is there a specific brand)

UUC is very popular also Turner Motorsports uses JB Racing I believe.

M50 intake manifold (all same size 520 or 525 yes?)

You would want from from an M50 engine... they are all the same.

CAI do you mean cool air intake? if yes i would do that but here the weather not much helpful for such thing but will see

Jim Conforti makes a very nice CAI any filter that will flow better over factory is better. Stay away from cheap Metal CAI kits as the metal will only absorb more heat!

Exhaust ( i think will do full system or at least with tout headers to avoid fines)

Yes any catback will help.. Supersprint, ACS, Dinan, or get one custom made as really the muffler is the limiting factor on air restriction.

Shifter what do u suggest

UUC is my favorite, again many options. Stay away from eBay!

manual gear hope i can do that but dont know if i can find full kit or i shall by it from out side

i saw this 1 it is very nice
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2095580/1998-bmw-3-series

thanks again and sorry for much talking but i am not much with bmw also till now
                      Originally posted by traveler_w55 View Post
                      bro INFAMOUS i would like to you one friend of my told me a frind of has 318 car i think 92 model i think we can get it for low price what do u think if i take it & rebuild it with 328 engine & i look for manual gear but i dont know about the computer of the car is there deference
                      other wise will look into silver 1 98 i post
                      I would stick with the 98! A 318 can be converted etc etc, but unless you have experience and lots of resources to parts cheap you will end up spending too much money to convert it to what you want! Unless you had a donor car sitting beside it to swap all the parts from.

Comment

I see Chris has chimed in with a lot....I agree that an M50 is a better engine in terms of drive pleasure, more of a screamer compared to the torquier M52. I have done some work along these lines back in college on my 325i. UUC EVOIII shifter, H&R Cup Kit (big mistake, I'd go Eibach + Bilsteins), and a very good alignment setup and BAM! Never felt I needed more really.

Keep it simple. Work on your driving and that's it. :)

Comment

thanks alot guys
                          i did some calculations for the hall things it will cost around 25000 (new parts from outside) which is high price please some 1 correct me if i am wrong

if any 1 can help how much it will cost for everything because wish bro Ayham give advice on this

i can buy M3 95 or 98 with this cost do you advice to go for M3 or no & why , my friends didnt advice to as i said before & some said go for Mustang 2004 GT did any 1 try it

thanks alot all & sorry for talking much
                          Last edited by traveler_w55; 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

You want a fast car, buy a fast car... :)

My setup cost me around 8000dhs in 2005. But I wouldn't spend more than that on the 325i, I knew its limits.

Comment

i would take a nissan tiida over a mustang

Comment

Working...
                              X