Turning my M3 into a Track Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lutfy View Post
    Should be ready and track worthy by end of the week all aligned and all. Where ma fluids boy?

Next month, manual conversion complete.

BTW stock brakes on these cars are quite capable with pads and ducting. However you need to master it by braking like a midget **** star: short and hard.
    Hahaha, word brother!!

I'm staying late at work tonight and then heading out for a business meeting. Tomorrow I'm supposedly free, don't worry I'll fetch your supplies! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfy View Post
      Having owned 6 of these including 2 front running race cars, here is what I did/am doing to mine and suggest you get the maint out of the way:

1) Front control arms (the ball joints fail and when they do, they produce some FANTASTIC results). Installed Powerflex bushings with it. Reinforced the front subframe with Bimmerworld kit.
      2) Installed new tie rod assembly and swaybar end link.
      3) Stock front and rear new rotors with Bimmerworld Solid Guide pins and brake ducting. Running Performance Friction 06 for the track, stock Jurid for the steet. Motul 600 flush and am done with the brakes.
      4) Fresh fluids in diff, tranny, motor, with no coolant (Water wetter and water) with Motorsport 80 degree thermostat and Bimmerworld Oil Cooler diverter valve. Cooling system, complete.
      5) Engine, new plugs, fuel filter and stock paper air filter. This region sucks for intakes and you will find tons of crud getting in the motor. DON’T do an intake. Don’t expect much power out of exhaust, the factory unit is solid. I am keeping my motor stock for reliability.
      6) If you are going to spend any money, suspension is it. I got a custom Bimmerworld JRZ (equivalent to Motons as they branched off of the same company) RS double adjustable race setup (comes with springs, camber/caster plates). New Trailing arm bushings, rear subframe bushings and am DONE. Nothing fancy, stock swaybars.
      7) Short shifter, go with Rogue Engineering or UUC (I know both Ben Liaw (met him a few times) and Arjun Sounderarjan (very well) and both are excellent products). I went with RE (to be installed during manual from SMG conversion).
      8) I am running 17*9 inch wide wheels with 255/17s semi slicks (fenders to be rolled).

Am taking out the interior (junk in the trunk, rear seats, lighter front seats). Expecting to drop 200lbs from the car at this point with further reduction coming soon.

If you are going to be spending money anywhere and have a budget of 20K I would spend it on suspension. I can vouch for a stock US 240hp M3 with just JRZs and used Toyo RA1 tires, race pads dance around modded Evos/STis at the track running 2:12s at Virginia International Raceway. To give you an idea an E36 328i driven by Dave White runs 1:36 at Road ATL same time as a 500hp race STis (www.shimmysideways.com).

Lutfy
      When do we test this beast? we need to take it on an open track day and compare lines and exit speeds like we talked about :)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
      Schrick cams
      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
      KW Coilovers V3
      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
        When do we test this beast? we need to take it on an open track day and compare lines and exit speeds like we talked about :)
        Worked some more. Put the entire front, rear subframes, exhaust, suspension, brakes pretty much everything down under out and changed out the bushings, replaced everything and retorqued it according to specs. Rear end is going in tomorrow after work followed by alignment and ride height set.

I need to convert it to manual from SMG and it would take a while. I want to give that system a full chance before dishing it out.

Would love to go out with you and compare notes via data aq. Prolly the only way to develop the driver. Having Simon's car to bench against would be a plus too.

Simon, hit me up if you need anything. I get stuff shipped from Bimmerworld (www.bimmerworld.com) speak with James (he is THE GUY for our cars) and shipping was not bad either. Paid $1400 for 550lbs (including wheels, tires, heavy control arms, couple sets of rotors etc) in parts delivered in 5 days.

Suspension wise, I would stay away from the street stuff. If you want a decent setup, here is the list:

1) Ground Control single adjustable Konis with camber plates $1600ish
        2) Ground Control double adjustable Konis with camber plates 2600ish
        3) JRZ or Motons ($4.5K to $5K) this is THE setup but if your car wouldnt be converted into a racer (you can run slicks with these and run super stiff rates without running out of valve adjustments) this may be too much for you. Invest in suspension, spend on tires to go fast. Most folks put stickier tires to go fast only to realize the tires run out of their heat cycle range and they are back to square one vs someone who can run fast shocks and semi slicks and still collect some decent times (maximizing the chassis). Good luck to you, your car is prolly the MOST decent/mint M3 at this time and age.

Lutfy

Comment

Hey Simon,

Sorry for not being able to spend more time with you yesterday. Like I said earlier, your BEST bet is to speak with someone who builds and races BMWs for a living. I know James Clay from Bimmerworld and he will take out the time to speak with you, understand your needs and put together a list of parts which would be required including maint parts, reinforcement parts, safety and then performance mods.

Suspension can be tricky. A drifter's suspension is different than an autox guys is different than a track guy is different than a 'slammed yo' street guy. There are atleast 15 different configs/coilovers out there. Which one is best for you? I would speak with James (www.bimmerworld.com)

If you want to go with UUC, speak to either Arjun or Rob (you can give my reference).

In my previous post, I already highlighted the maint parts which I suggest any track junkie should do once they buy a used car and do not know the history of it. A stock E36 M3 out of the box is wicked fast. You can also test it out on DAD to see which area of the car needs upgrade based on your specific needs. IE. in my case, I have plenty of power and couldnt care less about 2-3 more, I want top notch handling and grip, and find the stock braking system more than adequate. Some drivers want more straight line or their braking tech is different than mine and go through pads/rotors more, they may need a BBK (I certainly dont at this point).

Let me know what James says (if he is not there, I would speak with Brian).

They shipped everything for me in a palet and it took around 5 days to reach DXB and another 2 to clear customs.

Hope this helps man, cant wait to see the blue beastie at the track ;)

Lutfy

Comment

:drool: at these mod lists. Can't wait to see it moded and track ready!

GL moding.
            '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
            '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
            '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
            '92 E36 325i Black
            History:
            '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
            '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
            '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
            '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

bump up for update, smell of E36 Modes going on

:allhappy:

Comment

Okay.. here we go..

My parts finally arrived and i am dropping my car tomorrow at evolution garage.

They will do the major service included Spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, ac filter, tie rods, ac belt, fan belt etc..

The following parts will be installed:

Zimmermann OEM Replacement Rotors Front and Rear
                Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Brake Pads Front and Rear
                Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid
                Rogue Engineering OCTANE Short Shifter Kit
                Bimmerworld EVO Stainless Steel Brake Lines
                Motorsport Front Control Arm Buschings solid rubber
                Porwerflex rear tailing arm toe busching
                Front Subrframe Reinforcement Kit
                Powerflex rear subframe mount kit
                TC KLINE True Match Coilover Suspension System with Yellow Fully Adjustable Konis
                TC KLINE Racing Monobal shock mounts

Thats it for now.

Nex Step will be Strut Bars, Sway Bars and a 32mm Alcantara RAID HP Steering Wheel
                After that i ll get a Reuter Motorsport Race Exhaust, Carbonfiber Front Splitter and EVO Class II Rear Wing

Then i will need a 2nd set of Wheels for Semi Slicks

Last step will be 2 Full Bucket Seats, Rear Cage and stripping the car

So be prepared :)
                Last edited by Simon Motorsport; 13-09-2009, 08:14 AM.
                sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                Dubai Investment Park 2
                The Curve Building Complex
                Warehouse No.1
                P.O Box 28638
                Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                Office: +97148830851
                Web: www.simonmotorsport.com
                Email: Franz@simonmotorsport.com
                Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonmotorsportdxb
                Instagram: http://instagram.com/simon_motorsport_dubai#

Comment

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

And tail lights ! :runaway:
                  sigpic
                  07' HFP Accord | Current
                  HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

good good :)

Comment

Yeah... will change the Taillights as well :)
                      sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                      Dubai Investment Park 2
                      Warehouse No.1
                      P.O Box 28638

Comment

Looking good Franz :drums:
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                        Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                        Schrick cams
                        Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                        Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                        KW Coilovers V3
                        WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

please make sure the car looks as good as it performs, if not better :D

BMW history:
                          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

And here are the parts :)

Last edited by Simon Motorsport; 13-09-2009, 08:23 AM.
                            sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                            Dubai Investment Park 2
                            Warehouse No.1
                            P.O Box 28638

Comment

these parts look just fine... now get them installed! :slap:

Comment

The car is already in the garage since yesterday :)
                                sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                                Dubai Investment Park 2
                                Warehouse No.1
                                P.O Box 28638

Comment

Working...
                                X