First customer BMW 335xi turbo upgrade in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First customer BMW 335xi turbo upgrade in progress

Those of you that are into modding, tuning and car experiments, you will come to appreciate this article. Jonah, a reader of our online magazine, has decided to upgrade the turbos in his 335xi.

“My car (08′ 335xi) is currently under the knife having the first set of TiAL Sport upgraded turbos installed. I will essentially be the first “customer” car with upgraded turbos who is actually vocal and talks about what is going on (compared to say the ASR upgrade which supposedly has sold 10 times but no one has ever mentioned a word about them). The upgrade consists of a custom compressor and clipped turbine.

Here are the results from my initial test day. Remember this is an AWD Mustang Dyno, so the numbers are smaller than most people are used to seeing.

For comparable numbers to a typical dynojet, add 12% to what you see here. Everything you see here was done on Shell 93 octane pump gas.

Take note: The baseline you see on this graph is roughly ~20whp more than what would have been observed had I not had a completely catless exhaust + upgraded FMIC + intakes.
    Peak gains: 40awhp/50awtq on pump gas alone

Baseline (w/ catless exhaust/fmic/intakes): 256awhp / 289awtq
    Stage 3+ Stock turbos: 345awhp / 392awtq
    Upgraded turbos: 386awhp / 443awtq

Source: bmwblog

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

I was just talking to Bimmer Autoworks' Ebrahim on how strange it is not having heard of any N54 engine having its turbos upgraded, let alone a single turbo set up.

The graphs are great, and these Tial units are on the "small" side of boost. I don't think the engine is built for higher boost. Think of these on a manual 135i :drool:

Comment

The second graph is from vishnu dala log software , you can see the boost reachs almost 20PSI , thats only can be done with vishnu at the moment, non of other tuners are able to manage the walk around to allow the DME to reach 19+ PSI ..

the guys did an amazing job in this peice of art .. one of the best compenies in US for turbo upgrades in US is ASR , they do turbo upgrade for 911's and R35's ,,, they have done 135I with the help of vishnu , the car reachs 530 WHP ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y0KxOkJcjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRgN...eature=related

so guys , get ready for the new M power cars with turbo's ... :)

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

How can you rule out it's somebody else other than Vishnu just because the graph/set up reached 20psi? Untill proven otherwise, we can't rule out that possibility imo :)

The more doing this, the better it is to end users..

Comment

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377571

this is the original post posted on e90post.com / i don't know where bmwblog brings their info from . but the car is not AWD and also if you go through the post and read everything reply ..no one is happy with the results as it's too low comparing to the mods the guy has on his car ... even the owner himself is having some issues after the turbo upgrades

-------------------------------------------------

this post is from the tech who works in ASR engineering , not sure if u can see the pictures if you don't have account on e90post.com .. but they claims 550WHP on their 135I which i posted the youtube video in my previous reply ..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sr+engineering

, anyway the graph screenshot is from vishun software itself and the software doesn't work without the vishnu computer ...

proving that only vishnu handles the tune for the upgraded turbo's , i will end up posting like 4 pages for that .. but looking at the links above .. you can tell that there is only vishnu ... even the guys in UK and Europe gets only vishnu for the turbo upgrades , because of it's ability to change the tune in matter of few mouse clicks ...

but thank you Ayham for your point ,, offcourse it's end user decision , and by the way I'm not promoting vishnu here as I'm not a seller and i don't get any commission for that anyway .. but it's just a point of view ..

Comment

lol, naaah man you're not promoting anything :) That wasn't the point at all...

Why is it that only Vishnu is used with upgraded turbos? I guess cuz the conversions scale is still at its minimum (a dozen cars worldwide probably), so it still doesn't make financial sense for the big boys to venture into R&D yet (AA, HPF, etc)? Especially that BMW applied the extended warranty programme with its new models, so only few cars are out of warranty and fewer drivers would be looking for a turbo upgrade.

So that's my point, until now and according to the above links (which were missing the your previous post) Vishnu is more or less the sole player. But I refuse to believe that only one company is able of doing this kind of "standard-by-now" work :)

My $0.2

Comment

the main reason Vishnu is most famous tune to be used specially with the upgraded turbo is because it has the ability to communicate with the ECU and it can can change figures in fraction of a second to keep the ECU happy and the engine to be healthy running ( CANBUS feature ) ..

Reaching 20+ PSI boost target without a stand alone computer or ECu Re flash to communicate with the ECU and give him some bribe , the ECU will get crazy and immediately enable LIMP mode , and as you said , because upgrading the turbo is still something new , the other companies ECU flash , they are now started developing and enhancing their softwares to handle such an upgrade .. but it's as simple as piece of cake to vishnu guys to adjust their programming software to handle it easily ..

http://www.vishnutuning.com/RevIICAN.htm , check the comparison

AA - HPF etc : AA has their own tune and performance accessories but the tune is limited in performance same as juice box. - HPF : they started already but they are developing the turbo accessories as of now , they are the first company to design the FMIC ( front mount inter cooler ) to use the OEM piping and clips , rather than cutting and using the silicone hose like other brands .. they are working on some stages for the N54 but still no official release yet as of now ...

being 335I driver , i spend almost 2 hours a day at least reading about mods - upgrades and DIY stuff ... and this is what i did when i had another models of cars ..;) ..

reading is treasure as other people says ...

anyways , this thread took a totally different direction of discussion and sorry for being off topic ..

Comment

OFF topic indeed, but loads of info! ;)
                thnx Ehssan,but i still agree with Ayham that in the near future a lot of companies will be able to push turbos upgrade and ECU readings to wat Vishnu has done yet...its just a matter of time and warranty;as the number of cars goin for turbos upgrade is very low,big companies dont wanna invest money and time on that for the time being becoz the demand is still on the low side but by the time cars start gettin out of warranty things will most probably change...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X