Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clunking, rasping, plastic and paddles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunking, rasping, plastic and paddles...

Interesting thread title, eh?

Further to my previous posts about my apparent loss of power, I still have the feeling that my baby (E46 M3) is sick. As well as still thinking that the car is underpowered and has lost some throttle reponse, i've also been experiencing some vibration through the steering wheel, a slight clunking noise in the engine and a distinct "rasping noise" from the left hand side of the car upon accelerating. While the rasping sound does sound cool, i don't think it's normal, because it's coming from somewhere near the front wheel.

I had a look under the car yesterday and i've noticed that there's a plastic panel, which is effectivly underneath my driving position on the undercarriage, which is hanging off and hanging about 10cms from the floor. It's only plastic, so i assume it's there for protection purposes, but me or the previous owner have obviously ground-out over a speedbump or something and i'm worried that there might be some other damage that i can't see.

The plastic panel could account for the vibration in the car, and my theory is that there might be further damage (perhaps a small hole) causing the rasping sound. However, i'm just a novice but i assume a rasping sound would relate to the exhaust system, but i thought that the exhaust system was located more to the centre/rear of the under carriage rather than the front left!?!?

I'm off to X-Service on Saturday morning to get Mark to give the whole thing a looking over. He can also have a look at my +ve SMG paddle, which is still playing me up.

Oh the joys of owning a sports car!
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Technically the rasp comes from the section2 of your exhaust system… but while driving you may think that it’s coming from another place. Either ways it is the signature sound of the E46 M3. The under cover shield should be hanging in there properly or it will break completely costing you 500 dirhams to get it replaced if not more.

Mark should do a marvelous job I suppose… but go there ASAP in order to get the powerloss issue sorted out…

On another note, can it be that you have a leak in the engine manifolds (AKA Headers)? It will increase the car's sound and it will definitely reduce the power.

Comment

Was thinking that you might have an air leak somewhere....If you don't mind, I'd like to drive your car and probably be able to pinpoint the problem for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
        On another note, can it be that you have a leak in the engine manifolds (AKA Headers)? It will increase the car's sound and it will definitely reduce the power.
        Morning Bruno,

It's interesting you say this, because not only is there the very prominent rasping (which may, as you point out, be perfectly normal!) but the car does seem to be generally noisier, whether idling or moving. For a few weeks the car seems to have become just a bit "rougher" - the engine note is rough, the noise is greater, there's vibration, clunking, the acceleration seems slower etc.

I'm sure Mark will find a problem if there is one. If not, then i can rest easy knowing that the car is fine and that these problems are all in my head. To be fair, it's still a relatively new car to me so perhaps this is just me "getting used to it"!

I'll let you know what happens.

PS - i did called AGMC and asked them to book me in for a "health-check", but the lady (who with respect didn't speak the best English) said that they don't offer such a service. I know that such a service is certainly available in the UK - it's basically a quick check of the car's major electrical and mechanical components and a visual on the tryes, under carriage, bodywork etc). I am willing to pay over-the-top for AGMC to do this because they would undoubtedly spot any issues and i could then get the work done elsewhere. I'm not sure if AGMC genuinely don't offer the service or if the receptionist didn't understand what i wanted - she said that i "had to have a specific problem"...
        theeldestboy

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
          Was thinking that you might have an air leak somewhere....If you don't mind, I'd like to drive your car and probably be able to pinpoint the problem for ya.
          Thanks Ayham. I'm going to X-Service on Saturday to get it looked at and hopefully he'll identify and fix any problems which are there. Even if the car does get fixed, you're more than welcome to drive my car anyway at the next meet!
          Last edited by the eldest boy; 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM.
          theeldestboy

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
            PS - i did called AGMC and asked them to book me in for a "health-check", but the lady (who with respect didn't speak the best English) said that they don't offer such a service. I know that such a service is certainly available in the UK - it's basically a quick check of the car's major electrical and mechanical components and a visual on the tryes, under carriage, bodywork etc). I am willing to pay over-the-top for AGMC to do this because they would undoubtedly spot any issues and i could then get the work done elsewhere. I'm not sure if AGMC genuinely don't offer the service or if the receptionist didn't understand what i wanted - she said that i "had to have a specific problem"...
            Ask AGMC to do the '45 point check', which will cost you Dhs 1800 and you'll get all the very details of your car.

Comment

It's called "Agency Check" as translated from Arabic....What a joke!! They DO have it!

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
                Even if the car does get fixed, you're more than welcome to drive my car anyway at the next meet!
                It'd be like you going on a date with your girlfriend's innocent, slightly more sensible twin sister!
                theeldestboy

Comment

Then we will Gonna meet there at Xservice as i am also goining to see mark
                  sigpic

Comment

naseem80, is that your M3 in the sig ? Because I remember seeing it on souq.com

Comment

Ya..i was planning to sell because of getting a new Borne baby :) bass i changed my mind cuz i test drive many car, no Satisfaction
                      sigpic

Comment

Red E46 M3 you've got naseem, I dont think it should be sold :nono:
                        BTW Congrats for the new born :clap:

Comment

Working...
                        X