Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild my ZF Steering rack or buy from scrap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild my ZF Steering rack or buy from scrap ?

Hi Bimmeratis,

I am in a situation right now. My rack is leaking as of the moment and there is a little steering play as well since i bought the car (Almost 198k done on it). Until today i was toping up the SF and keeping it live.

But now decided to have a fix on the leak. Well have two options now.

1- I have an offer for used rack in good condition for 900 AED from a 330xi (My car 330i-M Sport)
    2- Rebuild from local garage for 500 including removal and fitting ( 6 months warranty)

Now my question is how reliable is rebuilding as i never heard of any oil seals/gaskets produced bu OEMs for E46 racks, so these local garages using some (crap or may be not )universal rings ?

or to STOP & forget about rebuilding stuffs and to go for option 1 ?

you've sort of answered your question :) unless they are using OEM parts which can be attested for quality. I'd stay away from the rebuild.

Before going for the used one, try to get some history on the salvage car...how old/how many kms was it driven for etc....if it seems to be a good condition, then go for it. Dont expect any warranty on it though.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

how much you want to bet that if you rebuild it will leak again??

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
        you've sort of answered your question :) unless they are using OEM parts which can be attested for quality. I'd stay away from the rebuild.

Before going for the used one, try to get some history on the salvage car...how old/how many kms was it driven for etc....if it seems to be a good condition, then go for it. Dont expect any warranty on it though.
        I went with the 2nd choice. Replaced the rack. Need to change the PS Pump now as i hear some wining noise when turning the steering in a stopped position and also the steering wheel is bit more harder than i wanted.

Originally posted by Bruno
        how much you want to bet that if you rebuild it will leak again??
        I know as i was also not very confident for the re-build option. (A)

Comment

Awesome!

hope the PS pump will be the last of your woes. The symptoms mentioned point straight to the pump.
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Awesome!

hope the PS pump will be the last of your woes. The symptoms mentioned point straight to the pump.
            Haha.. no it doesn't ends there as the journey will continue to the next episode i.e. to replace the struts and shocks to the coilovers. As of now the spring is cut on the front by the PO which i don't entertain. :thumbsdown: More over the car is so F***g stiff which is also another reason to migrate to coil-overs. As always any suggestion ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.M.D View Post
              Haha.. no it doesn't ends there as the journey will continue to the next episode i.e. to replace the struts and shocks to the coilovers. As of now the spring is cut on the front by the PO which i don't entertain. :thumbsdown: More over the car is so F***g stiff which is also another reason to migrate to coil-overs. As always any suggestion ?
              ouch sorry to hear that.... Go for Bilsteins, i've heard good things about them. No personal experience with coilovers, i've always dropped mine by replacing the stock springs. Using H&R and Eibach. Both are good and have no complaints so far.
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

ouch sorry to hear that.... Go for Bilsteins, i've heard good things about them. No personal experience with coilovers, i've always dropped mine by replacing the stock springs. Using H&R and Eibach. Both are good and have no complaints so far.
                Thats cool to hear. You have experience with both ? or either of them ? Because i heard H&R again way too stiff compared to Eibach. Also heard just lowering springs will take out your struts and shocks way earlier. Any such bad experience ?

Comment

Thats cool to hear. You have experience with both ? or either of them ? Because i heard H&R again way too stiff compared to Eibach. Also heard just lowering springs will take out your struts and shocks way earlier. Any such bad experience ?
                  Well both springs are running on different Chassis, so cant offer a like for like comparison.

The H&R is on the e46 and the Eibach on the e92. The e46 is a lot stiffer than stock, but cant compare it to the e92 cause the e92 is more refined and softer from the factory, the eibachs made it stiffer but still comfortable to daily drive (i was impressed by it!)

Regarding wear and tear, no issues so far (thank god!). been running H&R for 4 years+ on the e46. I did the bushing replacement as precautionary after 100k kms. Eibachs on the e92 were recently installed, so all is well so far.

I know many owners running just springs without any damage being done to stock struts.
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Well both springs are running on different Chassis, so cant offer a like for like comparison.

The H&R is on the e46 and the Eibach on the e92. The e46 is a lot stiffer than stock, but cant compare it to the e92 cause the e92 is more refined and softer from the factory, the eibachs made it stiffer but still comfortable to daily drive (i was impressed by it!)

Regarding wear and tear, no issues so far (thank god!). been running H&R for 4 years+ on the e46. I did the bushing replacement as precautionary after 100k kms. Eibachs on the e92 were recently installed, so all is well so far.

I know many owners running just springs without any damage being done to stock struts.
                    Thanks Waszif. This input is again biasing me towards Eibach as my mind was set already for it. Thank You :) Other things i want to ask is , on the Eibach did you go with the Pro-Kit or the Sport-Line series ? I am tending towards Pro-Kit FYI.

Comment

Thanks Waszif. This input is again biasing me towards Eibach as my mind was set already for it. Thank You :) Other things i want to ask is , on the Eibach did you go with the Pro-Kit or the Sport-Line series ? I am tending towards Pro-Kit FYI.
                      i went with the Pro kit :)
                      Current
                      E92 M3 - Mineral White
                      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                      E36 318is
                      E39 540i ///M sport
                      VW CC
                      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                      X