Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air intake filter?

Hello guys,

Anyone has any idea about a website where i can order and ship an air intake filter for my 130i?

Do u recommend any brand?
    is there a difference between what is called :cold air intake, and a regular K&N filter??

Check this out

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/1-Se...229/index.html
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by -v- View Post
      Hello guys,

Anyone has any idea about a website where i can order and ship an air intake filter for my 130i?

Do u recommend any brand?
      is there a difference between what is called :cold air intake, and a regular K&N filter??
      A "drop-in" panel filter (K&N filter) replaces you OE filter, and

Cold Air Intake (CAI) is normally situated away from and below the engine bay i.e. behind front bumper etc (replaces the OE box) and allows you to suck in cooler air rather than the air in the engine bay. CAI's are not a good idea in areas where it rains a lot, due to the filter being closer to the ground, if it sucks in water, you will get "hydro-lock" (water in the engine) and bye-bye engine.

Panel filters will give you 2-3bhp, whereas CAI will give you anywhere between 5-10bhp extra (No, i do not have dyno sheets to proove it, just based on what I have read over the years).

During winter here, I believe that CAI's are very good, however for summer months, stick to the OE box
      1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
      2012 Camaro SS
      2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
      2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Originally posted by yorky500 View Post
        A "drop-in" panel filter (K&N filter) replaces you OE filter, and

Cold Air Intake (CAI) is normally situated away from and below the engine bay i.e. behind front bumper etc (replaces the OE box) and allows you to suck in cooler air rather than the air in the engine bay. CAI's are not a good idea in areas where it rains a lot, due to the filter being closer to the ground, if it sucks in water, you will get "hydro-lock" (water in the engine) and bye-bye engine.

Panel filters will give you 2-3bhp, whereas CAI will give you anywhere between 5-10bhp extra (No, i do not have dyno sheets to proove it, just based on what I have read over the years).

During winter here, I believe that CAI's are very good, however for summer months, stick to the OE box
        Does the Panel filters change the engines noise and make it louder like the cold intake does ??
        335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
        White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by mn07 View Post
          Does the Panel filters change the engines noise and make it louder like the cold intake does ??
          The drop in filetrs will not make the car louder.

In any case, if you want to enhance the sound of the car, get an exhaust.

The intake is for a different purpose.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, but only on WOT - get a brief but deeper "sucking" sound, but thats it. if you have your music on, you will not hear it.

As said above, get an exhaust/headers and you then hear the difference.
            1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
            2012 Camaro SS
            2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
            2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
              The drop in filetrs will not make the car louder.

In any case, if you want to enhance the sound of the car, get an exhaust.

The intake is for a different purpose.
              Originally posted by yorky500 View Post
              Yes, but only on WOT - get a brief but deeper "sucking" sound, but thats it. if you have your music on, you will not hear it.

As said above, get an exhaust/headers and you then hear the difference.

I already have a exhaust system on my BMW.
              Look bro before i had a nissan maxima and i did this to my dad land cruiser as well. I installed a cold air intake. The engine nosie became louder then before (yes not by much but louder then stock.) What i meant was does Panel filters make the engines noise louder like the cold air intake?
              Or panel filters makes no difference in noise??
              Last edited by mn07; 30-03-2011, 04:04 PM.
              335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
              White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

What i meant was does Panel filters make the engines noise louder like the cold air intake?
                Or panel filters makes no difference in noise??

Drop in filters will not enhance the sound in any way.
                sigpic

Comment

The answer is a big NO.

Drop in filters will not enhance the sound in any way.
                  Then why would anyone put Panel filters for only 2-3hp ,risk water and sand going to there engine??
                  I was think of putting one. Now it makes no sense.
                  Last edited by mn07; 30-03-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Then why would anyone put Panel filters for only 2-3hp and risk water and sand going to there engine??
                    I was think of putting one. Now it makes no sense.
                    And who told you that.

Drop in filters are used because they make use of the OEM air box and protect against water and sand.
                    sigpic

Comment

And who told you that.

Drop in filters are used because they make use of the OEM air box and protect against water and sand.
                      :logic: ok i stand corrected but still they do give you like around only 2-3 Hp right??
                      So it still makes no sense . If you want to increase air flow and gain performence go for cold intake which your car gains 5-10 Hp you get better and louder noise.
                      Last edited by mn07; 30-03-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

:logic: ok i stand corrected but they do give you like around 2-3 Hp right??
                        So it still makes no sense . If you want to increase air flow and gain 5-10 Hp go for a cold air intake because you get better and louder nosie.
                        My friend. The aftermarket drop in filters are cheaper than OEM. In addition, they can be cleaned and lubricated and reused, unlike OEM.

5 HP is likely from a cold intake. 10 HP not so likely. In addition, you shall not feel the 10 HP increase on your bottometer.

As for the sound, you need an exhaust for that.
                        sigpic

Comment

By the way, your 335i is FIed, so it will probably not benefit from the CAI kit.

I think the biggest gain you can get in HP will come form the following:

1. ECU Tune
                          2. Downpipes
                          3. Exhaust
                          sigpic

Comment

My friend. The aftermarket drop in filters are cheaper than OEM. In addition, they can be cleaned and lubricated and reused, unlike OEM.

5 HP is likely from a cold intake. 10 HP not so likely. In addition, you shall not feel the 10 HP increase on your bottometer.

As for the sound, you need an exhaust for that.
                            :iagree: with you but I had cold air intakes on two different cars. The do make your ENGINE sound better and louder than STOCK. Yes most people will not hear the difference and yes it won't become loud enough to turn any heads. For that you need a exhaust system.and yes you need to turn of the music.
                            What i am trying to say is it make a small difference it hard to notice. If you stand in front of the car you could tell that its not stock.
                            My question was this Does the panel filter change the noise like the cold air intake even if its by a very little and you said no.
                            Last edited by mn07; 30-03-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

By the way, your 335i is FIed, so it will probably not benefit from the CAI kit.

I think the biggest gain you can get in HP will come form the following:

1. ECU Tune
                              2. Downpipes
                              3. Exhaust
                              What do you mean by "your 335i is FIed"

I have changed my exhaust system already.
                              I'm looking for ECU might go for JB4.
                              Last edited by mn07; 30-03-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X