Excellent News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent News

Finally the e92 DCT software update is here,, I'll get mine this thursday..

Here is some feedback from guys who already did it , I'll add my test later.

1: The Lag between the flick of the paddle and gear shifting is near enough zero now and at full throttle I can't believe any system is quicker at this discipline, such is the improvement.

2: From memory the D modes shifted down a gear more promptly, now it needs a good poke and even then it behaves more like an proper automatic. Down shift coming to a stop is extremely smooth and on this I am finding it perfectly suited to the duel role or sportscar/luxury GT.

3: This one might cause arguments but I am sure, or as sure as I can be that the surge in S4 and S5 especially feels less than before, as does the blip on downshifts. Whether this will have any reflection on the downshift issues on the track, only time will tell and I am not interested in trackdays or racing anymore so someone else with the upgrade will have to find this out and report back.

Summary: On reflection I am very happy with the improvements and it feels more refined than ever before which has to be a plus.

OK, here's an update after an early Sunday morning blast.

Firstly let me say that my preconception of the surge being less than before was a little premature. I was probably not on it enough previously because near the 8000rpm mark the surge it's still there in all it's glory, it's at less than full throttle where I feel the surge is less pronounced.

Secondly the blip in my opinion doesn't feel as misjudged as before, oh and yes to your comment of little or no blip at very low speeds, on this it's exactly the same as before.

Third and probably the best news with the possible exception of the downshift issue being done away with is the lag from the paddle. I launched the car through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I had no problems what so ever flicking the paddle at 8300rpm and the gear shifting before any rev limiter was reached. On this the upgrade is perfect.

D-Modes : There seems to be more of a delay than before when I picked the car up from the dealers yesterday and commented on this, but today some of the delay on downshift seems to be gone, this leads me to believe this gearbox DOES learn driving behaviour, well at least in auto modes.

P.S.
    This thing is BLOODY FAST for a road car. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to seeing one giving a Ferrari 360 a really hard time in a street race on YOUTUBE.

Bring it on.

2008 BMW M3 / White
    2006 Range Rover Sport / Black (sold)
    2004 VW Touareg / Silver (sold)
    2001 Audi A8 / Silver (sold)
    1999 Opel Omega / Silver (sold)
    1998 Lumina LTZ / Maroon (sold)
    1994 Opel Vectra / white (sold)

good news.. sooner or later BMW would do it, but they were fast this time

so did the dealer confirm he got the new software??

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
      good news.. sooner or later BMW would do it, but they were fast this time

so did the dealer confirm he got the new software??

Yes (if they know what was I talking about) I got an appt this thursday.

2008 BMW M3 / White

Comment

Welcome Back Abbood :hi:
        The RPM touching 8300rpm :eek: Im sure Ferrari 360 or a Gallardo will have a hard time now..
        Let us know your review once you get the software update, and dont get lost again :)

Comment

we miss your reviews... and this opens another door for a new kind of review. the DCT update eview :drool:

let's hope they get your software updated ASAP :)

Comment

Wow, sounds good. I'm starting to gravitate towards an E92 M3 *drool*

2006 Sprint Blue Audi RS4 : photography by lifegauge : Revo flash by TAM

Comment

This is reassuring....Awaiting your review on the update :)

And welcome back..

Comment

I spoke to AD Motors today and my service advisor confirmed an update for the DCT is available. I'm taking my car in for the 2,000 km oil change tomorrow and will get the update done too.

I had the car stall on me about 3 times in the last 1,800 kms. The first time was scary because I was entering a round about and almost got rear ended!

Comment

Keep us tuned about the software update..

Comment

meet abbood while you're there ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      Yeah thats a good idea, both of you have E92 M3s..
                      BTW Saif if you see any white E92 M3 at Abu Dhabi motors tomorrow, he is also a member from our Club, Abbood. You both can have a chit-chat together :D

Comment

Will do

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                          Welcome Back Abbood :hi:
                          The RPM touching 8300rpm :eek: Im sure Ferrari 360 or a Gallardo will have a hard time now..
                          Let us know your review once you get the software update, and dont get lost again :)
                          Hay,, thx,, U know ramadan-eid.. then back to work ,, it's been very busy..

we miss your reviews... and this opens another door for a new kind of review. the DCT update eview :drool:

let's hope they get your software updated ASAP :)
                          I did .. read on..

Originally posted by ghoonk View Post
                          Wow, sounds good. I'm starting to gravitate towards an E92 M3 *drool*
                          wana buy it in 2 days.. talk to me

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          This is reassuring....Awaiting your review on the update :)

And welcome back..
                          half of it is here

Originally posted by Saif View Post
                          I spoke to AD Motors today and my service advisor confirmed an update for the DCT is available. I'm taking my car in for the 2,000 km oil change tomorrow and will get the update done too.

I had the car stall on me about 3 times in the last 1,800 kms. The first time was scary because I was entering a round about and almost got rear ended!
                          make sure u tell them there is a new version

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                          Keep us tuned about the software update..
                          Sure..

Any time

Originally posted by Saif View Post
                          Will do
                          Will be honored

First review :

- I just drove it for a couple of hours after the update..
                          - The gear shifting is faster for sure,, specially the down shifts..
                          - I feel the over all power decreased..
                          - I feel then I can close to the limiter more than ever..

Give me a week & I'll right a full review..

2008 BMW M3 / White

Comment

Thats a good news if the gear shifting is faster than before.. Alright, drive it for a week and then give us a full review of it :)

Comment

abbood, I saw your car yesterday afternoon there. I decided to drop mine off Saturday evening so they work on it on Sunday first thing since I didn't wanna leave it there over the weekend.

By the way, what is the Carbon Fiber piece you have in the rear diffuser around the exhaust? It looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X