330i Catback Exhaust Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

330i Catback Exhaust Pics

The day before our Hajar Mountain Drive i picked up my car from Gulf Exhausts and they installed a catback system for only AED 3,000. They made the system a single pipe compared to the stock two pipe design and then they put a resonator in the middle and finally the muffler.

It sounds exactly as stock only about 40-50% louder. I can feel a very slight performance gain in the rev range of 3k-4k and maybe a very slight decrease of performance in anything below that.

In the end i would say it was worth it cause i was looking for an exhaust that kept the sweet sound but was louder than stock. It also cost AED 2,500 cheaper than what Fox wanted to charge me.

The pictures:
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Congratulations and thanks for sharing! I might get use of your experience with this new system as I am thinking to get louder sound than the one I have. But can I know why they made it one pipe? How this will increase the performance?
    By the way you were driving with Abu Dhabi members back to AD right?

Comment

i'm not a big fan of the sigle tube tbh... if i were you i would've went with something like this...

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...00-p-7208.html

Comment

post a video btw, wouyld love to hear how it sounds

Comment

Originally posted by Bisho View Post
          Congratulations and thanks for sharing! I might get use of your experience with this new system as I am thinking to get louder sound than the one I have. But can I know why they made it one pipe? How this will increase the performance?
          By the way you were driving with Abu Dhabi members back to AD right?
          They decided to make it one pipe because if the catalytic converters and resonators are removed, the loss of back pressure will result in a loss of power, so i guess thats why they made it one pipe (bigger diameter than stock) and put in a resonator to remove the rasp our BMW's have between 3k rpm- 4k rpm.

Yeah i did, u were with me till the jumeirah exit right? How did the exhaust sound?

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
          i'm not a big fan of the sigle tube tbh... if i were you i would've went with something like this...

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...00-p-7208.html
          To be honest i lost all trust in online ordering so I'll prefer not to go with options that have to be ordered after the headers i got before.

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
          post a video btw, wouyld love to hear how it sounds
          I will try to get some and post them up :)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M2002 View Post
            They decided to make it one pipe because if the catalytic converters and resonators are removed, the loss of back pressure will result in a loss of power, so i guess thats why they made it one pipe (bigger diameter than stock) and put in a resonator to remove the rasp our BMW's have between 3k rpm- 4k rpm.

Yeah i did, u were with me till the jumeirah exit right? How did the exhaust sound?
            Thanks for the info. Actually I was closing the sun roof and all windows, and due to traffic couldn't hear well, but nsha Allah next events will hear it. Man I though you were going to Abu Dhabi that's why I didn't look to any board while following you hahaha, I went behind you to Jumaira exit then I noticed you are going to Dubai and I am in wrong way, lol, I changed the route to AD through Emirates road :D

Comment

M2002, did he measure both pipes diameters and created one pipe with both diameters added up?

Comment

Obviously from the 1st pic that the single pipe diameter is smaller than the diameter of both pipes!

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                  M2002, did he measure both pipes diameters and created one pipe with both diameters added up?
                  Thats exactly what i asked the mechanic. He said that the diameter of the single pipe is 2 1/2 inch compared to the stock pipe which is 2 inches. He said this was done for the sake of keeping some back pressure otherwise i would lose torque.

Originally posted by eoudeh View Post
                  Obviously from the 1st pic that the single pipe diameter is smaller than the diameter of both pipes!
                  True
                  sigpic

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

I don't think I'm too sure about this approach. Exhaust diameter is essential in determining how quickly your exhaust is expelled (quick RPMs) and how much back pressure it retains (torque). It's not as simple is increasing or decreasing a stock exhaust pipes diameters. There has to be a lot of CFD analysis to determine the best compromise.

Comment

Okay, I am thoroughly confused...so the best approach is?

Past Ride: E39 530i
                      Current Ride: E46 330i Hartge
                      Mods: Matt Black Front Grille | Hartge ECU Chip Tuning | Smoked Rear lights | M3 front bumper | M-Tech rear spoiler | Stett performance headers | Rear M-tech 1 bumper

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

I would love to put the car on a dyno and compare it stock graph. We are cooking a dyno day for you guys, more on this later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

I would love to put the car on a dyno and compare it stock graph. We are cooking a dyno day for you guys, more on this later.
                          That would be great cause i also want to dyno my car before and after i chip it.
                          sigpic

Comment

you'd need a 2.8" single pipe to be equivalent to 2 x 2" pipes (area is proportional to diameter square)

BMW history:
                            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                            X