The Ultimate Oil Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate Oil Thread.

Now I have been reading a lot of forums regarding oils and what brand to use. There are many opinions and speculations going on in the these forums that still left me undecided. I have been using the OEM 5W-40 ever since I got the car but the previous owner has been using Mobil1 0W-40. Also, the oil to be used is heavily dependent on the climate. So my question is: Which is the best oil to use in the UAE climate for non-M's?
    (M-owners have it easy, just use castrol edge sport 10W-60 and you're all good :P)

Past Ride: E39 530i
    Current Ride: E46 330i Hartge
    Mods: Matt Black Front Grille | Hartge ECU Chip Tuning | Smoked Rear lights | M3 front bumper | M-Tech rear spoiler | Stett performance headers | Rear M-tech 1 bumper

Before we see the replies here based on individual experiences and thoughts, I figured it's better we lay down some scientific facts first. These should be the basis for your comparos.

Q: 10W60. What does it mean?

A: 10 is the oil grade at 0C (or cold temperatures). 60 is the oil grade at 100C (Operating temperature).

Q: Which is thicker and which is thinner?

A: The lower oil grade is thinner than the higher one. That is, a lower oil grade is less resistant to flow compared to a higher grade oil. That is, it is more viscous compared to a higher grade oil. Example? 20W50 is less viscous/flows harder than 10W60 at cold temperatures (20 > 10), and vice versa at 100C (50 < 60).

Q: When to use a certain grade of oil?

A: In cold weathers, lower grade oils are used to facilitate cold start lubrication. As the engine temperature builds up, the oil becomes thicker, courtesy of Viscosity Improvers (IV) added to the oil that would allow the oil to be of the 10 oil grade at cold start and thicken to no more than the indicated 60 oil grade at 100C.

Hopefully this will keep your posts in check....Fire away.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but oils thin out as they get hotter which eventually leads to a loss of oil pressure in the engine when it gets too hot. Mineral oils ofcourse, not synthetic.
      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Synthetic oils have polymers engineered to "clog" as the temperature increases. This provides the enough protection needed for the engine at higher operating temps.

Comment

I would suggest a 10W-40 for non ///M cars.

If you feel that the engine is running too light towards the end of the oil life you might want to go with 10W-50.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

thank you Ayham for the clarification
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Hmmm... Well, 10w-40 is under what brand name?
              Also, I read many threads of people sticking to a brand called royal purple which seems to be unavailable here. Also a long life list of oils are recommend by BMW in 2001. Those include mobile1 0w-40 and other castrol oil. People have said that mobil1 can produce something called vanos rattle or something (not sure what that meant). Comments?? :D

Past Ride: E39 530i
              Current Ride: E46 330i Hartge
              Mods: Matt Black Front Grille | Hartge ECU Chip Tuning | Smoked Rear lights | M3 front bumper | M-Tech rear spoiler | Stett performance headers | Rear M-tech 1 bumper

Comment

VANOS rattle is caused by weary O-rings and seals...

For BMW I'd stick with Castrol or Mobil..Some race teams would go for Valvoline and Liqui Moly, but racing conditions are nothing to compare daily driving conditions to.

Comment

+1 to Ayham.

I would also prefer Castrol. Almost all grades should be avaiable with them.
                  sigpic

Comment

What I know that it should be synth. oil first, then look for the grade.

But what is better grade for hot days like these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxi View Post
                      What I know that it should be synth. oil first, then look for the grade.

But what is better grade for hot days like these days?
                      There are oil grades such as 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, etc.. Go for anything higher than 5W.. 5W is suitable for cold places, here mostly we use 10W..

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                        There are oil grades such as 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, etc.. Go for anything higher than 5W.. 5W is suitable for cold places, here mostly we use 10W..
                        If I am not mitsaken, thats the cold temp rating Ali is referring to.

For hot climates 10W-40 or 10W-50 is good.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                          If I am not mitsaken, thats the cold temp rating Ali is referring to.

For hot climates 10W-40 or 10W-50 is good.
                          Thats what I said, go for anything higher than 5W..

Originally posted by SSense View Post

Comment

Ok!

My mistake sorry. :runaway:

:sorry:
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X